Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 04:11 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

Remember the movie "Broadcast News" where "Jennifer" (Lois Chiles) took one of her bedrooms and turned it into a closet because she had so many clothes?

I am beginning to think I need another dresser for all my belly dancing and other costuming stuff. Hip scarves, chain wear, zils, veils, fan scarves, head dresses, etc..

Now, in a way, it isn't that tough. Dressers are like desks; it isn't that hard to find them either cheap or free. Granted, one is probably better off doing a desk like that because odds are one wants to massively bug bomb it before use.

Still, things like this
http://images.craigslist.org/00808_8...qg_600x450.jpg
might make me leap to it......if the question wasn't one that could wait a while.

EQUALLY, since there are things that need to be hung up like harem pants and furs, I'm thinking that maybe a closet dedication would be better with bins on the shelves for the non hangables.

Thoughts? Other approaches? Better approaches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 05:06 AM

914 posts, read 1,137,610 times
Do you have room for an armoire?

Old 12-09-2015, 05:29 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
Do you have room for an armoire?
When I eventually move into my ranch house, a year or so away, maybe.

Right now, though, I'm trying not to be in the buying mood for much of anything heavy or bulky....which might be the solution in itself.

Ie, I have 3 desks with drawers, one I've used for years, my father's big desk, and my grand aunt's secretary desk. Perhaps the approach is to shift the big desk functions to my father's desk and my dresser accessories to the big drawers on her desk.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:17 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
There are multiple custom ways to store specialty clothes and accessories.

I would start by making an inventory of what you have and group the items on the list according to how they need to be stored. That will help you understand what kind of storage needs you really have and make it easier to know if you need a piece of furniture or a custom closet with organizers...or both.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:50 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
my sister was a belly dancer her costumes were beautiful. if you can lose a bedroom in your house to a closet go for it. the armoire in the pic really doesn't seem to have versatile organization that a shelf an hanging spot would. for sure organize your desks and get one that is strictly for your BD stuff. another for personal. a vertical plastic grid of storage boxes can be set on the desk top for upright storage of what you might want to fold.

if you have the luxury of a dressing room, make a spot you love. where you can see your coin belts and other goodies. your scarves would look great on the walls. a chair and small vanity, mirror.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I happened to find a smaller, traditional chest of drawers probably manufactured in the sixties at a thrift store. It had lots of small drawers and two wide fairly deep drawers. I am in the process of turning it into a jewelry and accessory "center." It doesn't take up too much room in my bedroom. I've yet to find a lamp I like, but I intend to hang a mirror that I have over it. The idea is, I can add jewelry or a scarf, or grab a pair of cloves right from this little dresser, arrange it in the mirror above it, and be gone.

I had to buy new jewelry boxes, which I chose because they were lined with no tarnish cloth, and because they are quite compact. I keep the largest one out on the dresser, and the other two boxes in a drawer beneath. I also added a necklace tree for my chains and necklaces.

I think I have finally found a lamp, so I may finally have this all put together early next year.

I don't see why you can't fit out a dresser with drawers for your needs the same way I have. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2015, 12:29 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,667 times
We have a five bedroom home, our children have since married so this left us with 4 extra bedrooms . One room became my private dressing & changing room below~ .
Attached Thumbnails
The Dressing Down-dscf7794.jpg   The Dressing Down-dscf7795.jpg   The Dressing Down-dscf7796.jpg   The Dressing Down-dscf7797.jpg   The Dressing Down-dscf7798.jpg  

Old 12-10-2015, 03:16 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,800 times
I live in an old Victorian with minuscule closets. I took the smallest bedroom and created my dressing room. One wall of closets, dresser and a vanity table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating