Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2016, 06:42 AM

440 posts, read 549,880 times

Advertisements

First Off, I am an inexperienced as I could be with interior design and decorating in general , so please understand if I do not provide enough info or just speak rubbish.

I am about to move into (1) of (3) possible apartments and as my main and ONLY piece of furniture is the standard late 90's early 00's maroon leather couch and love seat .. Being on a rather fixed budget opted to take these hand me downs until can purchase something else.

Would like some ideas , suggestions, anything that I can pair with these couches and still be suitable for when I do purchase a more design friendly furniture. Even a starting place would help.

I'm a late 20's man and will be living in the city and tend to enjoy a more industrial minimalist look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 06:50 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
Can you post pictures of the couch? A late 90's maroon leather couch is kind of non-specific. There were lots of couches made in the late 90's/early 2000's.

What do you mean by pair with the couches? Begin by thinking about what kind of seating you need. What other furniture do you need? Lamps? etc.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:15 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
It depends upon the color of the floors and walls in the apartment you decide on. Maroon goes with most neutrals, like tan or gray, so it shouldn't be very hard. Most likely, the apartment will be painted the dreaded tan with beige carpet, which should look fine with maroon.

Firstly, will your apartment really be large enough for both a sofa and a loveseat? If not, get rid of one. At first, you can get by with just a sofa, some good lighting, an ottoman that doubles as a coffee table, and a TV. Live with these things for a while and then see what you are missing.
When you choose something new, I would disregard the maroon sofa and start building the room that you really want.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Is the maroon a purplish red, or is it a dark red. I have a dark red leather couch and chair. I painted my walls with Benjamin Moore's Hot springs Stones. I moved an old green leather chair in, along with some dark wood pieces.

I don't think you should feel too inhibited by the dark red or maroon, except I don't think you should use a lot of oranges, yellows or warm wood tones in the same room. Add some cooler neutrals, and I wouldn't be afraid of grays and black. And green seems to go with everything.

If your upholstered pieces are bulky, make sure new pieces look in scale with them.

Decide how you want to use your main room up front do you need to include an eating area or office? If so, then try to zone off your space to accommodate those uses.

I assume you will have a TV. Group your seating around the TV. Don't line your furniture up along the walls, in a row. Provide table space around your seating for lamps and as a place to set glasses.

If you buy another upholstered piece, and you are keeping the maroon leather pieces, then have the new piece roughly the same height as the old.

Good luck!

Old 06-08-2016, 08:59 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don't think you should feel too inhibited by the dark red or maroon, except I don't think you should use a lot of oranges, yellows or warm wood tones in the same room. Add some cooler neutrals, and I wouldn't be afraid of grays and black. And green seems to go with everything.!
Another color that goes well with maroon is blue with a bit of gray in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating