Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 05:28 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
How valuable is the print? A museum quality framing job for art that size can easily run $1000 or more. I just got a quote for a 24x30 fine art photograph matted and framed for $850. That is fully archival, professionally framed (not Hobby Lobby).

If quality is not important then I'd just look into a Hobby Lobby type place. If you go the DIY route, you can order a frame with acrylic glazing for about $200. Wide Wood Finish Frame | GOW4 Wide Dark Walnut Picture Frame | PictureFrames.com
That's a bit on the high side, just a bit.

I would say with acid free foam core backing. When it comes to over mats with offset movie posters I would't me overly concerned about the need for them. With either acrylic you won't have a problem with the print stick to it, and I seriously doubt that you would have a problem with glass because offset prints are emulsion based like photographs.

Glass is MUCH cheaper than plexi and it really isn't prohibitively heavy. We have a number of poster prints framed under glass and have never had a problem.

Now back to frames, frame material is sold by the linear foot and as has been mentioned prices can vary wildly. Don't fall in love with the first frames that you see or are shown to you, go through as many as you can and you'll see the variance in price. Also, a reputable framer might offer you a deal on expensive frame material that are no longer available. If they have enough in stock you might be able to get a good deal.

Another thing, take a picture of your poster and take that with you. A good framer can get you into the ball park and once you've found the shops that you like, then take your piece in.

As for the online dealers, be careful especially with custom unreturnable frames. All frames are not cut alike, a really good framer will join patterns and grains so that they match. They will also have a state of the art joiner not just a few staples in the back holding the thing together.

Prices I'd say between $450 for exhibit quality framing to the skies the limit (don't ask for museum quality plexi unless you have a pace maker).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:49 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
How valuable is the print? A museum quality framing job for art that size can easily run $1000 or more. I just got a quote for a 24x30 fine art photograph matted and framed for $850. That is fully archival, professionally framed (not Hobby Lobby).

If quality is not important then I'd just look into a Hobby Lobby type place. If you go the DIY route, you can order a frame with acrylic glazing for about $200. Wide Wood Finish Frame | GOW4 Wide Dark Walnut Picture Frame | PictureFrames.com

The print is not valuable, just something I really like, so don't need museum quality framing. I thought plexiglass was less expensive than regular glass. Anecdotally, I have seen the majority of large framed art pieces use plexiglass, perhaps to cut down on costs.

So then would $300 sound like a ballpark number to frame in a 26"x44" print with regular 2" wood frame and plexiglass at a small independent chain?

Old 05-15-2015, 11:19 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
You could do here for well under $200 with non glare plexi and foam core backing. The benefit of plexi is that it's lighter and easier to hang.

Poster Frames ? Wholesale Movie Poster Frame Supplier & Discount Custom Picture Framing. - PosterFrameDepot.com

Old 05-16-2015, 08:37 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
So then would $300 sound like a ballpark number to frame in a 26"x44" print with regular 2" wood frame and plexiglass at a small independent chain?
I haven't ordered anything from Light Impressions for a while but I did do most of my framing
through them. You can opt for a simple metal frame which would come in 2-26" and 2-44" which
would include hanging clips. You can buy picture glass anywhere where they sell glass and they will
also cut it to size. In addition, you'll need picture wire and some type of board behind the print.
There may be other companies as some have mentioned (even for a lower cost) but this company
was very customer satisfaction oriented.
btw: even though it's not museum quality, once it's framed keep it out of direct sunlight (it will
fade the poster image). Also, wood frames do cost more than metal (if you want to cut down
on cost).

You can calculate the cost of what you need and prefer.
Picture Framing : Picture Framing Supplies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating