Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 10:20 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Pictures would really help...
^^^ THIS!!! Please...
Or you want us just to make wild guesses??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 10:55 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
In a previous house we had what they called a "worker's kitchen". The kitchen was roughly 9 x 6. Our bathroom was actually bigger. It was an old home built in the 20's. I could not open the fridge door all the way so one crisper in the fridge I could never use. The stove door could open all the way but I had to stand to the side of it. I had a corner sink with 2 feet of counter space on either side. No dishwasher so one side of the sink counter was filled with a dish rack. It was a challenge. My point, it was a super tiny kitchen.

Storage was a concern so I utilized wall space but even that was limited. The kitchen had two windows. IKEA is great for small spaces. They sell all kinds of gadgets that attractively hold cooking utensils. I found a small pot rack in a half moon shape that I put on the wall to hold all my pots and pans to free up cabinet space. I bought a magnetic knife bar that attached to the wall to hang all my knives. I purchased a wall system that hung under the cabinets for hanging cooking spoons, spatulas and spices. I only had two drawers and one was so small it wasn't big enough for silverware so I really needed to be organized to use that one good sized drawer. We had a decent size dining room. I bought an attractive jelly cabinet so I could house all my canned goods. The house wasn't in a great neighborhood so I lived with the layout. If it had been in a better area and worth the investment, I would have swapped out the kitchen and dining spaces. The dining room would have made a better kitchen and the tiny kitchen would have been perfect as a eating nook.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:20 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times
My kitchen is similar except the cabinets, dw, and sink are along the left wall, stove and fridge are on the back wall. The right hand side is where the pass-thru is and where I would put another lower cabinet. (This looks very similar to some other kitchens in this complex).

Yes, Gabby, I don't mind doing dishes by hand; in fact, I have done this mostly for years since there's just the two of us. That is why I'm not bothered about keeping the dishes in the dishwasher! But I agree a lower cabinet would be more useful than that dishwasher, except for resale. People like their dishwashers, I know.

Good idea about the Container Store, city living. I will have to check if there's one in this area (still learning what's here).

Old 12-04-2015, 09:22 AM

Sorry to everyone who asked for pictures. I just haven't figured out yet how to do that.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:59 AM

5,458 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Sorry to everyone who asked for pictures. I just haven't figured out yet how to do that.
Set up an account at photobucket.com

Once it is setup, click on “Upload†at the top of the page.

You can now either drag and drop the picture file you want to upload or you can click on “Browse Files†and find it on your computer the old fashioned way.

When you are done, click on “Library.â€

You will see your uploaded pictures. Click on the one you want to use on City Data.

To the right of the picture in the Links menu, click on “Direct.†This will copy the link to the picture to your computer.

When you are writing a post to City Data, notice that there is a yellow icon at the top that looks it might be a mountain.

Click on it and a box will pop up where you can paste the previously copied link to the picture.

Click “OK†and the picture will appear in your post.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:19 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,699 times
Oh..it is Photobucket for posting pics in here!

That's easy then cairngorm!

Go make you a photobucket account, upload pics....then click around and familiariaze yourself with it. I have a couple of other forums i have to use photobucket on.

It's not difficult!

I wanna see pics

Old 12-04-2015, 05:52 PM

Hey! I think I did it! Hope this works. This is not my kitchen but another in our building - and it's a mirror image of mine. What you are seeing it absolutely all of the kitchen, except I've got a dishwasher next to the sink where they have a lower cabinet (now I know for sure that's where my lower cabinet went!)

Thanks for the instructions. I think I will have to print them out before I forget how to do it again.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:09 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,104,386 times
Wow, that IS small!

For a quick, temporary fix, I would put something on the wall (along the left side of the photo) IF there is room. If you have room along that wall, you could put up narrow shelves or hang kettle lids, spice rack, etc.

If it were my kitchen, I would get rid of the dishwasher. Not many families (who would more likely need a dishwasher) will be buying a house with such a small kitchen, so the re-sale factor of a dishwasher isn't there (IMHO). I would take the dishwasher out, put the stove in its place, then put a case cabinet with a "lazy Susan" in the corner. It wouldn't cost much, because there aren't many cabinets to buy.

It looks like the left door under the sink can't be opened, because the stove is in the way . . .

Old 12-04-2015, 09:01 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
Good idea metamorphosis about the dishwasher, though I would die without one ;-) Would that fit the stove OP? What is your budget like? I would redo the countertops, deeper sink and new faucet, and backsplash. Even new cupboards if you can afford, it wouldn't cost much in that size. Is the bottom drawer on the stove for storage, do you use that?

Old 12-04-2015, 09:27 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
OP this looks like the size of the kitchen in my old condo. It was called a "galley kitchen" and was equally tiny. But when I lived there, I went out all the time and didn't use the kitchen very much. My advice to you since it sounds like you will actually use the kitchen:
1. Install Range Fan - naught to do with space, but if you are planning to cook a lot you may need one.

2. Under Cabinet Glass rack - Spend the extra $$ and get steel instead of plastic.
http://www.amazon.com/Large-Under-Ca...+stemware+rack

3. Cabinet door spice rack - Saves some space. I think you can also buy these for pot lids.
http://www.amazon.com/Rev---Shelf-56...net+spice+rack

4. Ceiling Pot Rack - I've never used these and they seem like they may be tricky to install. But you can buy a light fixture that also has pot rack hooks on it. The installation seems easier, and you probably don't have any extra ceiling space to spare. http://www.amazon.com/Hanging-Pot-Ra.../dp/B006QM4DOA

5. Use the top of the cabinets - If there is space between the top of the cabinets and the ceiling you can put your pots there. You may need to keep a folding footstool in the kitchen so you can reach them.

*Note I'm assuming you are not planning to spend money and re-do the kitchen. If you are you can get taller cabinets if there is vertical space, to give yourself more room. You can also get a narrower fridge and stove, unless you already have the smallest they make. Ironically the smaller the applicances are, the more they cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating