Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 11:56 PM

131 posts, read 138,895 times

Advertisements

Recently, I moved out of my rental and into my own house in Willamsville. I always saw myself as aWestern New Yorker, and turned down some job offers in New York City and Fairfield County Connecticut. But the one drawback to this house is the kitchen. My goal is to re-do this kitchen. I hope to do the counters first. A friend recommends soapstone countertops, but what do other posters in this forum think of soapstone countertops? Do you like them or hate them, and what countertop material would you use if had the choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 12:39 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Pretty sure Kathryn of Aragon has them as she's always recommending them. It kind of depends on your style (I think soapstone is kind of a traditional look if you like that) -- I prefer quartz. Love the clean, contemporary look; very low-maintenance, doesn't have to get sealed like granite. Congrats and good luck with your new home!

Old 05-17-2015, 12:46 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/home-...l#post36172045

Yes, Kathryn does.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:08 PM

131 posts, read 138,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Pretty sure Kathryn of Aragon has them as she's always recommending them. It kind of depends on your style (I think soapstone is kind of a traditional look if you like that) -- I prefer quartz. Love the clean, contemporary look; very low-maintenance, doesn't have to get sealed like granite. Congrats and good luck with your new home!
Quartz is another countertop material I could consider.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:28 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
I really wanted quartz for our counters but we discovered that granite was less expensive-who knew? So, (I hate to say this but) I "settled" for granite. lol. But, we also have butcher block on the other side of the room.

Cat

Old 05-18-2015, 08:40 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
We had soapstone at our old house and loved them. Definitely want to do them again if (more like when) we redo the kitchen in our current house.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:44 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I really wanted quartz for our counters but we discovered that granite was less expensive-who knew? So, (I hate to say this but) I "settled" for granite. lol. But, we also have butcher block on the other side of the room.

Cat
Depends on where you live. In Iowa we got Cambria Torquay quartz for far less than granite. Here it's way more expensive except for the high end granite.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:31 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Depends on where you live. In Iowa we got Cambria Torquay quartz for far less than granite. Here it's way more expensive except for the high end granite.

Yeah, I can see that. Our granite actually came from "The Granite State" (New Hampshire) which isn't too far from here. I would have preferred "locally grown" granite but it didn't happen. We did get "locally grown" slate for our bathroom floor and when I say "locally grown" I do mean LOCAL! It was quarried literally down the street from us. In fact, they gave us a discount because we were local.

Cat

Old 05-23-2015, 07:37 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
I definitely want to put soapstone counters in my kitchen when I'm ready to start re-doing some stuff. I love the color and patina of soapstone. It also naturally darkens with age.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:24 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
My folks put them in their retirement home (built 6 years ago). They love them, my wife and I love them and we are Absolutely going to put them in our kitchen when it's remodeled (currently has crappy big-box store cabinets that are falling apart with black granite on top).

What I like about the soapstone is the MATTE finish. Glossy counters show every little finger print, smudge, and constantly look dirty. At least dark counters do... we more than hate, abhor would be a good word, our granite counters. Unfortunately, they came with the house (and the crap quality kitchen), and the poor condition of the Rest of the home forced us to leave them in place for the time being. I also like the softer touch/feel of the soapstone, similarly I think it feels a little Warmer to the touch too (though that could simply be my parents home, they have in-floor heating throughout and radiant heat makes everything feel warmer IMHO).

What may be irritating about soapstone to others... you need to seal it once a year (with a food grade oil), there's a lot of inconsistencies with the finish, it scratches easily (though they visually vanish with a little oil, and can be sanded down to remove the physical scratch if desired), and they still show fingerprints/oils... I think it's just far easier to remove them. And obviously, it's not for everyone... just like granite and quartz isn't for everyone (bleh!)

I would suggest that if you're going to redo your kitchen, you buy the best cabinets you can afford First. Counters are WORLDS easier to replace later on than boxes/cabinets. You may already have something of high quality in place, in which case simply ignore this. There's nothing worse (for anyone who really uses their kitchen, I know there are a LOT that are simply show pieces, not work spaces) than crappy cabinets in a functional kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating