Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 04:21 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
There have already been threads in this forum where people have declared they don't like the sounds and smells of the kitchen intruding on their living/entertaining space, and prefer that the kitchen is at least somewhat separated from the living/entertaining space.
And there are others where people have declared they tend to do most of their entertaining IN the kitchen, or don't want to be in the kitchen cooking and be separated from the entertaining going on. When I have parties at the house, if we're not on the deck, we're all gathered in the kitchen around the island having good conversation and food/wine. I'd like to open mine up a bit more so that there is more room to entertain in that area and have the dining room and even living area utilized as part of that entertainment space.

If we do try to entertain in the living room and I'm cooking, then I can't be part of the conversation or even hear it.

As far as it being a "trend," for a while I lived in a small rancher built in 1954 that featured an open concept living arrangement even when it was new. The front door opened into the living room, which was long with the dining room on one end, and the kitchen off the dining area (so the room layout was an L shape). When in the kitchen, you could be part of the conversation in the dining room and the living room. This was a house built in '54, so it's not a new thing or a trend that is just fleeting and will go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 04:36 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
And there are others where people have declared they tend to do most of their entertaining IN the kitchen, or don't want to be in the kitchen cooking and be separated from the entertaining going on. When I have parties at the house, if we're not on the deck, we're all gathered in the kitchen around the island having good conversation and food/wine. I'd like to open mine up a bit more so that there is more room to entertain in that area and have the dining room and even living area utilized as part of that entertainment space.

If we do try to entertain in the living room and I'm cooking, then I can't be part of the conversation or even hear it.

As far as it being a "trend," for a while I lived in a small rancher built in 1954 that featured an open concept living arrangement even when it was new. The front door opened into the living room, which was long with the dining room on one end, and the kitchen off the dining area (so the room layout was an L shape). When in the kitchen, you could be part of the conversation in the dining room and the living room. This was a house built in '54, so it's not a new thing or a trend that is just fleeting and will go away.
You're ignoring the first part of my post:
Quote:
I guess it depends on what is considered "open concept." When people refer to open concept as a trend that will go away, I think they're meaning houses having a giant room with a kitchen in one corner.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:41 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
You're ignoring the first part of my post:
That's what my 1954 house HAD. So no, I didn't ignore that part of the post.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:12 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Of course, plans with less defined spaces will be--and have been--more practical in smaller homes to allow for overlap of uses.

This French Canadian listing is an example of what I'm talking about:
Maison à vendre Nominingue, 144 chemin des Carouges, immobilier Québec | DuProprio | 401129

Sure, there will always be some people who like the big room with a kitchen in a corner layout, just like there will always be people who like the Mediterranean style bathroom, or glass tile back-splashes.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:44 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
My husband's grandparents built their house in the late 60's and they still have that color scheme in their kitchen. Ugh.
Sound great to me...I wish they would bring back avocado appliances!

Old 05-07-2016, 06:09 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
Well their place will go up for sale within the year. How do you feel about Dallas?

Old 05-07-2016, 12:47 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I prefer coppertone, myself.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:59 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I prefer coppertone, myself.
With a set of McCoy pieces. Mom had several pieces that she got at a regional grocery store
which had marketing campaigns (similar to S & H Green stamps) during the 60's.
https://www.etsy.com/market/mccoy_brown_drip

I have to admit that turquoise would be nice too.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6e010eca27.jpg

...and it's back
http://blog.arizonawholesalesupply.c...0727082834.jpg

Old 05-08-2016, 10:48 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
With a set of McCoy pieces. Mom had several pieces that she got at a regional grocery store
which had marketing campaigns (similar to S & H Green stamps) during the 60's.
https://www.etsy.com/market/mccoy_brown_drip

I have to admit that turquoise would be nice too.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6e010eca27.jpg

...and it's back
http://blog.arizonawholesalesupply.c...0727082834.jpg
I love that Frigidaire turquoise kitchen. A turquoise Flair range ... OMG, I'd be in heaven.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:48 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times
Wallpaper looks dated to me the minute it goes up.

I've been in some multi-million dollar homes and never saw wallpaper, they have custom hand-painted walls and ceilings instead that looks like Italian stucco, the good kind not the low-end stuff, finished with glaze and/or wax. Very beautiful.

I do not like "open concept" because an open walled kitchen is not my preference. It made finding our current home difficult due to this trend but I held my ground and never regretted finally getting the right floor plan for us.

I dislike stainless steel appliances but it's impossible to buy anything else especially when replacing an appliance. Luckily some are now making them in gray that don't show fingerprints.

One trend that I do like is the higher height on bathroom cabinets. The first time I saw them years ago was in the new home of very short people and it seemed funny then but we are taller and it gives more storage space and saves back strain leaning over.

Heres a concept I saw in the home of Asian friends--they have a decorator kitchen done to the max where very little cooking is ever done but has top of the line appliances and behind a door is the actual "real" kitchen in a much smaller space, not a butlers pantry, a complete kitchen where the actual cooking is done. Blew my mind at the time but I think this is a cultural difference that may be an idea that will catch on in millionaires homes in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating