Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 07:07 PM

606 posts, read 1,397,617 times

Advertisements

The room that I am putting it in is square, so I feel that the table should be square or round.

Junebug, how long ago did you find your table at Sam's? Do you know the maker?

Thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 07:12 PM

22,421 posts, read 47,411,742 times
Sooo... no server, no china hutch, bar, etc.
People put rectangular tables in square rooms to allow for the extra dining furniture.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:37 PM

606 posts, read 1,397,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sooo... no server, no china hutch, bar, etc.
People put rectangular tables in square rooms to allow for the extra dining furniture.
It wouldn't work in this room. I WANT a square table!

Old 10-05-2015, 06:19 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,499,468 times
What is the room size? I have a spouse who has trouble visualizing, so I often cut out cardboard in dimensions of proposed furniture & lay it out in rooms. Visually the table you have in mind will be about the size of a king size mattress (78x80). I would not like a table that size because it would feel more like a conference table than a dining room table---the distance across the table would not be the least bit intimate.

In your situation, I would go with a round table.

Our heavy dining room table is an old family piece 41x102...the 41 inches across is about as far as I'd want for comfortable conversation.

Also consider the dimensions you are considering would be large unwieldy piece to transport & move through doorways, etc.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:16 AM

492 posts, read 636,132 times
In my square dining room I have a dining table that at it's largest size is 84" round. I've found it is a great size for 10 person dinner parties, and we have no trouble holding conversations across the table. When I bring the table down to 72" round it is pretty intimate. I don't doubt for a second the OP will find a 72" square table to be the perfect size for her uses.

I'm also one who doesn't like extra "dining" furniture such as hutches. Just not my thing I guess.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 933 times
6’ is pretty huge nor is it easily available in the market. I would ask you to consult your design consultants as they would design your dining room such that you wouldn't have to purchase much of indoor furniture. We did the same. I own a house in Walsh Street Thunder Bay, Ontario,we hardly purchased any indoor furniture, Thanks to the designer, the couch, the bedroom, dining table were all a part of the interior designing. A one stop shop for all your problems.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-13-2015 at 10:24 AM..

Old 10-13-2015, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 912 times
6’ is pretty huge nor is not easily available in the market ! I would ask you to consult any professional interior designing firms, as they would design your dining room such that you wouldn't have to purchase much of indoor furniture. We did the same. I own a house in Walsh Street Thunder Bay, ON ,we hardly purchased any indoor furniture,Thanks to the designer, the couch, the bedroom, dining table were all a part of the interior designing.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-13-2015 at 10:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating