Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2015, 06:29 AM

676 posts, read 936,602 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a house to buy. In the past I have had no themes in my decorating. Just a mish mash of things. I look at magazines and wish my rooms looked like they were magazine looking rooms if that makes sense. I love "swampy" themes and nature, earthy things. I'm not a Martha Stewart sort (sorry). I wish there were "theme" decorating magazines. Is anyone in to decorating here and can suggest things I like. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 06:48 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
Is anyone in to decorating here and can suggest things I like.
Sorry, but only you can do that!

I have rarely decorated with a theme - the kids' bedrooms and their bath were the only rooms. And now that they are gone, so are their themes.

I always bought furniture and accessories that caught my eye... which over the years made me realize that I lie the Arts & Crafts/Mission style.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:57 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
Never, ever themed any decor in my home.

I use paint color, trim and flooring to set the tone - or vibe if you will.

All the furniture and "stuff" is an eclectic mix. And I don't have a lot of "stuff" or dust catchers around as I have pets who would destroy them........and I hate dusting.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:42 AM

676 posts, read 936,602 times
Thanks..I appreciate the info.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:54 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
I think you probably already have a theme and just don't realize it. I never thought I had a theme as I didn't put a whole lot of thought into things. However, I do know I'm attracted to calming whites and lights and large comfortable furniture. I happened to look on a website and apparently I'm cottage or coastal cottage. Having that label does help because it helps me find things more easily.

I'd suggest going to a site like Wayfair. They have a dropdown menu where they give examples of different styles. That might help you identify yours.

Last edited by bande1102; 07-21-2015 at 10:57 AM..

Old 07-21-2015, 10:33 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
I think part of your problem is that I don't understand what 'SWAMP' means. I am certain that what I am thinking is not a "theme" that I have ever heard of, which is fine, I certainly learn a lot everyday, and perhaps I missed this trend. Can you describe what that means to you and are you male or female.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:33 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
I am looking at a house to buy. In the past I have had no themes in my decorating. Just a mish mash of things. I look at magazines and wish my rooms looked like they were magazine looking rooms if that makes sense. I love "swampy" themes and nature, earthy things. I'm not a Martha Stewart sort (sorry). I wish there were "theme" decorating magazines. Is anyone in to decorating here and can suggest things I like. Thanks in advance.
I look at a lot of home decorating magazines and one of my favorites is the HGTV magazine. My problem is that I can't afford to have my rooms look like theirs but I CAN repurpose things to get kinda close.

I guess I'd call my "theme" eclectic. A little bit of this and a little bit of that but it all fits. I keep things simple because I'm not big on cleaning knick knacks, etc. so not much of that. I just bought this house in March so I'm still working on things. Not adding anymore furniture, etc. till I finish all the interior painting. Now I'll be thinking of "themes" though...lol

Old 07-21-2015, 11:42 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Eclectic, like my Arts & Crafts, is a style... not a theme.

Theme would be a dinosaur room, or a Minions room, etc.
A friend had a Pillsbury Doughboy kitchen; another had a strawberry kitchen.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:54 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
Designers don't usually like the term "theme" because it is so limiting and quickly goes out of fashion. The term "style" might be what you are looking for. It sounds like you like earthy, natural comfortable things. I did a google search for earthy and plants for interior design, see if anything appeals to you with that: https://www.google.com/search?q=eart...gn+with+plants

Old 07-21-2015, 05:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I have seen such horrible pastiches in themed hotels and restaurants, that I steer away from themes in my decorating. I actually don't mind most restaurants, but one motel sticks out in my mind--it was tacky awful.

I suggest that if you want to use, say a beachy theme, which is stylish right now, you can do this with a minimum of shells and rope, and pretty normal looking furniture. You might want to paint the walls a faded blue. Not sure how to visualize "swamp" unless you want lots of large house plants and camo curtains? But I'd add whatever you have in mind with a light hand, so you can redo the theme part easily when you get tired of it.

And, for inspiration, you can often find themed wallpaper if you spend some time looking through wallpaper books.

I do think using a garden, or a certain part of the world as inspirations would work in a room. But honestly I'd use a light touch with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating