Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 01:08 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,847 times

Advertisements

wondering if anyone has ever shopped for and ordered something like a couch, sofa, loveseat, recliner, etc online?

how the heck can you tell quality, durability, or even comfort when you are shopping on somewhere like wayfair, overstock, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 01:23 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
You walk your tush off from furniture retailer to retailer and plop yourself down on chair after chair and sofa after sofa til you find one you like. Then you go online to see if you can find that particular one.

I went to a local furniture store years ago found a sofa I fell in love with. I jotted down the name of the manufacturer and style number and called North Carolina furniture dealers. I managed to save a ton of money but I knew what I wanted. But this was years ago before the internet and so today all you have to do is see who manufactures the piece and snap a picture of it and start the hunt. You have to know what you want first. JMO, of course.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:33 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
Wayfair..... saw some barstools.thought they were nice.
Ordered 2. Assembly was a b####. The chairs weren't very robust, not as sturdy as the picture. The size of the seats were not what we thought.
I'm not a fan of buying furniture online...but it was my husband's project and of course he thought he knew better than me....
Whatevah ......
I'd be leary.and I wouldn't do it.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:06 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
I ordered a couch online.

I shopped until I ran out of furniture stores to visit. It was a matter of sofa size versus a spiral staircase.

So I found this couch online. It came in parts. The reviews were decent. So I ordered it. Arrived in 4 boxes to the office. I unpacked the boxes in the office and loaded the couch parts in my car.

Came home, brought all the parts up that spiral staircase and put the couch together.

7 years later........couch is fine.........and wearing it's second set of slipcovers.

To look at it.....you'd never guess it was a put-it-together yourself couch. Looks like a normal store-bought couch with rolled arms, etc.

The only other piece I ordered online was a bookcase......but I already owned the matching media chest, so I knew what to expect.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:43 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Yes.
Our credenza is similar to the one on this page Modern Furniture - DoubleButter - SANDWICHES

Old 11-07-2015, 07:54 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
I wouldn't order a sofa unless I tested it out first. I did buy bar stools online and was happy with them.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:29 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
We bought a sofa from a Crate and Barrel catalog years ago....still have it. Excellent quality, comfortable, and good looking.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:57 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
We went to furniture stores and found what we wanted, then ordered it online. At least, that was the plan. Instead, I literally had the sofa and loveseat in the online shopping cart when hubby decides another set online looked better. Same manufacturer, similar style so I figured what the heck. Oh, how we hate this set. Looks gorgeous, but it is soooo uncomfortable. Lesson learned.

I have ordered individual pieces from Wayfair and they have been fine. I have ordered LaZBoy online and never had an issue.

If you do order online, know exactly what you're looking for. For example, attached seat back cushions? Rolled arms? Favorite fabrics? Definitely don't go by appearance alone.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:38 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I bought my sofa and love seat from local retailers (not a set and bought at two different stores) but both were custom orders. With the loveseat, the store happened to have that style in the sofa on display so I knew it would be comfortable. With the sofa, they did not have that particular style on the showroom floor, but I tried out all the other sofas from that mfg, and by comparing the seat size and pitch, I felt ok going with it. I was also able to customize the firmness of the cushions, which was nice. It turned out to be very comfortable but it was at least a little bit of a risk to know for sure exactly how it would feel. But I wanted a very particular style and I wanted the ability to customize the fabric and there's no other way to do it.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:42 AM

89 posts, read 113,054 times
just bought 2 sofas, a dining table, dining chairs, and curtains online. curtains showed up and seemed very nice im still waiting on the furniture but i will probably like them as i did a lot of research prior to buying. I have no proplem assembling anything but not everyone is okay with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating