Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 05:21 PM

45,471 posts, read 60,707,289 times

Advertisements

UPDATE:

Mrs. NBP told me today that I am allowed to take the outside decorations down this week "If you like".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 05:21 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,389,678 times
Still holding on until Epiphany. For the moment my need to put things away has manifested in cleaning and organizing the basement. I hauled three huge boxes of stuff to a local charity's collection center this afternoon.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:08 PM

13,059 posts, read 18,149,829 times
I just returned from a drive through the neighborhood. I would say approximately 3/4 of the previously decorated homes are now returned to normal. I will watch to see if the decorations are on as mine will be til the 6th and report back.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:47 AM

26,763 posts, read 26,875,608 times
By Dec 31....and I always find it a depressing chore. My favorite column about it by Erma Bombeck:

"Read my lips and slowly repeat after me: ''I am going to take the Christmas tree down.'' You will only have to say it once and feet will scurry, doors will slam, car motors will turn over. In 30 seconds you'll feel like the last person on Earth.

No one loves a Christmas tree on Jan. 1."

Erma Bombeck - Another Christmas season bites the dust

Old 01-04-2016, 07:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Yep, you would have thought I told my husband, "Let's go to the salt mines," when I said, "Can you help me put away the Christmas stuff?"

Honestly, he was like a kid who doesn't want to do something so he makes it harder to do it with him than by yourself. We have five grown kids - you'd think he'd know that I'm onto that.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:21 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,306,864 times
We took down the outside stuff this past weekend, and have about half of the inside done. We'll hopefully finish up the inside tonight.

But I did tell my husband that we should consider retiring somewhere that "does" Christmas all year round.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:57 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,868,943 times
I am the only one that has to wrestle the big boxes out of the garage and put the decor up ( wife has health issues and can't do much). Therefore, I am eager to put the stuff up. I would be a minimalist but she wants stuff up; however, since we didn't have much family here , I didn't see the need. I am always busy with musical programs before Christmas and really don't like using my energy for decorating ( my brother was the opposite, he worked in the display division at Saks). Therefore, I usually want the decor down soon after Christmas even though I am very much into the Liturgical Year and plan music for our church. That part, I am pedantic LOL

Old 01-04-2016, 08:23 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,004,492 times
Well, all of our Christmas stuff has been put away for the season. It was a nice weekend here in Colorado to do it. Temps were in the mid 40s with the sun out brightly above us. With our house back to normal, we also took the time to do a nice 'spring cleaning'. This also got us motivated to do a lot of organizing throughout the house. I went through and cleaned the garage along with organizing my tools and all my loose nuts/bolts/screws, etc. It was nice to get all of this done and have a nice clean house to show for it.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:16 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,611,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I didn't have to much so it didn't take too long to take down/put things into my tiny minuscule Box O'Christmas. The only thing still up right now is the tree, with everything else removed from it, because we have to wait for whenever garbage is next going out.
I love this - Box O' Christmas! If only there were one box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
UPDATE:

Mrs. NBP told me today that I am allowed to take the outside decorations down this week "If you like".
Glad you've been given permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Still holding on until Epiphany. For the moment my need to put things away has manifested in cleaning and organizing the basement. I hauled three huge boxes of stuff to a local charity's collection center this afternoon.
That's going to be my bug-a-boo in putting Christmas away. I intend to go through all the Christmas bins and purge. This won't be pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
We took down the outside stuff this past weekend, and have about half of the inside done. We'll hopefully finish up the inside tonight.

But I did tell my husband that we should consider retiring somewhere that "does" Christmas all year round.
LOL! I've known people who've left their Christmas stuff up so long it might as well have been Christmas year 'round!

Old 01-04-2016, 10:29 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,389,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
That's going to be my bug-a-boo in putting Christmas away. I intend to go through all the Christmas bins and purge. This won't be pretty.
I do this every year. I have way too much Christmas stuff. Where does it all come from? Does it breed in the basement while I'm not looking? Fact is, I put out only a third of it, so every holiday season, I vow not to buy anything new (other than the tree) and cull ten things. Just ten. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it really does add up. My goal is to have one wreath box, one medium greenery/lighting box, one large ornament/decor box, and one small wrapping paper/ribbon box. Then it will all fit into the cabinet neatly. Sigh. I'll get there eventually.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-04-2016 at 10:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating