Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 06:36 AM

102 posts, read 101,507 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. I have just finished renovating my kitchen and now have a blank canvas to work with. My actual kitchen design has been decided on but I have to choose the floor and cabinet material and colours. I have been playing around with it for the last couple of months and am finding it hard to strike the right balance.

The flooring will be the same throughout the house so I don't want it to be too cold as the walls are already an off-white and I don't want the units to be too dark as it isn't a huge space and I love natural light.

Here are some of the combinations i have been working with:

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions as I am going a bit crazy trying to make a decision and finding what works best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 11:45 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,578,207 times
I like number 3

Old 10-18-2015, 12:25 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,785,279 times
I like the first and third ones.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:04 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,589,303 times
I like the first and third ones too, but I would definitely move that sink to the island and put the stove where you've got that sink. It might cost a little more to run the plumbing over there but it would be worth it.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:02 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,785,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I like the first and third ones too, but I would definitely move that sink to the island and put the stove where you've got that sink. It might cost a little more to run the plumbing over there but it would be worth it.
Agreed! I think you would like it better having the stove against the wall and the sink in the island.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:28 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,852,102 times
Just exactly where is this house- city, state, country? The electrical looks to be European. The plumbing cannot be moved unless you just like spending money.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:10 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,589,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Just exactly where is this house- city, state, country? The electrical looks to be European. The plumbing cannot be moved unless you just like spending money.
Plumbing can be moved. Depending on the type of flooring, it can be expensive or not so expensive.

It's up to the individual as to whether or not the cost (which can vary widely) is justified. To me, it would be justified unless it was absolutely ridiculously expensive - like thousands of dollars.

When we renovated our kitchen, we had to drill through the concrete slab to add electricity to an island. The cost was about $600. No biggy. It was worth it. We also opted to add a gas line for a gas stove, and that cost was about $700. Worth it to us. Maybe not to other people, but we're happy.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:12 AM

22,421 posts, read 47,411,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree. I would not like to have anyone around those burners while dining.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,852,102 times
Quote:
unless you just like spending money.
I guess you missed this part Kathy and if this house is in Europe, the plumbing might not be able to be moved. They use a lot of steel construction, like our commercial buildings, and there is NO cutting or drilling of the steel allowed which limits designs. Likewise, this house may be sitting on precast concrete beams and again, there is NO cutting or drilling allowed. They build completely different than we do and their codes are not even close to ours. I spent 3 months in Europe and you can't believe the never ending crapola it takes to build a new home. From what I heard, remodeling is even worse with inspectors who think they are the gestapo.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:38 PM

102 posts, read 101,507 times
Thanks for your comments guys! I thought really hard about the sink/hob dilemma when i put all the installation in and decided to put the hob on the island because what I hate the most is having my back to everyone while cooking and looking at a wall or having to be constantly turning round to check on the hob while preparing other stuff... anyway I may live to regret it lol, but seeing as I hate washing up and didn't want to fill up the island with dirty dishes.

I have been thinking more about the kitchen colour design and am thinking how to mix things up and make the kitchen more interesting giving it more personality. So i saw this pic and got inspired:

So i started playing around with mine and cant seem to find the best way to mix and match and not making it too dark, I really love the colours and design of that pic.

Any ideas on how to distribute each colour?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating