Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 12:28 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb as to how much furniture depreciates percentagewise from original price and what is a fair price to sell items? I'm Talking about nice furniture that was purchased new from places like Crate n Barrel and Pottery Barn about 5 to 7 years ago, it was purchased new and is still in very good shape and only has had 1 owner. I'm talking about dresser, china cabinet, large desk, etc.

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 01:11 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Depends where you are.

Some cities have active markets that will take things on consignment. But if the pieces are large it's hard to move things there and then have to take them back if they don't sell. Shipping costs make selling large pieces online prohibitive. You being able to deliver the piece makes it much more likely it will sell if you list it via Craigslist or some local website. But then there is the problem of having strangers come to your house to look.

Your area might have an auction company that will take your pieces and auction them for a fee. Some companies have sales where they gather pieces from a bunch of different sources and auction them all off together.

Of course you can always do a moving sale out of your garage. That's about the only way, other than Craig's List that you won't owe someone else a considerable fee. Prices depend on where you live. Where I am you'd be lucky to get 25% of a retail price at a house sale, even on pieces that are virtually new.

If you itemize your taxes, you might be better off donating your items and taking a write-off. Habitat for Humanity's ReStore and HabiStores support a good cause and most will pick up your items.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:23 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Prices depend on where you live. Where I am you'd be lucky to get 25% of a retail price at a house sale, even on pieces that are virtually new.
25% is the going rate in my area for furniture in perfect condition.
15-20% is the norm.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:40 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Pitt Chick is correct in my experience. Look at it another way and I am not trying to sound mean, just realistic. You bought what you LOVED at the time of purchase and made use of it for 5 - 7 years. Someone who is buying it used will LIKE it, but chances are they are looking to buy used because they are trying to save some $$ and therefore it may not be exactly what they would buy if purchasing new. (They could also be into the recycling but that is a different subject.)

The dilemma for you is that you could price it high at 50% - 70% and take your chances but if your furniture was expensive to begin with, at a 50 % discount, one could buy lesser quality new. For a very extraordinary piece it might be to 35% but that's the exception to the rule.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:57 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
It could be hard to sell. The buyer needs a truck. That limits your customer base. I sold all of my furniture and all of my parents and never got close to 25%. As mentioned before a lot depends on your area.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:17 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
6 years old, Pottery Barn - 10% of original price (that is 90% depreciation)

Old 05-04-2015, 11:58 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times
Thanks for the responses.

I have the furniture and the person considering buying it will only have to move it literally 10 feet into his apartment and he's an expert at "moving things" so he's handy in that regard, so moving it is not a problem.

As far as 10 percent, yeah, i'm not going to "give it away" because it will cost me a lot of money to replace it if i ever need to replace it at some point.

I guess it comes down to what someone thinks its worth.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:10 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post

Or, what the market will bear- and as everyone else has noted, 15-25% on the dollar.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:16 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post

Agreed... and that would be what the buyer thinks it is worth, not the seller!

Old 05-04-2015, 02:49 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
If you sell it on consignment the consigner will probably sell it for 1/3 of the price new. Then you will get usually 50% of that. Outcome is 16% to you. I have noticed that many folks on Craigslist try to sell for about 70% of what they paid. More power to them, but those ads stay up a long time, so I'm guessing they are not successful. I think for myself 20% of new for something in excellent condition is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating