Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 09:38 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,691,078 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done this? Did it last? was is durable? Was it DIY or done by a professional? I'm seriously considering this. I don't think I could afford installing a new tub. Mine are a light, off-rose color. I'd like to make it white, to match the sink and toilet. I'd have to reglaze the tile as well.
Any ideas or thoughts? thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 10:12 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
I have used the "reglazing firms" at rental houses I owned. The have a very durable kind of material that is applied in a controlled way. The technical term is a "catalyzed cross linked polymer". Some are urethane based while others use more exotic mixtures.

It is very durable, with multi-year guarantees common.

The experienced installers can do all their prep (which typically involves removing hardware / masking off areas that are not going to be coated), applying a prep / bonding agent, and removing all old caulk in about half a day. If you have three pieces (Tub, sink and normal sized toilet) the second half of the day is spent building up the material with a specialized spray device. For oversize tubs or showers they might need a day and half.

Once it cures it is ready to use. The good firms will re-install hardware after a quick cleaning / polish, apply new caulk and hand detail any grout for minimal overspray.

Much more cost effective than replacement and very fast. Hardly ever more than two or three days even for a home with multiple bathrooms.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:17 AM

thanks! Was it still a quality job even though they were rental prooerties? What about the tile up around the tub? It's a built in tub with 3 walls of tile I would also like to have reglazed white to match. the toilet and sink are already white.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:24 AM

The tile can similarly be re-glazed. Most firms recommend going over the grout with same color. Works well but very low contrast. Much more labor to do grout in contrasting color.

It is very durable. After three tenants / five years was still going strong and tenants often do not follow recommendations that landlord give about what to use / not use as cleaner.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:30 AM

so if you use the correct cleaners, etc it can last a long time? what about slipping? is it a smooth, slippery surface? or not much difference in surface texture?

Old 01-12-2015, 10:38 AM

Default Installer skill is a factor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
so if you use the correct cleaners, etc it can last a long time? what about slipping? is it a smooth, slippery surface? or not much difference in surface texture?
The installers that know how to regulate the material build up will not have anything too glassy. It is not "textured" just not slippery.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
What we did with an old tub and improperly installed tile was have fiberglass laid over the tub and surround. We chose nice simulated tile with a little marbling and a white tub overlay. It made that old bathroom look really sharp, especially since I keyed the new cultured marble vanity top to the "tile" surround.

When we moved into our present house I was surprised to find tile on the bathroom floors and on the vanity tops, and fiberglass surrounds around the tub and the walk in shower. They aren't as nice as what we put in the old bathroom, either.

Our experience with the fiberglass overlays was very good.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:34 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
We just did it ourselves a few months ago on a prior job (that was flaking off to the touch). Hiring in was more costly than buying a brand new tub, so we simply bought a new tub for the 2nd bedroom (master suite) and opted DIY for the infrequently used guest bath. The job wasn't complicated, but involves a TON of prep that probably took us a day or so spread out over a week. Sanding, scraping, pulling out caulk, cutting away grout, etc... but the process itself was simple, mix together the 2-part epoxy and roll on.

There are a LOT of downsides though. It's very fragile stuff from all accounts we could find online (both pro and DIY), you aren't supposed to put down bath mats because even that can remove the finish so forget about bathing a dog in there. And once you get a crack/scratch you have to try and repair it immediately else water will get underneath and ruin the whole job.

Obviously, there's a lot more than the cost of a tub to consider if you're not already doing a whole bath renovation, but for anyone who's planning on replacing the shower tile and flooring I'll forever recommend a replacement tub. Our brand new, direct from Kohler, shipping included cast iron tub was only just over $300.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:13 AM

The professionals do not use a "mix and roll it" system. They use special cross-linked polymers. This is the same family of coatings that were developed to line tank cars for transporting corrosive chemical. The same system is also used to recoat swimming pools and municipal water tanks. The material is just about bullet proof http://proguard-coatings.de/fileadmi...r_Brochure.pdf

The skill of the installer is critcal, they have to build it up in layers and make sure the edges / areas around the drain have a nice even slope for durability. No DIY can get the same materials of the same results.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:47 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,771 times
We had two different bathrooms professionally done in our old home. We waited a year before doing the second to see how the first held up and are so happy with how it looks. Both tubs were gorgeous with the exception of the pink and blue; and I couldn't justify tossing it. There is a 5 year guarantee with the application from the company we used. Its durable to an extent; one of my children dropped a hard bath toy and caused a slight crack in the paint. The company came back out and repaired it, no charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating