Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:40 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times

Advertisements

My two previous houses were prewar colonials with separate formal living, formal dining, kitchen rooms, and family room located away from the kitchen and built 4+ decades after they both were originally built.

My latest home was built in 1978. It has an open floor plan, just one room downstairs.

While I have kept some of the "brown furniture" that were family pieces, my new style is much, much less formal and more comfortable, usable, and used than my 18th century style previously. We use every piece of furniture now.

I like an eclectic mix of furniture, so it is working so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 05:41 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I started by wanting to emulate my parents with antiques and cherry Queen Anne furniture. Little by little, my own style has evolved. It is basically that everything I feel strongly about goes together. A home should reflect the personality of the people who live there. If I have bad taste or if I have good taste, so be it.
I noticed that if I chose things, or colors, that I have a visceral connection with, they seem to go together. Once I figured that out, I've gone with my gut ever since.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I started by wanting to emulate my parents with antiques and cherry Queen Anne furniture. Little by little, my own style has evolved. It is basically that everything I feel strongly about goes together. A home should reflect the personality of the people who live there. If I have bad taste or if I have good taste, so be it.
I noticed that if I chose things, or colors, that I have a visceral connection with, they seem to go together. Once I figured that out, I've gone with my gut ever since.
Exactly!

Old 11-03-2015, 10:50 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
My style has always been eclectic, so I've never had a home or even a room that was all done in one specific style. My tastes have varied a bit over time and I've changed things up a bit, but always in the context of picking what I love rather than feeling like I had to match some theme or something. I want things that work well together and live in harmony but they don't have to match. In fact, I generally prefer when they don't match too much - so yeah, maybe a couple of matching armchairs but they won't match the sofa, even though they will go nicely with it.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:51 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,416 times
I'm into shabby chic but its pink blue yellow pastels with vintage distressed lace and floral. BUT....when it comes to artwork I do mix contemporary abstracts with velvet backed victorian portraits!!!! Hay, it's an 1886 farmhouse and...lol...I do what makes me happy!!!!!

Old 11-05-2015, 05:16 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Over the years I have gotten very tired of oak - floors, cabinets, furniture. At one point I had a few Craftsman-style pieces but I've gotten rid of them all over time.

Now I lean a bit more toward mid-century modern with a few clean-line teak or cherry pieces. Not too many because my early 50s house isn't a MCM showplace and anything more than a few pieces would tip it too far. I have a medium-grey sofa and matching chair that are modern-ish lines (and don't show the dog hair of my black lab/boxer/pitbull mix).

Old 11-06-2015, 01:47 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Like most people I think, I started out with almost no style, inheriting furniture from family, and buying everything else to furnish my 1-bedroom apartment from Kmart.

My first house was a 1915 Craftsman Bungalow. So, I gravitated toward mission style furniture.

My current house was built in 1902, and I've heard it referred to as a Queen-Anne Foursquare. It's much more formal than the last house, and has a few residual Victorian features. But, I'm keeping the craftsman stuff, and adding lamps with mica shades, oriental rugs, etc.

Eventually, I guess I'd like my house to look somewhat like Sheldon's apartment on The Big Bang Theory, but with more vintage-looking stuff, and less techy stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating