Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 10:32 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times

Advertisements

We do not have *Xmas* decorations to put up so there are never any to take down.
We do have *Christmas* decorations that are put up the day after Thanksgiving and taken down some during the first couple weeks of January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 10:40 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Living room is put back together. Did that today since our circus left yesterday. Still have other rooms to put back together but Christmas is now in boxes with the exception of the wreaths outside. I now have a new Christmas box since I acquired a couple of new decorations this year (one was complements of my sister). So now the question is WHERE TO PUT THEM? Last year, I put them in a little closet in what we refer to our "inventory room" (our business of buying junk & selling antiques) but we have so much crap...er...stuff in that room and I could use those shelves for some of that crap...er...stuff and I could put Christmas up in the attic. Haven't decided yet.

Cat

Old 01-04-2016, 10:45 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I do this every year. I have way too much Christmas stuff. Where does it all come from? Does it breed in the basement while I'm not looking? Fact is, I put out only a third of it, so every holiday season, I vow not to buy anything new (other than the tree) and cull ten things. Just ten. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it really does add up. My goal is to have one wreath box, one medium greenery/lighting box, one large ornament/decor box, and one small wrapping paper/ribbon box. Then it will all fit into the basement cabinet neatly. Sigh. I'll get there eventually.
I feel your pain. And I imagine I have at least 25 years on you in which time the decorations have also managed to breed in the basement! I usually don't purge every year unless something is broken so I see before me a task similar to the fifth labor of Hercules. The Augean Stables await. I doubt I'll be done by Epiphany!

Old 01-04-2016, 10:47 AM

45,377 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
..............LOL! I've known people who've left their Christmas stuff up so long it might as well have been Christmas year 'round!

I've told this story here before but I'll repeat it.

A few years ago the investor neighbor called me out publicly at a meeting because my outside lights were still up (these were the big C-9 ones, had both stories of the house, the wrap around porch and the roof outlined with them in red and green) on the 10th or 11th of January.

One of the reasons they were still up was because there was a foot of snow on the roof and I didn't feel like risking taking them down.

She pissed me off so bad (which, in all honesty, it doesn't take much for her to accomplish) those lights became the holiday lights for every one up through Memorial Day that year, when I finally took them down.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:09 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I've told this story here before but I'll repeat it.

A few years ago the investor neighbor called me out publicly at a meeting because my outside lights were still up (these were the big C-9 ones, had both stories of the house, the wrap around porch and the roof outlined with them in red and green) on the 10th or 11th of January.

One of the reasons they were still up was because there was a foot of snow on the roof and I didn't feel like risking taking them down.

She pissed me off so bad (which, in all honesty, it doesn't take much for her to accomplish) those lights became the holiday lights for every one up through Memorial Day that year, when I finally took them down.

lol! My dad built the wiring for those big bulbs into the eaves of our old house so that he didn't have to take them down (just turned the switch off when the Christmas season was over). But we lived out in the sticks and no one cared if we sometimes switched them on for birthdays, too.

I didn't put up anything this year as we were gone from before Christmas until New Years day. Which gave me a bit of a sad feeling as I love Christmas decorations (though not before thanksgiving, lol), and especially the lighting which is so cheery on dreary winter days/nights.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:06 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
We are leaving ours up until February of 2017.
I need to have President Trump™'s Geheime Staatspolizei see that we are OK and don't need to be forcibly removed from our house and sent back to our Muslim Mexican homeland.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:05 AM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I have way too much Christmas stuff. Where does it all come from? Does it breed in the basement while I'm not looking? Fact is, I put out only a third of it, so every holiday season, I vow not to buy anything new (other than the tree) and cull ten things. Just ten. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it really does add up..
Every year I tell myself I'm gong to sort it all out and set aside one tote full of stuff to sell, donate, or give away. Some year I may actually do it. *sigh*

Old 01-05-2016, 06:48 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
I have posted this before but it is a pretty creative idea. We used to have a neighbor who put up red, white and green screw in C9 bulbs. He would alternate a red, a white and a green. Christmas all were on, for Valentines day he would slightly unscrew the green, for St. Patricks day he would then screw the green back in and unscrew the red. He would laughing tell us that by April it was warm enough to take down the lights. Always seemed like a lot of work to me but he honestly did it in 5 minutes.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:51 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I love this - Box O' Christmas! If only there were one box!

No, I want more, I just live in a tiny one bedroom apartment so aside from the box and the tree stand, that's all that fits. I still have been unable to obtain a storage unit in my building, which I will eventually flip out about.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:11 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
No, I want more, I just live in a tiny one bedroom apartment so aside from the box and the tree stand, that's all that fits. I still have been unable to obtain a storage unit in my building, which I will eventually flip out about.
Be careful what you wish for. Now in the second half of my life, I've found that it is much easier to accumulate holiday decor than it is to dispose of it. My MIL gifted us boxes of stuff early in our marriage when we decorated our first tiny tree with a dozen glass balls and a box of candy canes, because we were dead broke and could afford no more. Once the kids came along, she upped the ante with one ornament for each kid every holiday. (That's more than fifty ornaments alone.) We are buried in baubles every season, only a portion of which will fit on a normal-sized tree. It's ridiculous, and I'd love nothing more than to dump 75% of them, but it would cause hard feelings, so I dutifully store it all. Heaven forbid she ask about some weird thing she gave us two decades ago, and I fail to lay hands on it immediately. Why, oh why, do I subject myself to this nonsense? Wow, I'm starting to sound like a head case!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating