Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 11:48 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the trend is and has been mostly neutral and muted colors. Carpet's a big investment and color trends in decorating and furniture change often, so you don't want to have a carpet that will have to be changed in five years when your kid is sick of it or orange is passe.

That said, I do remember when carpets WERE colorful. How about forest-green in the late 80's, anyone? Or mauve in the 90's? Then they went nearly white in the 2000's, and now are at a more practical beige-tan level. And patterns are big. We'll see what the next big trend is, but for now, I stuck with a neutral beige/brown mix with my recent new bedroom carpeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 12:09 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
One of my rent houses had orange shag carpet in it. Thought I was going to throw up. The Harvest Gold appliances didn't help either. The house is now all porcelain tile and of course neutral colors but high definition tile. FWIW, most carpet companies can take carpeting, even those with elaborate designs, and make rugs out of it. The wife has several different sets she's had made up and changes them out with the seasons. Some are rectangle, some are round, some are red, some are grey, some are green, and some are beige. Certainly makes the house look different every 3-4 months.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:23 AM

914 posts, read 1,137,610 times
Growing up as a kid in the 70s, I vividly remember our bright orange shag carpet and green striped shag carpet as well. It went so well with our gold foiled and red fuzzy wallpaper and wood paneling. LOL!! The shag was so long, my mother made us rake it. Yes, I said "rake," like what you do to leaves in the fall.

On a side note, I'm so glad those days are over.

To the OP, they make carpet in gray and light cream or off white colors if you don't like beige. In our last home, we had a pale off white berber, and are rugs looked nice on it.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:08 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times

All the finest homes had one. You can still buy them; shag carpeting -- not as loud, or as long as in the 70s -- is back in the stores.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I have been looking for new carpeting and I have never seen so many shades of beige and brown. A few might have colors that would work in a 10 year old girl's bedroom, but for the most part, they all seem to be shades of beige and brown.

I'm not sure what color I am really looking for - maybe a cinnamon or deep orange. Something with a little life to it.

Has anyone else been disappointed in the lack of colors? Has anyone found anything more interesting than beige or brown carpet?
I would go with a neutral laminate floor and then jazz it up with area rugs which can be changed out as your daughter gets older and her tastes change.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:13 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki in Tx. View Post
We were looking for remnants and the only remnants we could find were beige or light brown. The same colors my daughter had in all her apartments! Ick....

We have bought remnants to use as area rugs. They are much cheaper and we like solid colors-unlike most area rugs which have some kind of design. We found both light & dark blue. The light blue is in our living room & the dark blue is in our office.

Cat

Old 01-06-2016, 01:15 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Most good flooring stores offer carpet that can be ordered in a wide variety of colors (even if beige is what they sell the most of). You just have to find the right store.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:19 PM

914 posts, read 1,137,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

All the finest homes had one. You can still buy them; shag carpeting -- not as loud, or as long as in the 70s -- is back in the stores.
"Get one for a friend. She'll love you for it."

So glad the 70's are over.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
What color are the walls? I'd use the colors in the rest of the room to help decide the color of the carpet.

And, realtors advise to have no more than 3 floor colors in a medium sized home. I'd prefer the color that as in the rest of the house, frankly.

If your daughter is quite young, and does crafts and such, I'd think that a medium shade would be best. Light carpets show dirt. But if you really just want a functional carpet in there, why not think along the lines of a flat commercial carpet? It would be easiest to clean. Actually, that's what I want to put in the room where our computer and my craft stuff is. We have rolling chairs, and I'd like a flat carpet.

And, I think that if you are going with warm colored walls, you should think along the lines of a cool color for the floor. And vice versa, for warm colored walls.

Other posters have advocated neutrals, and in general, I agree. You can do so much with the rest of the room.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:16 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I would go with a neutral laminate floor and then jazz it up with area rugs which can be changed out as your daughter gets older and her tastes change.
Laminate in a bedroom? Ugh. Especially if it's on the second floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
And, realtors advise to have no more than 3 floor colors in a medium sized home. I'd prefer the color that as in the rest of the house, frankly.
How limiting ... and how boring. You're especially screwed if your kitchen and bathroom floors are different; that's two right there.

Current trends are so bland and dull. I'm happy to not be one of the sheeple that follow them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating