Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 11:43 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,261 times

Advertisements

The house I bought has a stepped kitchen counter for eating with the sink on the other side. I' thinking about removing the step and replacing the counter top with a flat piece to make the eating area counter height.
Has anyone recently done this? Can you ballpark the cost for me?
I know I will need to relocate the electrical outlets but I shouldn't have to move any plumbing. I could probably match get a close match to the current granite, but maybe I should go with something completely different.

Opinions welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Changing a stepped kitchen counter-stepped-counter.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 06:05 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Dismantle-200
Rewire recepticles for pop-ups-400 (these are the easiest to retain code compliance)
Rewire disposal with air switch-200
(Counter doesn't look like granite) new solid surface countertop- approx. 100sq/ft
Remove and reinstall sink-200
Corbel brackets to support overhang-400 (paint/stained, installed)

...2500 give or take

Old 05-26-2015, 08:00 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
We did just the opposite, we took a peninsula and turned it into a stepped counter. It wasn't hard. We (okay, my husband) did all the work himself. The most expensive part was the countertop. However, there is something you might want to consider - does the flooring go under where that wall with the stepped up counter? If not, how hard will it be to extend the flooring under there?

Old 05-26-2015, 11:08 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
I like the idea - I chose to put a solid single height counter on my double island as I'm not a fan of stepped counters. But I think you'd be making a mistake of not replacing the entire countertop unless you found the exact match for what is there (meaning if it's a manufactured product and not slab granite), and they can install with a minimally visible seam. Otherwise, just pick out something new. You can make it a focal point with something interesting, it doesn't have to match all the other countertops in the kitchen.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:51 AM

Thanks for all your advice. I do mean to replace the entire countertop (it is a light granite, the picture is washed out a bit) I meant trying to match the granite that is on the rest of the kitchen counters, sorry for the confusion.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Thanks for all your advice. I do mean to replace the entire countertop (it is a light granite, the picture is washed out a bit) I meant trying to match the granite that is on the rest of the kitchen counters, sorry for the confusion.
Oh, phew! Personally, I'd probably lean towards something entirely different rather than trying to find a match to the other counters. Coordinating, of course, but mix it up a bit.

And I'd also upgrade to a killer faucet, since it will be a showpiece.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:12 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
I like stepped counters. If I'm tired and don't want to clean up in the evening i can leave things and they can't be seen. We are remodeling and will have a step, but the top will only overlap about 1 1/2" either side. No one will be eating there.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:57 AM

5 posts, read 5,208 times
Yes dear. Kitchen happens to be the most expensive rooms to be remodeled. This is to improve your home value. Juts be ready with the expensive cost.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:50 PM

Hi Tek_Freek - I too thought about the "hide the mess" factor, but I think having the lower counter is a bigger item for me. I've never been comfortable getting up and down from a high stool, and since I broke my ankle even more so.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:08 PM

I have this sink - it's so big and deep that I can load it up with dishes and even pots and pans and the mess is hidden.

KOHLER | K-3821-1 | Vault Top-Mount or Under-Mount Sink with Single Faucet Hole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating