Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 01:56 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I have a very modest kitchen in a 2K sq ft house. Being single it is adequate in size for my purposes ... except for storage space.

I have a plan that I am implementing now. I am not really looking for opinions as to design esthetics, just looking for any insights as to any practicality troubles this may cause...
  • So the picture shows the stove wall.
  • To the right I have a nice French 4 door fridge that is working out well for me.
  • the cabinets above and below are filled with storage bins of many sizes, pots and pans, and various kitchen appliances. Above the cabinets, you can see even more plastics.
  • My cast iron (I have about 8 pieces with lids) is usually on a wire/butcher block table to the left, on the stovetop, or in one of the lower cabinets.
I want to move all of those plastics, cast iron, and appliances out of those places where I have to hunt for each and change it as follows.
  • I have built and will hand a decorative pot hanger to the left of the cabinets. It designed to be strong enough to hang all my cast iron.
  • The butcher block/wire table will stay where it is, but will be relieved of the burden of the pots and pans and any plastics.
  • I want to build a new cabinet between the table and the existing counter space.
    • It will be a narrow floor to ceiling (top of current cabinets) unit that is small but large enough to store each appliance in it's own cubby - plugged into a hidden (and swiched) circuit. The interior of each cubby will be sealed for easy cleaning. This way, each time I want to use an appliance I do not have to find a space ofr it on the counter, bring it out, set it up, use it, and then pack it back away. The left wall of the cabinet will be on a hinge so that I can swing the whole thing open for easier cleaning. The right side (next to the counter will be removable for the same purpose.)
    • Or, each shelf will slide forward so that the appliance currently in use will not be obstructed by the cabinet itself. This way the appliances will also be easy to clean.
  • Once the cabinets have been freed of appliances and pots and pans, I will have adequate room for more food, and a better place to store the plastics.
  • In fact, I would like to convert the leftmost two door lower cabinet to a fold down door like a dishwasher and install sliding shelving on which I can stack the plastic containers.

Any helpful thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Opinions?  Kitchen changes...-kitchen-change.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 11:29 AM

Well, so far no responses, so I guess nobody has anything positive to say. But I am pressing on.

I just finished building and installing the pot and pan hanger.

It should support well over 100 lbs. The only thing I have to finish is a way to keep the posts and pans from banging the wall. I intend to insert posts with rubber stops on the ends to hold the cookware off the wall - firmly in place.

I also still need to cut, bend, and paint the metal hangers the will go from the horizontal rod to each pot and or pan... I expect those bends to be difficult without a proper vise. And I have not yet decided if they should also be black... Or silver/chrome.
Attached Thumbnails
Opinions?  Kitchen changes...-pot-pan-hnager.jpg   Opinions?  Kitchen changes...-pot-pan-hnager1.jpg   Opinions?  Kitchen changes...-pot-pan-hnager2.jpg  

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 05-24-2015 at 12:10 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 12:31 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
I guess I'm not sure what you are asking us to comment on. Without seeing exactly what you need and what space you have outside of the couple cabinets above your stove, it's hard to offer suggestions.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I guess I'm not sure what you are asking us to comment on. Without seeing exactly what you need and what space you have outside of the couple cabinets above your stove, it's hard to offer suggestions.
I guess, what I was looking for was anyone who has done anything similar and any usefulness problems. But I appreciate your feedback too.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:50 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Well, so far no responses, so I guess nobody has anything positive to say. But I am pressing on.

I just finished building and installing the pot and pan hanger.

It should support well over 100 lbs. The only thing I have to finish is a way to keep the posts and pans from banging the wall. I intend to insert posts with rubber stops on the ends to hold the cookware off the wall - firmly in place.

I also still need to cut, bend, and paint the metal hangers the will go from the horizontal rod to each pot and or pan... I expect those bends to be difficult without a proper vise. And I have not yet decided if they should also be black... Or silver/chrome.
FWIW, I didn't have anything negative to say either!

Sounds like this is going to work well for you and I hope you will continue to post updates and photos as you work on it.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:58 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
How deep is the new, narrow, tall cabinet? I have a wide cabinet left of my fridge which has one door at eye level which has two shelves behind it. Then under that door, I have four drawers. My cabinet is as deep as my fridge. There is nothing to the left of the cabinet as it is the entry way from the living room to the dining area. That entry way is about 6 ft wide. My cabinet is too deep for me to reach items/food in the back. What I should have done was to create another door on the left side of the cabinet and hinged along the left side. I would've made the additional cabinet door narrow, but as tall as the whole unit (floor to ceiling) height. I could've stored a mop, broom, dust pan, step stool, fly swatter, aprons, etc in that narrow tall cabinet. This would've made better use of the deep cabinet I have now.
Attached Thumbnails
Opinions?  Kitchen changes...-cabinet.jpg   Opinions?  Kitchen changes...-fridge-cabinet.jpg  

Old 05-26-2015, 12:01 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
How deep is the new, narrow, tall cabinet? I have a wide cabinet left of my fridge which has one door at eye level which has two shelves behind it. Then under that door, I have four drawers. My cabinet is as deep as my fridge. There is nothing to the left of the cabinet as it is the entry way from the living room to the dining area. That entry way is about 6 ft wide. My cabinet is too deep for me to reach items/food in the back. What I should have done was to create another door on the left side of the cabinet and hinged along the left side. I would've made the additional cabinet door narrow, but as tall as the whole unit (floor to ceiling) height. I could've stored a mop, broom, dust pan, step stool, fly swatter, aprons, etc in that narrow tall cabinet. This would've made better use of the deep cabinet I have now.
You could put in pull out shelves so you can reach things in the back. I did that with the cabinet over my fridge. There's still some lost space in the back of that one, but for eye level shelving, you could access almost the full depth.

Although I like the idea of the broom closet too, as those are always awkward to find storage for.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:55 AM

5 posts, read 5,209 times
An idea of home renovation can provide many advantages. This idea can improve our home's look and attraction. Well, then, good luck for your kitchen renovation.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
As deep as the rest of the cabinets.

BTW, if you want doors on the left side. I see no reason you couldn't add them post-install.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:57 PM

671 posts, read 1,118,837 times
Since you said cast iron I worry that they will not stay on the pot rack. But the idea is a good use of space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating