Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 07:25 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times

Advertisements

I bought this house a few months ago and knew I was going to paint the whole interior sooner rather than later. I have ceilings that go from 8 feet to 10 feet and the walls are huge. Should be so easy to paint, right? Well, they aren't. They are all rough textured and, truthfully, a brush does better for coverage than a roller. Too many dips, dales and 'holes'. I DO use the rollers though and it works but takes a long time. I'd give just about anything for some nice smooth drywall! lol At least all the walls are white so it's not a chore to cover with colors and it looks nice when done.

And then there's what I call "the green room". Yikes! It's a 400 sq. ft. addition that comprises the TV room, dining area and a separate large laundry room. The only room in the house that they put color in and it was dark green...maybe Forest Green? You would think an addition would be drywall but it isn't. The walls are actually the SAME thing the exterior of the house is and the texture is like rough cut lumber. Again with all the dips, dales, lines and holes just like 'real' lumber. This room has been an experience! I used two gallons of Kilz to cover up that god awful green and it STILL showed through. I did use the one to cover dark colors. Then it took 2+ coats of the pale creamy yellow I chose to cover that. I had to use the brush a lot in that room because it has tons of window and door trim. I am, thankfully, nearly done with that room. And I'm loving it but, whew, am I tired! lol

Now, after all that...I have a question or two. The rest of the house, as I said, is all white stucco but some of it looks kind of rough. The thing is you don't notice the rough spots unless the light is shining on the wall 'just so'. Looks like they patched holes or something and not very neatly. So, should I do some serious sanding on those spots before I paint? It'll probably take the stucco all off and then I'll have flat spots in there. I also noticed on the wall leading to my bedroom that one half of the wall has a white semi gloss paint but the rest of it is white flat. Didn't notice that till the light was 'just right' either! I want to paint all of it a flat paint but how will the semi gloss work under that? Will it "disappear" with the new coat of paint?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 10:43 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Maybe two coats!

Old 07-22-2015, 03:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
On the semi gloss paint, I'd ask at your local paint store. I think any problem would be due to an oil based paint under latex. But unless the house is pretty old, I'd guess that is not a problem.

I feel for you painting the rough textured wall. You are using a napper roller for rough surfaces, right?

Buying Guide: Roller Covers*at The Home Depot

Old 07-23-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
On the semi gloss paint, I'd ask at your local paint store. I think any problem would be due to an oil based paint under latex. But unless the house is pretty old, I'd guess that is not a problem.

I feel for you painting the rough textured wall. You are using a napper roller for rough surfaces, right?

Buying Guide: Roller Covers*at The Home Depot
The house is 23 years old but the paint isn't that old. I've been using 3/4" nap for rough surfaces. It works pretty well but still have to 'fill in' some spots and do two coats.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:32 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
How are you rolling? If straight up and down..........that's not the way to do it.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:25 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,427 times
Regarding the heavily textured walls and lack of paint coverage.

Use a 1" Purdy Marathon roller cover.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:00 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and all. I am happy to report that my room is DONE! It took four coats...two primer and two color...to get it done but I finally did. Some places needed more but got that done too. I thought I was going to have to paint all the trim but it just needed a good cleaning. Whew!

Next room will be the guest bathroom. ALL of my rooms have a 'problem' with high walls/ceilings and that's always fun. I'm pondering how I'll get the very top of the walls painted over the vanity/sink area. The ladder won't reach and neither will my step stool. I'd be scared to put something on the vanity top to stand on so... Heck that ladder scares me when I get to the fourth step up! lol

Old 07-29-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Taylor View Post
Definitely...!! It's too much work. Sanding is not a solution for these patches. It works only when there is a little bit of patches in the walls. Hire some professional & use good quality paint. Try something trendy designing which looks good. I am sharing an article with you on top interior design trends. Hope you will enjoy it.
10 Trends To Try In Your Interior Design - Porch Advice
Thanks for the link! I like suggestion #9 because I'm a pastels person and that's, pretty much, what I'm going with in my house. Can add 'pops' of color later.

I should be so lucky as to afford a professional! lol I'm using a good Glidden paint so I think I'm okay there. Now I just have to pick out the rest of my colors and that's the hard part. So many beautiful colors to choose from. The front half of my house is on the dark side because of the shade from a giant Mulberry tree in the front yard so I want those rooms to be lighter.

What I REALLY need is a couple of big strong guys to MOVE things for me. In my laundry room I feel stymied because I simply cannot move the front loader washer and drier OR the big double wide fridge/freezer to paint behind them. Same thing in the kitchen, I guess.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:54 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
I just read this post and we went through the same thing when we repainted our house. Our walls are textured and required multiple coats for complete coverage. It was a pain, but worth it in the end.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I just read this post and we went through the same thing when we repainted our house. Our walls are textured and required multiple coats for complete coverage. It was a pain, but worth it in the end.
It has been worth it here too. I am so happy with the color in that room and it makes me happy to just look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating