Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 09:38 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times

Advertisements

I'll spare my long story but I'm in a situation where I need new furniture, broke from medical issues and not able to shop in stores.

I've been looking online and found a bed I like on a web site allmodern.com and the price was great, free shipping and good reviews. Then I saw they are part of Wayfair, which I have heard of but never bought from.

I'm also not in a position to waste a dime, not that anyone is but I'm disabled. So I cant be surprised with a bunch of problems.

Has anyone bought from them? Opinions? Experience? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 11:07 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Lots of info here, including a link to the Better Business Bureau.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wayfair+reviews

Old 09-27-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Lots of info here, including a link to the Better Business Bureau.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wayfair+reviews
Thanks, I did that already. I was looking for comments from anyone here that purchased.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:59 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
I've bought a few smaller things from Wayfair - quality was mixed, but, based on price, I was expecting that. For the most part, the customer reviews are pretty close. A hall table for $79, for instance, is going to be made of mdf and veneer (hopefully wood veneer). Wayfair has a reasonable return policy - I've only returned one thing and that was a throw quilt, so it was light and easily shipped.

The odd thing about Wayfair is that you can find exactly the same thing from different client sellers - for very different prices.

I've also purchased a few things from Dot & Bo (REALLY irritating policy they have - you must first register with the site before you can even browse offerings) and been fairly pleased with some of the unique things they have. I bought a chest of drawers that I had mixed feelings about, although I kept it in the end. I'd hesitate before making big furniture purchases there again.

A friend buys from Crate and Barrel and West Elm and hasn't had any problems.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I've bought a few smaller things from Wayfair - quality was mixed, but, based on price, I was expecting that. For the most part, the customer reviews are pretty close. A hall table for $79, for instance, is going to be made of mdf and veneer (hopefully wood veneer). Wayfair has a reasonable return policy - I've only returned one thing and that was a throw quilt, so it was light and easily shipped.

The odd thing about Wayfair is that you can find exactly the same thing from different client sellers - for very different prices.

I've also purchased a few things from Dot & Bo (REALLY irritating policy they have - you must first register with the site before you can even browse offerings) and been fairly pleased with some of the unique things they have. I bought a chest of drawers that I had mixed feelings about, although I kept it in the end. I'd hesitate before making big furniture purchases there again.

A friend buys from Crate and Barrel and West Elm and hasn't had any problems.
Thank you. Researching more, I see great reviews on some sites about All Modern and bad reviews on others, including their FB page. Most seem to be about shipping.
I like Dot & Bo, Crate and Barrel but they seem to be a lot more expensive. Not familiar with West Elm.

Since the shipping is free, I guess I can order one thing and see how it goes. If all well, then try other things.
I wanted to buy from World Market but the shipping and surcharges are ridiculous.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:21 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Shipping is one of the big issues in on-line sales, particularly when you are buying things big enough that they have to be truck freight. Amazon has UPS trained (or vice-versa, who knows) so that UPS is incredibly easy and smooth to use. The freight companies, though, do NOT have the same customer service mentality as UPS or even USPS. Trying to get a day of delivery, much less a shorter several-hour window, is almost impossible and returns tend to be very expensive and very slow.

The freight company that Dot & Bo used for my largest purchase from them took more than 6 weeks to truck the item from Missouri to Oregon and the item spent the majority of the time on a shipping dock in Salt Lake City, just waiting. Initially they tried to tell me delivery would be somewhere between Wednesday and Friday and it took a lot of back and forth to get the final "Thursday morning" promise (which they made by about 30 minutes).

Old 09-27-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Shipping is one of the big issues in on-line sales, particularly when you are buying things big enough that they have to be truck freight. Amazon has UPS trained (or vice-versa, who knows) so that UPS is incredibly easy and smooth to use. The freight companies, though, do NOT have the same customer service mentality as UPS or even USPS. Trying to get a day of delivery, much less a shorter several-hour window, is almost impossible and returns tend to be very expensive and very slow.

The freight company that Dot & Bo used for my largest purchase from them took more than 6 weeks to truck the item from Missouri to Oregon and the item spent the majority of the time on a shipping dock in Salt Lake City, just waiting. Initially they tried to tell me delivery would be somewhere between Wednesday and Friday and it took a lot of back and forth to get the final "Thursday morning" promise (which they made by about 30 minutes).
Yes, I know it's a problem. I'm shocked that All Modern offers free shipping but that might be sign of trouble. Hope not, I ordered a bed frame. I'll be on an air mattress until it gets delivered.
I owned a company that shipped large items and I used to handle imports and delivery up and down east coast of large deliveries. I know shipping can be a nightmare. Thanks for your help and I'll update when/ if it shows up. Ha.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:02 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Thanks, I did that already. I was looking for comments from anyone here that purchased.
Hmmm. A lot of people in those links did purchase - and review - Wayfair.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Hmmm. A lot of people in those links did purchase - and review - Wayfair.
Ok but as I'm sure you know, stores manipulate some reviews.They do on almost any review sites.
Again...I was asking here to see if anyone HERE shopped on that site. Sorry if it's bothering you for some reason, I am asking HERE . If you did't shop on those sites, it's ok. You don't have to answer me.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:20 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I'll spare my long story but I'm in a situation where I need new furniture, broke from medical issues and not able to shop in stores.

I've been looking online and found a bed I like on a web site allmodern.com and the price was great, free shipping and good reviews. Then I saw they are part of Wayfair, which I have heard of but never bought from.

I'm also not in a position to waste a dime, not that anyone is but I'm disabled. So I cant be surprised with a bunch of problems.

Has anyone bought from them? Opinions? Experience? Thank you.
One thing you need to keep in mind is, what is the return policy? I have bought a few things from Wayfair, Overstock, and a few others. They all have very low shipping, and I have been happy with my purchases. IF, however, I had wanted to return something, it might have been costly.
I always read the reviews carefully, and go by what others have said about the product. Also, many things come knocked down and need to be assembled. Are you physically able to put things together? If not, it might be worth a few dollars more to have a local store deliver and set into place for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating