Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 06:45 AM

914 posts, read 1,137,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I don't think so. Though it can be irritating to have everyone on top of everyone else all the time, it makes a home look spacious and grand. Always a plus.
On the other hand, lots of people don't want their kitchens exposed to the whole house because of the mess that can accumulate there, and the kitchen smells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 06:46 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times
A trend I'd like to see go..... those super dark hardwood floors, the ones that look almost black. I can't imagine how hard it is to keep those looking good and clean.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:09 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
A trend I'd like to see go..... those super dark hardwood floors, the ones that look almost black. I can't imagine how hard it is to keep those looking good and clean.
My floor is a few shades lighter than that, but still fairly dark. I vacuum once a week or so, and use a swiffer. Not that hard to keep clean at all.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
I think inspirational forms of mid century modern will be in style. Will a Charles Eames chair always be in style? Maybe not, but a streamlined sofa or a something that doesn't scream mid century modern, but is influenced by the era, will always be in style IMO. As for me, I hope this particular chair does go out of style, so I can afford to get one!

Bauhaus design is also very trendy and I love the look. It was more in style about 15 years ago though.

Tuscan kitchens though, you can have them.
LOL I don't want a Tuscan kitchen - never did, for that matter, though I admit that at one time I had fake ivy on top of some of my kitchen cabinets!

My point was that mid century modern has already gone out of style at least once and come back into style - it's a trend like any other trend and will come and go like most other trends come and go.

There are very, very few true classics that never go out of "trend" though in my opinion classics such as beautiful hardwood cabinetry and tables and that sort of thing transcend "trends" in spite of the occasional and apparently irresistible urge of some people to slap paint on anything they find at a resale shop or inherit regardless of the quality of the piece.

For instance, my mom has a beautiful vaguely French style solid cherry (in a lighter finish though, not the dark cherry finish) dining table and six chairs from Ethan Allen, bought about 25 years ago. It's beautifully proportioned and graceful.

Now - it's also not chalk painted in spite of being "vintage." But it's not the table and chairs that are trendy - it's the chalk paint.

About 25 years ago, I lived in Germany. At the time, it was very popular to strip the original paint from pine cabinets and trunks and sell the pieces "naked" - no stain, just tung oil. Yes. People would strip off this beautiful folk paint, often dating from the 1600s and 1700s, grease the pine cabinet down, and sell it - or even repaint it in a solid color. It became hard to find an actual original painted pieces, and if you did, you could probably luck up and buy it for less money than the "repurposed" ones. We lucked up and found a cabinet with original paint from the 1700s - in great shape. The antique dealer told us at the time, "It's so cheap because it hasn't been stripped - it's still got that old paint on it." Errrr, OK!

These pieces were built with the intention of being painted - the wood was never supposed to be the focal point.

Likewise, when we visited Germany a couple of years ago and revisited a friend who is an antique dealer, he was lamenting the fact that people were searching for and finding these beautiful Biedermeier pieces that had gorgeous wood on them, and were into painting everything a flat black. They'd have an apartment full of antiques - all painted black.

In this case, these high quality pieces were built to showcase the wood. The pieces weren't trendy - till someone slapped black paint all over them. AUGH!

But even these classic pieces of gorgeous workmanship (prior to coming in contact with someone with a paintbrush and a can of flat paint) have gone in and out of "trendy style." In fact, when I lived in Germany, Biedermeier furniture was not very popular - now it's gaining in popularity again.

And now people are frantic trying to find these cabinets and trunks with the original paint on them. The same paint everyone was stripping off 20 years ago.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:25 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,301,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
One thing that is trending right now that I hope becomes a flash in the pan is hardwood floors that emphasive high contrast in the grain. Heaven help us if too many 'trend setters' install this stuff.

https://ericmckenna2.files.wordpress...pg?w=588&h=441

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...fe8bb1ea7d.jpg

OMG, this stuff is horrid!!!! No matter what application it's used in, it will SCREAM and always be the focal point. Just no, no, no!!!!

Old 10-27-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Cathedral ceilings in the front room. You know the ones, with the tall windows with the half moon on top. Even relatively small detached homes seem to have these. They just scream "dated" to me now.

Decor accessories that need to go: Apothecary jars filled with random stuff, and "found objects" of the type sold by Pottery Barn... demijohn jars, wood dough bowls, spools of brown rope, etc... things that are very large, homespun, and slightly industrial, yet serve no useful purpose whatsoever, and they're sold at chain stores everywhere, so no, they don't reflect an eclectic personality when you have them in your home.
You're talking about Palladian windows, and I agree. They were EVERYWHERE in 80s-90s new construction and they scream dated to me as well.

But, they do look authentic and appropriate in some applications and architectural styles (think Mount Vernon and Monticello). A lot of Southern architecture has arched transoms over front doors or windows....not a half circle like the Palladian window, but just arched slightly. These are nice when done right.

But just a random Palladian window on your typical suburban home? Dated!!!!!

Old 10-27-2015, 11:58 AM

If you stick with classics and just bring in "trendy" with accessories and accent colors, your home will stand the test of time and you won't go broke. If you hop on every trendy bandwagon, your home will look fabulous for a hot second and then look immediately dated.

SS appliances have ALWAYS been around, although they were mainly used in commercial kitchens. I think the residential market caught on and homeowners have been loving them now for well over a decade. The pink & green appliances of the 50s and the Orange of the 60s and harvest gold & avocado green of the 70s were EVERYWHERE during their hey day, but didn't last the way SS has.

Subway tile is something that, as long as it's in a neutral color and isn't mixed with some sort of 'accent' tile, will always be fashionable. It might not be the "hot thing" of the moment, but it won't scream a certain decade because it's transcended decades.

Same with marble and other natural stone counters. Certain colors or patterns may come & go but natural stone is always "in style". Whenever I see the huge push for Quartz counters, I think of the 1990's/early 2000's and Corian....hello!!!! It's synthetic stone. The real thing is always better and more timeless.

Basically, anything you see over & over & over on HGTV flip-it or makeover shows are the trends that will quickly date a space. Barn doors, Espresso (almost black) cabinets and/or wood floors, glass mosaic tile, gray on gray on gray everything, etc. are all items that will date a house as being built or remodeled in the 2010's. HOWEVER, if you love any of those things and have loved them before they were "trendy", then by all means have them in your home!!! Do what makes you happy!

The wife, Christina, on Flip or Flop does every single kitchen in "espresso cabinets and light quartz counters". OR white shaker style cabinets with espresso floors. Every single one! Drives me crazy. And there is a large homebuilder in my area who has put the exact same "espresso" cabinets and tumbled travertine backsplash in every single spec home he's built in the last 3 years. He must have gotten the deal of the century on those cabinets because he uses them EVERYWHERE!!!!! I'm so sick of them!!! (but that's just me)

Old 10-27-2015, 02:43 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
Does everyone want to see their kitchen from every room on the first floor?
No, everyone does not.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:50 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My sister's 1960 house still has the original stainless steel cooktop and wall ovens. The original refrigerator most likely was not stainless.
I replaced two c 1960 stainless steel appliances in 1996..........stove top and wall oven. They were both still working but we were doing a full kitchen remodel.

Neighbors still have their old stainless appliances.

These homes did not come with refrigerators. You bought your own. Our's was a white Coldspot purchased in 1954. That refrigerator is still working btw.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
My floor is a few shades lighter than that, but still fairly dark. I vacuum once a week or so, and use a swiffer. Not that hard to keep clean at all.
Yes. I have dark oak and it cleans up fine. We vacuum and use Bona from time to time. I frankly love my dark oak floors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating