Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2015, 09:56 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
I agree with Kab. That's the kind of room in which I'd expect to see clear plastic covers on the furniture.
Reminded me of Ray's parents home on "Everybody Loves Raymond." LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 01:18 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Just a few thoughts:

I actually like glass tile, but probably wouldn't use it, unless I planned to stay in that house for a long time, because I think it will become dated sooner than later.

I don't care one way or the other about stainless appliances, but I think they are here to stay. They are neutral enough to match most décor.

I don't think granite will ever completely go away. But, today, it seems to be just another option for countertop material, instead of the go-to material for every new kitchen/bathroom.

I like open concept plans in new houses, if they are done well. I think they are more useful in making smaller houses feel larger, but often make large houses feel cavernous. I almost always HATE when an old house is "opened up." Not only am I somewhat of a purist preservationist, but I hate when a trend feels forced on TV. If playing a drinking game while watching HGTV, and some of the key phrases were "take out this wall," or "make this more open," one might die of alcohol poisoning.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:42 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I agree that the barn door trend will probably date a house, but they are a good solution sometimes. My DIL, who is an architect, intends to use one on her closet makeover, because there is no room for a door swing. The alternative, traditional sliding doors seem even more dated.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree that the barn door trend will probably date a house, but they are a good solution sometimes. My DIL, who is an architect, intends to use one on her closet makeover, because there is no room for a door swing. The alternative, traditional sliding doors seem even more dated.
If you mean pocket doors, I don't think they are dated if they are solving a problem. IMO, if they function well, they aren't dated. I wouldn't use one just to be using one though.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:01 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If you mean pocket doors, I don't think they are dated if they are solving a problem. IMO, if they function well, they aren't dated. I wouldn't use one just to be using one though.
Barn doors are not pocket doors.

Modern Barn Door Hardware for Wood door - Contemporary - Barn Door Hardware - hong kong - by Ningbo Tengyu Metal Products Co.Ltd

Old 11-05-2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
No, there would be no room inside the wall for a pocket door either. I am envisioning those 1950s sliding doors on a track, which would be way uglier than a sliding "barn" door.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Just a few thoughts:

I like open concept plans in new houses, if they are done well. I think they are more useful in making smaller houses feel larger, but often make large houses feel cavernous. I almost always HATE when an old house is "opened up." Not only am I somewhat of a purist preservationist, but I hate when a trend feels forced on TV. If playing a drinking game while watching HGTV, and some of the key phrases were "take out this wall," or "make this more open," one might die of alcohol poisoning.
I agree that a house has a style that was intended. Many times on TV, they give a house a "charmectomy" and it just doesn't work. Sometimes, a house benefits from taking down a wall or two, but sometimes it just feels wrong. Adding crown moulding to a modern house is just as wrong as doing open concept in a cottage.

I am waiting for the next HGTV thing to be couples touring houses and wanting to add walls and close off rooms.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:25 AM

914 posts, read 1,137,910 times
Hardwood was once a no no, and everyone and their uncle put carpet over it. Now carpet is so scoffed at, especially on HGTV, that people run to the hills when they see it in a home. I wondering if/when the hardwood trend will be over, as hardwood is not the easiest thing to care for, and it does need refinishing.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:32 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
Hardwood was once a no no, and everyone and their uncle put carpet over it. Now carpet is so scoffed at, especially on HGTV, that people run to the hills when they see it in a home. I wondering if/when the hardwood trend will be over, as hardwood is not the easiest thing to care for, and it does need refinishing.
My 1932 hardwood floors are rather easy to keep clean, just a swiffer and it's done, even with cats and dogs. Once a month I go over it with Liquid Gold to keep it looking new. I would NOT have carpet with animals as it stains easy and traps fur and dander. Even back in the '90s I ripped carpeting out of a '50s house I lived in and refinished the hardwood for ease of cleaning (the carpet had been horribly stained by a cat that had been in the house before I moved in). Stem cleaning a carpet takes more effort and doesn't always get rid of pet and child stains.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:35 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
Just as carpets need replacing...

The original hardwoods in my 1950s apartment are still here and look great after being refinished.

I don't like carpet. My husband has allergies and asthma---and I don't feel like vacuuming everyday. I do like area rugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating