Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 06:25 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times

Advertisements

I would also advise to check the load bearing of the top of the cabinet. Often times they are simply a veneer MDF or masonite and not very sturdy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 05:44 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,197,375 times
I would leave the top alone too. You want to draw peoples eyes to the beauty inside the china cabinet not up towards the ceiling. Keep it organized and neat, you want it to look attractive, not overstuffed.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:16 AM

914 posts, read 1,137,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I agree with don't "junk it up" - does it "NEED" something on top?
I agree as well. Don't put anything on top.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:25 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I've got a large china cabinet in the dining room, which is pretty sparsely decorated as it is. I was thinking it'd be interesting to arrange something on the top of the china cabinet, but I have no idea what. Vases? What sort? Can anyone come up with some suggestions that are a little original?

The colour scheme right now is really neutral. Beige walls, white table, chairs, and china cabinet. I could continue with that colour scheme, or add a bit of a different colour... ideas please?
Quote:
It's about 2 and 1/2 feet between the top of the cabinet to the ceiling. The cabinet is around 4 and 1/2 feet wide. Maybe one foot deep on top. I haven't measured it exactly. It's not an oversize cabinet.

Large enough to pile a few things up there, maybe two rows deep depending upon what the objects are...
As far as whether or not to put something up there, I think it depends on the cabinet. My china cabinet in the formal dining room has a decorative wooden scroll type thing centered on the top. I like that woodwork to stand out, so I don't have anything on top of it at all. If it were a flat top, like my entertainment center which is decorated on top, I'd put something up there. You obviously think yours needs something to add some interest, so I'd do it.

I'd definitely push some objects back and pull some forward to add some depth...stagger, stagger, stagger. Nothing looks worse to me than everything all lined up like little soldiers ready to march forward. I also wouldn't add a whole lot of stuff, maybe 2 or 3 fat vases in varying heights (use books to stagger the height if you need to) filled with greenery or hydrangeas on the right (love hydrangeas) and a couple of different sized frames tucked behind to lend some balance, or a serving tray on some sort on an easel like Blondy suggested, anything kind of flat that would add some height to the left side.

You're going to have to play around with whatever you put up there before you find the perfect layout, so be prepared to go up and down the ladder hundreds of times . Have fun!

Old 12-13-2015, 09:54 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
It is my feeling that anything that takes up that much room should serve a purpose. If you don't need it to store china, then do you need it at all? Would something like a sideboard be more useful?

If its purpose is just to look beautiful and add to the design of the room, that is fine too. Wait until you find just the right thing to put there. Don't just put "stuff" in it.

Could you post a picture?

Old 12-13-2015, 02:11 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
I would leave the top alone too. You want to draw peoples eyes to the beauty inside the china cabinet not up towards the ceiling. Keep it organized and neat, you want it to look attractive, not overstuffed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
I agree as well. Don't put anything on top.

I vote for nothing on top, too! Also, as a sidenote, nothing on top of kitchen cabinets either. It is a much cleaner, uncluttered look, I think. Plus, anything you put up there gets dusty and I like to keep my dusting to a minimum.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:40 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I would also advise to check the load bearing of the top of the cabinet. Often times they are simply a veneer MDF or masonite and not very sturdy.
It's a solid pine cabinet, and although it's not super heavy or thick, the top of the cabinet is around 3/4 of an inch thick... I wouldn't put anything heavy, like a marble sculpture, up there--but it's at least sturdier than a sheet of veneer.

I'm leaning more towards leaving it empty up there too, and maybe putting a substantial piece of wall art on the long wall opposite it to give the space some "interest". The room just needs some personality, and mine has gone MIA, so I'm having a creativity crisis.

The contents of the china cabinet are a bit pedestrian... I have a full set of plain pattern Denby stoneware, with the serve ware, platter, etc. that match, plus some vintage silver serving spoons and knives in a crock. The cabinet isn't stuffed full, but I wish the room had "something" else in it. Even the ceiling light fixture over the dining room table is very plain--a standard, not-too-exciting brass chandelier fixture.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:54 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,197,375 times
Have you thought of painting the inside of the cabinet ? You could add color to the room and make it more attractive. I don't know the colors you are using in your home, but for instance a gray blue, or soft yellow, you could even wallpaper the inside of the back. It doesn't cost much but would change the look of the cabinet. If you did the gray blue then I would add napkins with holders sitting inside of the cabinet that were red with gold ornate napkin rings. It would give a pop of color.
http://www.town-n-country-living.com.../DSC_00163.jpg
this gives an example of what i mean.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:24 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
Quote:
It's a solid pine cabinet, and although it's not super heavy or thick, the top of the cabinet is around 3/4 of an inch thick... I wouldn't put anything heavy, like a marble sculpture, up there--but it's at least sturdier than a sheet of veneer.

I'm leaning more towards leaving it empty up there too, and maybe putting a substantial piece of wall art on the long wall opposite it to give the space some "interest". The room just needs some personality, and mine has gone MIA, so I'm having a creativity crisis.

The contents of the china cabinet are a bit pedestrian... I have a full set of plain pattern Denby stoneware, with the serve ware, platter, etc. that match, plus some vintage silver serving spoons and knives in a crock. The cabinet isn't stuffed full, but I wish the room had "something" else in it. Even the ceiling light fixture over the dining room table is very plain--a standard, not-too-exciting brass chandelier fixture.
Light fixtures aren't hard to change.

Neither is painting a wall - or adding color through art work.

If you've got room in the cabinet - what about adding some bright christmas ornaments among your dishes?? That would add some pizzaz.

Personally I don't put things on top of my furniture pieces (nor my kitchen cabinets) unless I totally had to be cause I was out of room. (then I donate some things and make more room). But that's me. 2.5' (30") is a decent amount of space -- but not a ton. You could alway put a decorative piece on the wall itself if you feel its a huge amount of blank space (like a decorative metal grillework piece, or something similar). I wouldn't put a painting up that high, because normally you hang paintings closer to eye level. But something simpler, that you're just adding for texture or color might be okay hung that high.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:40 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
Have you thought of painting the inside of the cabinet ? You could add color to the room and make it more attractive. I don't know the colors you are using in your home, but for instance a gray blue, or soft yellow, you could even wallpaper the inside of the back. It doesn't cost much but would change the look of the cabinet. If you did the gray blue then I would add napkins with holders sitting inside of the cabinet that were red with gold ornate napkin rings. It would give a pop of color.

http://www.town-n-country-living.com.../DSC_00163.jpg

this gives an example of what i mean.

I like that cabinet you posted and the paint looks nice. However, that ugly brown basket on top of it just doesn't belong there. It looks out of place and throws the cabinet, its contents, and the artwork out of balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating