Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 01:57 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times

Advertisements

My kitchen has an extremely dated kitchen with old cabinets. These cabinets are missing drawers (boxes and fronts). I was going to replace boxes and fronts, but apparently that is pricey. I'm painting the cabinets white and looking for cheaper alternatives to hide the missing drawers.

Anyone have any ideas/pictures/suggestions? I am painting remaining cabinetry white. I was thinking perhaps using fabric?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 08:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I've seen cabinet doors left off and baskets that slide into the space. Not sure if that might work for you.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:07 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,288 times
I've been thinking about making a cover for my hvac vent, so I've been looking at all the alternatives. One of the things that I've checked out is using the decorative aluminum sheeting that is sold at Lowes and lots of other places. Something similar might work for your drawer fronts. I haven't done it, so I'm not saying it would work .

You might could use decorative molding, hopefully something that looks good with your existing cabinets, and cut it into rectangular pieces to fit the front of the cabinets where the drawers are missing. You could attach some decorative metal sheeting to the back and paint it all white.

If you don't mind losing the drawer space, you could just permanently affix them to the front of the cabinets with liquid nails. If you did want to rig up something so that you could hang some kind of metal slide out skinny basket in the area where the drawers are missing, you could probably affix the covers with hinges so that they would swing open.

I haven't thought through the "swing" thing yet. Opening from the bottom to the top should be an easy installation but may not be as convenient as the cover swinging from top to bottom.

If I remember correctly, you're pretty handy with tools and such. Miter cuts and attaching should be a breeze for you. I wish I could install flooring and do all the things that you have conquered.

Edit to Add - Now that I can picture the swing thing in my mind, I think you would definitely want them to swing down. It seems that if they pulled up from the bottom, the cover would be covering most of the basket area...ding .

Last edited by PennyLane2; 11-28-2015 at 08:17 AM..

Old 11-28-2015, 08:34 AM

Thank you both for the suggestions. I really like the basket idea! It's all coming together in my mind. If I can get this to work, I think it will be really pretty AND save me money.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:31 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Define "pricey"(?)

Is the hardware, or part of the hardware still there? A simple butt joint drawer box is not expensive. And the simpler you keep the front, the cheaper.

Even baskets will need some type of mechanism to make them functional within the drawer hole. And I certainly don't see them outlasting a drawer box.

I'm also sure you would much prefer to put the space to use rather than just hide it with something "decorative"(?)

Old 11-28-2015, 04:52 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
How about something like this
alternatives for missing kitchen drawers?-basket-2.jpg

Old 11-29-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
How about something like this
Attachment 161777
Yes, I really like this. Any idea where to find something like this?

Old 11-29-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Define "pricey"(?)

Is the hardware, or part of the hardware still there? A simple butt joint drawer box is not expensive. And the simpler you keep the front, the cheaper.

Even baskets will need some type of mechanism to make them functional within the drawer hole. And I certainly don't see them outlasting a drawer box.

I'm also sure you would much prefer to put the space to use rather than just hide it with something "decorative"(?)
To do all of the missing boxes + drawer fronts + hardware for drawer boxes was going to cost hundreds. The only hardware I have is the sliders (I think that's what they're called) on the inside of the cabinet.

I don't use these drawers. I was just looking for something decorative.

I'm working on budget kitchen makeover for January. What I lack in funds I have to make up for in creativity, which I also lack so this is gonna be fun.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:53 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I don't use these drawers.

Not to exploit the obvious, but the reason you don't use them is because there are none. If you "actually had" drawers I'm betting you WOULD use them.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:59 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
Bande1102 - I just googled how to make basket drawers and found links to premade ones and DIY
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...rawers&ie=&oe=
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating