Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 06:42 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Manufacturers of "brushed nickel" are laughing all the way to the bank-

What you're buying is "brushed steel" with a tinted lacquer finish.

If you want Nickel, go polished! Polished Nickel looks soooooo much richer than chrome.
And people buying polished nickel (or just about any finish) are buying zinc or brass with a plating.

I like polished nickel. It reflects back to the 20's and 30's. It's a glamorous finish but IMHO works best with white and reflective finishes. It has a warmer tone than polished chrome - think of it as chrome with a tan.

I'm a fan of satin nickel as it goes with many more other finishes. I've never been a fan of dark bronze (note the label) as you never really know how it's going to wear. Some of the less expensive product out there is plated in dark brown and may stay that color or wear very quickly. A true oil rubbed bronze is brass or bronze base (similar metals with different levels of tin) which is oxidized and then rubbed with oil. It's supposed to wear off as you use it and then oxidize back to a brownish color. It's expensive to make and that's why you hear the finish dark bronze, it's cheaper to make.

I'm not a fan of oil rubbed bronze/dark brown faucets. They stain easily and if you use anything harsher than hand soap, you will damage the finish. If one really wants that finish, look for a faucet that is finished in PVD. Physical Vapor Deposition is a process in which metals are combined in a chamber and applied to the product. The finish will not come off. But many of those finishes don't look quite right.

The hot finishes now are polished nickel, satin brass, and unlacquered brass. The last two cause me to gag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 08:03 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Ummm....its the color of dirt lol.
But so is much wood furniture, cabinets and dark wood flooring !! LOL

Old 02-05-2016, 11:06 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,435,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
But so is much wood furniture, cabinets and dark wood flooring !! LOL
True, but I wouldn't want dark wood flooring or kitchen cabinets either for several reasons, not just their color. Additionally, a lot of ORB has a mottled color which makes it look even dirtier to me.

I am not a big brown person other than wood furniture or floors and even there I tend to go lighter. The dark wood furniture I have is not something I handle all the time in a way that introduces dirty or messy things like a kitchen or bathroom. I'm not preparing food, showering, bathing, etc on my furniture or floors.

I'm also not a fan of the whole Tuscan kitchen look where you see it so often unless it is in a Tuscan style house or a real farm house.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:07 AM

163 posts, read 144,158 times
We're doing the same thing OP! However, I'm only purchasing 8 pieces at a time each week and starting with our kitchen. Our home when we purchased it in June had not one single piece of hardware, ugh! In the kitchen a lone is 40 plus pieces of hardware. It can be really expensive.

I love all kinds of styles as long as they match together. After looking at your photo's I would go with oil rubbed over Nickel. Just because of your cabinets. If you're changing those out too then you may want hold off.

Old 10-04-2022, 11:34 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Personally, I like brushed nickel.

Old 10-04-2022, 01:38 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Pink porcelain, rose gold fixtures!

Old 10-04-2022, 02:03 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
Oil rubbed bronze is officially an out of style trend, with fewer new styles being introduced. I would stick with brushed nickel or stainless steel which won't go out of style any time soon. Yes, I understand the current trends are matte black, brushed gold, and champagne bronze, but those might eventually go out of style as well.

Old 10-04-2022, 05:00 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
If you buy what YOU LIKE and ignore the style-du-jour you'll probably be happy with it for a very long time. All this angst over trend...unless you're a flipper or a salesman, just don't get it myself.

Old 10-05-2022, 07:43 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
If you buy what YOU LIKE and ignore the style-du-jour you'll probably be happy with it for a very long time. All this angst over trend...unless you're a flipper or a salesman, just don't get it myself.
Hey - I make my living off those trends.

The average homeowner moves every 7 years so long term, there isn't an issue with being on trend. People simply move to a new home and often start over with the latest.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:15 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Oil rubbed bronze is officially an out of style trend…

So, you’re saying it’s trendy but out of style?

Funny how some people don’t know the difference between “trendy” and “in/out of style”- glad you clarified!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating