Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,712 times

Advertisements

I am looking for help on how I can layout the furniture in my living room. If you look at my drawing attached I have a love seat on living room side of stair wall and a sofa on the wall with outside door in a L shape and a recliner by the double window facing fireplace which has a TV over it hung on wall. I am looking for a different way to put furniture plus I am fixing purchase a new living room set and trying to decide what pieces to buy. I am getting all new furniture. my room is 16 ft long from stair wall to fireplace and 13ft wide.
Attached Thumbnails
Help.... how to put furniture-living-room.jpg  

Last edited by mlisa402; 01-03-2016 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: adding measurements
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 07:49 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
You place all the furniture then move it around a few times until you like the way it looks. After you get the new furniture you do the same thing.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,712 times
I feel limited because I have to leave walk way from outer door to double door leading to kitchen

Old 01-04-2016, 02:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
It's hard for me to visualize well, but in general, you group your seating around the fireplace or TV. In your case, both of these are together, so I'd try to group around the fireplace. You don't seem to have a lot of space between where seating would go, and path to the kitchen. So think of using a smaller piece--perhaps a chair--close to the door, and use your love seat and other purchased pieces in the rest of the seating area.

I note that you have a largish open corner in the room. Is that where you will put an eating area?

Old 01-04-2016, 03:13 PM

163 posts, read 144,256 times
It's hard for me to visualize the space as well. Do you have enough room putting the two sofa's across from one another rather then in an L position? We have ours positioned this way and I love it when we have company over. We look directly at each other instead of to the side. Watching shows we can lay towards the TV.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:21 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
In our old home, long living dining combo found in many older homes....I made a seating area in front of fireplace..similar to your fireplace in the layout. I put the love seat across from and facing the couch. the ends of these pieces faced the fireplace (sideways) I had end tables on the outer side of the couch and love seat,(not the end near fireplace) coffee table between. You are sitting facing your company, and glancing sideways at the fireplace. Or, you could do two chairs, across from couch, with a bit more option to turn chairs than love seat.

if you have a nice area rug, 5 By 7, or larger....start with that, push all furniture away, lay rug lengthwise from fireplace..leave about foot of your flooring exposed just in front of fireplace, now the rug makes your outline for your sitting area. Place your pieces, however you choose as I described above.

Personally I loved this arrangement...we had built ins on either side of the fireplace where we displayed vases, etc. At the area close to the door I put an antique octagon table. There were tall book cases along the interior wall...opposite the fireplace wall, so it became a real nice natural walk way past the dining area to the kitchen doorway.

You can place runners on outside the perimeter ...that helps direct traffic...and adds warmth.
For your area...you could do 2 love seats...with 2 occasional chairs...choose which ever you prefer to face your fireplace/tv

Last edited by JanND; 01-04-2016 at 05:41 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 05:36 PM

318 posts, read 372,662 times
Play around with the furniture you have, even using pieces as "blocks" to move around until you have a suitable arrangement.

You could have sofas flanking either side of the fireplace with any type of coffee table in between so people can face eachother and chat. or, same arrangement only the other side is a pair of chairs with a side table between them.

Biggest thing is figuring out the scale and bring a measuring tape with you so you have enough walkway. Enormous furniture showrooms tricked a few of my friends. Looked small in the showroom, pieces that would have fit appeared kiddy sized. Of course, when delivered it had to be just stuffed inside the actual house and looked monstrous.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:11 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,566 times
You can use graph paper to make a to-scale drawing of the room and the pieces furniture. Then you can move them around and see where things fit, without actually moving the furniture itself. It can also help you visualize things.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
You can use graph paper to make a to-scale drawing of the room and the pieces furniture. Then you can move them around and see where things fit, without actually moving the furniture itself. It can also help you visualize things.
Excellent idea.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:38 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
If you are stuck you can use painters tape to tape out the real size and placement of the furniture in the room, then walk through it. Change until you come up with something that works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating