Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 11:29 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,185,127 times

Advertisements

Re backsplash, there are 7 electric plug in/switch wall plates. Is your kitchen going to have as many? That will make any backsplash look too busy and awful. Whatever you do, try to get those wall plates to blend in and not stick out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 11:47 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,041,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Re backsplash, there are 7 electric plug in/switch wall plates. Is your kitchen going to have as many? That will make any backsplash look too busy and awful. Whatever you do, try to get those wall plates to blend in and not stick out.
Yeah, that's the actual kitchen. I had been thinking of replacing the face plates of the electrical outlets with stainless steel covers.

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 02-11-2016 at 12:23 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 04:40 AM

914 posts, read 1,129,630 times
If you can afford it, I would also replace the countertops with a light colored granite or Quartz. It looks to be laminate and it's kind of blah and dark. Your cabinets are nice so the fact they don't contrast much with the darkish floor and darkish counter, makes them not stand out. I think glass doors in the cabinets above the kitchen sink with white dishes, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, would be nice. I would choose a light granite with a little brown veining. Get a new undermount sink and nicer faucet as well. I would choose a simple one color tile backsplash as well, in a light color.

Here is an example of a glass cabinet near the sink, and it's lit up too. It also has a dish rack. I like the contrast with the countertops here as well.

Fast Kitchen Cabinets Ready To Assemble 2015

Last edited by twodoor2; 02-11-2016 at 05:00 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 04:56 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,173,820 times
I would do the shelving, that way it doesn't stick out as far as the cabinets. I have never had cabinets over a sink. I like the light it helps keep the kitchen well lit.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:00 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,096,995 times

You could probably do something similar to this for a lot less money if you don't want an actual cabinet there. The second kitchen posted with the small cabinet looks a lot better than what you have. Even if you didn't want the cabinet there, the light they put in is way too small for that space. I'm just trying to figure out why the builder though that gap was a good idea in the first place. I don't think your kitchen is dark at all and looks just fine, minus the goofy gap over the sink.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post

You could probably do something similar to this for a lot less money if you don't want an actual cabinet there. The second kitchen posted with the small cabinet looks a lot better than what you have. Even if you didn't want the cabinet there, the light they put in is way too small for that space. I'm just trying to figure out why the builder though that gap was a good idea in the first place. I don't think your kitchen is dark at all and looks just fine, minus the goofy gap over the sink.
That has a window so that's why it's ok to have a huge gap over the sink.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
For a very traditional looking kitchen like that, I agree and would choose plate covers that blend in with the backsplash. I had stainless plate covers in my last kitchen, but it was more modern and there were stainless accents in the backsplash.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:12 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,662,538 times
Don't put a cheap, stick-on backsplash.

Save up to get a tile person to do it right.

To me, the path of least resistance is to upgrade the light fixture and leave the cabinets alone. No need to funk up the space with workarounds.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:23 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,882,924 times
You can probably do the cabinet over the sink like you wanted but add a shelf like this.

http://img.8-ball.work/2015/09/28/ab...eede776352.jpg

But in all honesty, the two pictures you posted. Those are hideous designs (especially seeing the whole picture).

Old 02-11-2016, 10:12 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,469,972 times
I agree that the blank space with the light looks awkward. It needs something.

A wine rack between those two cabinets might look pretty good. I'd probably take the rack 1/2 to 3/4 way down the cabinet and then run the backsplash material up to the bottom of it.

I agree about not using the stick on backsplash. Backsplashes aren't that expensive to do the regular way. I had mine, which is a similar sqftg to yours, ripped out and re-tiled for about $300 plus materials.

Good luck with your new house! I know you're excited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating