Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 05:09 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to be insulting, but I would throw away everything in the bedroom and start over. And especially get rid of the swag over the bed and anything else hanging on the wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 05:26 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I don't mean to be insulting, but I would throw away everything in the bedroom and start over. And especially get rid of the swag over the bed and anything else hanging on the wall.
Don't do that. It's a lovely room, just needs a few tweaks. Not everyone's aesthetic is the same.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:36 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You have gotten some good feedback. It looks like your carpet does not go well with your wall color. This might be the fault of the camera or my monitor though. At any rate, I'd think about redoing that. As far as red goes, I don't think so. You have red now in the color of the bed and in the wall color. How much warmth do you need in a Texas bedroom?

I do like the idea of an accent wall on the wall where the bed is. I can't tell exactly what your wall color is, but it seems like a clay color? Try a bluish green perhaps. Or blue? Here is an approximation of your wall color with accents:

Suntan Bronze 1217 Paint - Benjamin Moore Suntan Bronze Paint Color Details

I really like the selection of accent colors that use blue and yellow. The blue would be good behind the bed and the light yellow would be good for the ceiling. (These are meant to be approximations to help you visualize different colors you can use.)

You can add linens with blues and greens to the room as well. I agree with Pitt Chick; you need bigger, nicer bedside lamps. I am not fond of swags, but if you adore them, then keep them, and add a custom shade or wooden blinds. Or ditch the swags and blinds and put up simple neutral curtains. Make your choices based on what functionality you need for the room.

I'd like to see art on the walls, instead of the stuff you have. And you don't have to hang something on each wall. Group some pieces over the bed, and leave at least one wall blank. You can buy art to coordinate with your colors, or you can go wild with things you love.

I'd also like to see you add some greens and blues to the rest of your rather brown house. I do like the plant in the family room; can you add more of them? Or, can you add more greens and blues? IMO, rooms should have a mix of warm and cool colors. You have mostly warm. The base you have is quite nice; but blues and greens would add welcome cooling touches to what could be an overly warm color scheme.

You have a very pretty house. I think you have made a really nice start with the things you have brought into it.
Hi Silibran, and thanks for your reply. I'll comment on the things I bolded.

The carpet IRL does coordinate nicely with the walls. We thought about replacing the carpet with hardwood (everything else on the first floor is hardwood or tile), but all of our hardwood is dark brown (not my preference, but it's what the house has), so carrying that into the bedroom would make the room even darker than it is.

Regarding the lamps (which I realize are too contemporary and don't belong), I thought bedside lamps were typically fairly small. Is it a new trend to use large ones? I am not particularly attached to the swags and will happily get rid of them! We do already have wooden blinds in the window which we will keep.

Question about mixing the cools and warms----how do I incorporate blue without it looking like it just doesn't belong? For example, the rug in the great room (you can see it in one of the photos) is a cream background, with olive, brick red, gold, and a little black. The sofa, pillows, etc all coordinate with those colors. What's an example of an item that would work in blue?

Old 12-03-2015, 05:41 PM

Just wanted to add that we have moved a lot (I've lived in 6 states in 7 years), and every area we've lived in has had very different architectural styles. We've had traditional, contemporary, French Provencial, and now Tuscan. So it has been a challenge to redecorate a different style house every year or so. Now that it looks like we'll actually be staying here in San Antonio for at least a few years, I'm trying to put more time and money into making the house look right.

So don't be too hard on me for the rather eclectic, mismatched look in the bedroom. I just used things I had so the room wouldn't be completely bare!

Old 12-03-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I'm not insulted, though you were rather blunt. I did ask in my OP for suggestions regarding replacements for things I should get rid of. Telling me to throw everything away wasn't very enlightening.

Regardless, I certainly will not be throwing away the bedroom furniture, which is less than 2 years old and is quite nice.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:13 PM

914 posts, read 1,137,910 times
I didn't read all the comments, so sorry if this is repeated. The living room area you posted is much larger than your master bedroom it seems, and has lots of natural light coming in and is brighter, therefore, I think the brown you picked for the walls in the master are too dark. It doesn't work well in a room that's smaller with less light, but the brown works better in your living room area because it's so bright and has lots of natural light. If you want to keep brown, then definitely do a lighter brown in the master, like Benjamin Moore pale oak. That lighter brown/beige will also allow other pieces to pop. Right now the wall color is too prominent because it's so dark. Its swallowing up you furniture and decorative accents, like a black hole.

You definitely should get some decorative accents with more color to them, especially pillows. If you can't deviate from brown, get some texture in there, maybe a more textured bedspread.

Nice house!!

Old 12-03-2015, 06:20 PM

914 posts, read 1,137,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post

The carpet IRL does coordinate nicely with the walls. We thought about replacing the carpet with hardwood (everything else on the first floor is hardwood or tile), but all of our hardwood is dark brown (not my preference, but it's what the house has), so carrying that into the bedroom would make the room even darker than it is.

Regarding the lamps (which I realize are too contemporary and don't belong), I thought bedside lamps were typically fairly small. Is it a new trend to use large ones? I am not particularly attached to the swags and will happily get rid of them! We do already have wooden blinds in the window which we will keep.

Question about mixing the cools and warms----how do I incorporate blue without it looking like it just doesn't belong? For example, the rug in the great room (you can see it in one of the photos) is a cream background, with olive, brick red, gold, and a little black. The sofa, pillows, etc all coordinate with those colors. What's an example of an item that would work in blue?
Brown definitely goes with blue, so some blue pillows, or a blue bedspread, a blue throw, a picture with blue accents, blue lampshades, or lampshades with a white background an blue pattern. I wouldn't do some bright blue, or cobalt blue, but I would use an aqua blue, or a greyish blue. Greyish blues in particular would be a way to incorporate it in there, without it shouting BLUE!!!! Greyish blues work well with browns.

Here's a room with a lot of brown, and note the dark brown walls work better in here because there's a lot more natural light, and its just an accent wall, and the carpet is lighter. There's a few blue accents, and I think it could use a few more, but this works.

Last edited by twodoor2; 12-03-2015 at 06:28 PM..

Old 12-04-2015, 04:17 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I love your bed and bedding and your colors. I would ditch the curtain swags over the bed and replace them with a large piece of artwork. The existing mirrored starburst above the bed could go on the wall with the other mirror plus I'd buy a third one to make a focal grouping of three. That's where I'd start anyway.

Probably changing out your bedside lamps would make a style impact too, something not quite so contemporary looking. I'd go large for the artwork and the lamps to make it more of a lush, romantic look. Have fun decorating!
I second this.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post

First the lamps. I think we used the wrong words for new lamps; I think they do not show up well in your room. You don't want tall lamps there for sure, but fatter and slightly taller lamps might look better.

About blue. Blue is sort of magic. It goes with almost everything, even other blues. New blue and white porcelain lamps would look quite nice on your night stands, for instance. (Not Tuscan though--I realize that.) Here is an interesting site which I found for you: Best Paint Colors for Tuscan Style Decorating I suspect that the color Serene Sky, or a similar color, would be beautiful on your ceiling.

You should be able to find linens that incorporate blue. I found this example for you: Villa by Noble Excellence Serena Quilt Mini Set | Dillards I think it would be lovely on your bed and in your room. You could use the blue from the coverlet in accents in your room.

You can also find art that you love that incorporated blue tones. But I don't like to try and match up my art too much. I find that a great piece acts often looks lovely in the most unexpected places. (But I also admit that I have decorated two bedrooms around one stunning painting. This is an uncompleted project, but the colors were chosen to showcase the painting.)

Hope this helps. You really do have a nice home.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
Brown definitely goes with blue, so some blue pillows, or a blue bedspread, a blue throw, a picture with blue accents, blue lampshades, or lampshades with a white background an blue pattern. I wouldn't do some bright blue, or cobalt blue, but I would use an aqua blue, or a greyish blue. Greyish blues in particular would be a way to incorporate it in there, without it shouting BLUE!!!! Greyish blues work well with browns.

Here's a room with a lot of brown, and note the dark brown walls work better in here because there's a lot more natural light, and its just an accent wall, and the carpet is lighter. There's a few blue accents, and I think it could use a few more, but this works.
Oh, pretty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating