Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 03:47 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times

Advertisements

Owned a few houses, but they never had a garden tub.
Regular ones are just fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 04:28 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
There are some people who consider a tub in the master mandatory and would not buy a house without one, so yes, you narrow your potential market of buyers.
Now that's the heart of the question....

Is there a net gain or a net loss if there's a garden tub.

Maybe I'm way out of touch (I know I see things differently than most), but I believe you'll have more potential buyers with a master that's sans garden tub/optimized with a larger shower, closet and more room.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:53 PM

450 posts, read 550,305 times
we have owned homes with jetted tub and then another with garden tub. Here a garden tub means an oversized large tub it doesn't need to have jets. We used it a lot and I would never buy a home without a nice bathtub in the master bath.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:21 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
We recently moved into 30 yr.old house. I MISSS MY BIG OLD GARDEN TUB WITH JETS!!!
It was great for relaxing with a nice bottle of wine, candles, soaking salts.
It was much appreciated when sore muscles needed some tlc.

Now the tub we have now...just collects dust!

Old 10-10-2015, 11:14 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times
No jets, just a regular garden tub was put in this house built almost 10 years ago...
We've used it a few times, that's all...the shower is much easier to use.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:59 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
I say we use ours very rarely. But it's nice to have when you want it.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:35 AM

935 posts, read 3,447,733 times
Currently the trend is to go with large walking showers that have steam and multiple shower heads. I think this is just that...a trend.

In today's busy society many find showers more convenient and rarely sit down in a tub. There are still plenty who love to take soaking baths though. I'm one of them. I would say that if your homes demographic includes families with small children, then some sort of tub in one bathroom is crucial. If not, then there could be more flexibility, but if you loose the tub, a certain number of people who want a soaking tub will move on.

FYI. I did research on jetted tubs for an interior design (NKBA) class a few years ago. I won't go into the gory details here, you don't want to know what is in those pipes any more than you want to know what is in your hot dogs. Needless to say, I won't own another one.

The reason I did that particular paper was because I had a lower end jetted tub that came with a new condo I purchased just out of college. I used it regularly (2-3 times/week) and cleaned it with some chemicals that came from the manufacturer. So long as I did this, it was fine. But then I had to leave town for work for 6 months. During that time the water that was sitting in the tubes developed red-algee and I could never get it clean again after that no matter what I tried. This is pretty typical. Jets that are used regularly will be cleaner than ones that are used rarely. The exception are higher end tubs with removable individual jets.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:37 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I have used ours 3 times in 5 years. If it didn't have a big fat window over it (my house is brick) I would have ripped it out long ago, and enlarged the shower, which is about the size of a phone booth.
As long as a house has a bathtub for the kids, the Master doesn't need one. IF my bathroom was big enough, I'd have no issue with a tub, but if it is taking up too much valuable space, then I don't want it.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:15 PM

698 posts, read 2,841,816 times
Ours is just an oversized tub, no jets. We had a jetted one in the last house and it was used way more because it also had the shower head and curtain. It was also a " slimmer" design that made it easier to get in and out of.

The one in this house is just the huge tub set into an alcove, no showerhead.

Would the ability to shower in it make it more appealing to you?

Thanks for the great feedback!

Old 10-11-2015, 03:25 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
The one in this house is just the huge tub set into an alcove, no showerhead.

Would the ability to shower in it make it more appealing to you?

Thanks for the great feedback!
No. Usually there is a shower stall and a separate tub. Putting in a shower head wouldn't look right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating