Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 01:25 PM

6 posts, read 7,645 times

Advertisements

hey guys,
need some help figuring out how to set up my family room in a new home. The room in question is about 30 feet long and 13 feet wide. There is no south wall (opens into the foyer), the east wall is 13 feet wide and the west wall is about 9 feet wide with the rest open to the kitchen. The north wall has two large double windows bracketing an extra wide fireplace. So something like this:

__WWFFFFWW__
|.....................|
|.....................|
......................|

where ..... is empty space.

The room has a 2 story ceiling and the fireplace is stone (no mantle) from floor to ceiling. I was initially planning on putting it on the east wall because there is more room and it can be centered to the room, but if I place seating in view of the fireplace, it is now over 15 feet away from the television. Any advice? It's a wood burning fireplace, and I don't think it would be easy to mount a tv above it (not to mention, I don't want to get a crick in my neck whenever I watch tv).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 01:38 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Photo of room from different angles would be helpful.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Photo of room from different angles would be helpful.
See attached.

These are pictures from the former occupants.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help placing television-fam1.jpg   Need help placing television-fam2.jpg   Need help placing television-fam3.jpg  

Old 08-28-2015, 05:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I like the place where it is now. I assume that is where the necessary plugs are? The only other place I would think would work is over the fireplace which opening is low enough to be visually OK. However you have to figure out what to do with the cords, or have new outlets installed directly in the stone, which could be a pain, and could limit you later. As it is place now, there is room for speakers and other components. I assume the unit is going with the previous owners? You can find a unit to replace it.

I am not sure what I am seeing directly across from the TV unit. You could also, I think, place a media center there.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I like the place where it is now. I assume that is where the necessary plugs are? The only other place I would think would work is over the fireplace which opening is low enough to be visually OK. However you have to figure out what to do with the cords, or have new outlets installed directly in the stone, which could be a pain, and could limit you later. As it is place now, there is room for speakers and other components. I assume the unit is going with the previous owners? You can find a unit to replace it.

I am not sure what I am seeing directly across from the TV unit. You could also, I think, place a media center there.
Thanks for the response. The problem with putting the TV on either wall is that in order for the couches to be central and somewhat facing the fireplace, they will be over 15 feet away from the TV. I would need a 100+ inch screen for proper viewing at that distance.

and yeah, above the fireplace seems like it would be a major hassle in almost every way to make happen.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:20 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,523 times
I would have a mantle built which would hide the wiring needed to hang the tv above the fireplace. Entertainment unit next to doorway is too busy

But then, that's my taste. I think you need a mantle anyway.

I like the tv higher than I use to think I would, but your fireplace doesn't look that high to me, as the above poster said.

Do the blackout shades stay?

Old 08-28-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I would have a mantle built which would hide the wiring needed to hang the tv above the fireplace. Entertainment unit next to doorway is too busy

But then, that's my taste. I think you need a mantle anyway.

I like the tv higher than I use to think I would, but your fireplace doesn't look that high to me, as the above poster said.

Do the blackout shades stay?
Sounds good, but what do you do with the DVD player, cable set top box, receiver and speakers?

Old 08-28-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandlewood View Post
Thanks for the response. The problem with putting the TV on either wall is that in order for the couches to be central and somewhat facing the fireplace, they will be over 15 feet away from the TV. I would need a 100+ inch screen for proper viewing at that distance.

and yeah, above the fireplace seems like it would be a major hassle in almost every way to make happen.
What is the measurement of the screen in the pictures?

Old 08-29-2015, 05:07 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,161 times
That is really an awkward room!! It is not wide enough to hang a tv over the fireplace unless you want a permanent crick in your neck. Sit on your sofa across the the fireplace and stare at the place your TV would go for 10 minutes and then see how you like it.

Is there another room you could use for the TV? If you have to mount it above the fireplace, get a mounting system that can be pulled down to viewing height.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:12 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Sounds good, but what do you do with the DVD player, cable set top box, receiver and speakers?

Those things belong to the person using the house now. If the Op has to buy a new tv to hang, maybe he won't need all of that extra equipment

The tv on the stand where it is sitting now doesn't look that much higher than it would be above the fireplace to me.

and because I am old, I would get gas logs.

I agree that its an awkward room for a large tv. Getting rid of the wallpaper and the busy entertainment unit would calm it down. Then you could move the sofa up and get rid of the coffee table.

Who is going to use this room?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating