Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 07:33 PM

163 posts, read 269,806 times

Advertisements

I have a super dated house that I want to remodel. Budget is $50K.

I am overwhelmed by the idea of hiring different contractors for all the different projects. The bathrooms, kitchen, attic, crawl space, electrical, everything has to be done.

Is there a way to hire a person who runs the entire project, pretty much exactly like Property Brothers on HGTV? In other words, I hire one person to help design the house, then they deal with hiring the contractors and they are responsible for dealing with any issues.

Thank you for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 08:46 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
That is the role of the general contractor.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:46 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Yes, but not for $50K.
This magical person needs to make a living, so add 20% to your budget.
Then double it to make worthwhile at all for the magical person.
HGTV is not real life.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:49 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I agree, $50K is not enough for all your projects. Not for quality material and work.
You might get a "handyman" to do that, but expect to see cutting edges and inferior material.

You can use this calculator to estimate costs in your area:
http://www.homewyse.com/services/index.html

Old 12-13-2015, 08:55 PM

163 posts, read 269,806 times
Thanks all

Old 12-13-2015, 08:55 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Dave, you are so right. I was just giving the "name " to the person the OP was looking for. Generally speaking, kitchen and bath remodelers are often the same people, although some do specialize. Not sure if you are aware, but the kitchen and bath are two of the more costly upgrades.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:07 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Our insurance man recommended ServPro when we had a big claim. They came in and coordinated the work and the subcontractors. I thought they did a great job, and a company which deals a lot with insurance claims would have both small and large projects.
I believe they are a franchise, so each one would only be as good as the people running it.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:23 AM

914 posts, read 1,136,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlephil View Post

I am overwhelmed by the idea of hiring different contractors for all the different projects. The bathrooms, kitchen, attic, crawl space, electrical, everything has to be done.

Is there a way to hire a person who runs the entire project, pretty much exactly like Property Brothers on HGTV? In other words, I hire one person to help design the house, then they deal with hiring the contractors and they are responsible for dealing with any issues.

Thank you for any help!
There is a cost for hiring your own project manager. I'm beginning to realize that for me, it might be cheaper to be my own project manager. I'm beginning to worry about hiring project managers that have 20 other projects going on at the same time.

Hopefully you find someone who is great at multi tasking on many levels. Good luck!

I can see a budget of $50K for just a kitchen or a small kitchen and a bathroom, but not a whole house where plumbing, electrical and all cosmetics have to be done. You may need to prioritize the most important things, like upgrading the electrical and bones of the house. Cosmetic work may need to be put on hold, or done to a minimum.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:35 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlephil View Post

Thank you for any help!

Yes; as others have said- (GC) General Contractor

At $50k? In Seattle?

Fell outta my chair laughing! Isn't that also home of the $15/hr hamburger flippers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating