Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 02:40 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,197,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post
Hello

I am wondering what people think in general of a house with a double curved staircase in the foyer? we didnt think it was that bad when we viewed the home, but i am thinking from resale point of view, is it an eye sore? too ornate? does it turn people off?
is it a fad that is too taste specific or does it actually increase a home in value?
I wouldn't worry about the resale value. If a majority of the homes have that double stairway then leave it alone if you love it. I like how the homes look and would go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 02:41 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,029,803 times
Personally, I think it's pretentious if it's not a true mansion rather than a McMansion. And a waste of space.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:47 PM

151 posts, read 188,279 times
I'm a fan of victorian style homes so I personally would love it.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:25 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,867,038 times
Quote:
https://www.tollbrothers.com/luxury-...d=SPi1#gallery

something like this? the picture is right in the middle of the page...
It looks awesome. We didn't do that because of cost, but they look great!

Old 02-16-2016, 05:11 PM

169 posts, read 327,281 times
Ok guys so in summary most people tend to think it's nice and a dramatic entry to the house but is quite a waste of space and can be annoying from a vaccuming point of view . Resale doesn't sound bad especially if it fits the scale of the house. Doesn't sound like such a big deal or sore thumb anymore !

Old 02-16-2016, 05:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,510,406 times
Totally depends on the style of the house. If you like it, then go for it! If you don't like it, then don't go for it. Don't stress over what buyers in the future will think of a staircase. You're the one living with it.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:26 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,510,406 times
Quote:
The house we saw did seem big enough .. So I guess it's not too pretentious if it fits ? Don't mind the vaccuming bit as such . Have these been around long ? Is this look exclusive to toll brother types ?
Double staircases have been around for well over 100 years. Nothing new there! South Carolina and Georgia are known for the double staircase homes especially on the coastal areas. Charleston and Savannah have some amazing homes with double stair cases.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:29 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,375,021 times
A 700,000 dollar house in Charlotte? With or without a double stair case, I don't think so. Especially if it were built by Toll Brothers.

With acreage and built custom by a local quality builder maybe. Then you could have whatever you wanted minus the ostentatious double staircase that belongs in a period home.

That being said, if there are people willing to buy this now, I'm sure there will be willing to buy it 10 years from now.

The main thing I don't like about the house other than the ridiculous double staircase, is that there are huge ballrooms/bowling alleys of wasted space.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:52 PM

13,632 posts, read 12,257,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
This. Vacuuming stairs is pretty low on my list of favorite things to do. Plus it's not really my style. A little (ok, a LOT) on the showy side with no real practical reason for it. Waste of space. IMO of course.
Many if not most folks with a home this big have a cleaning lady for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
OP I think if you are looking to purchase this particular kind of home, what needs to be considered is whether you plan on staying there long term. From the responses you've received, I think there's enough to consider the potential impact on resale. If resale isn't a consideration for you and you love it, go for it.
Does it fit in the neighborhood and the area? It isn't all that uncommon on large homes, especially large newer construction homes, but there are homes in my hometown that have it and they are 30-40 years old, and I'm sure it can be seen in older homes.

There isn't anything wrong with it. This is America, and we don't live in government built apartment blocks where we all walk to the collectivized factory. If you can pay for it, go for it.

Opinions on this vary from love it to hate it.

This really puts it in the same category as:
Stainless Appliances
White Appliances
Finished Basements
Unfinished Basements
Urban Condominiums and Townhomes
Suburban Homes and Townhomes with HOA's
Rural Homes
Tile Floors
Carpeted Floors
Marble Floors
Wood Floors
Upstairs Laundry Rooms
First Floor Laundry Rooms

Folks like what folks like. Someone bought it before you and someone will buy it after you. For every person that thinks its an unnecessary largesse, there is someone else that likes the statement or the visual appeal.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:56 PM

13,632 posts, read 12,257,134 times
Quote:
Ok guys so in summary most people tend to think it's nice and a dramatic entry to the house but is quite a waste of space and can be annoying from a vaccuming point of view . Resale doesn't sound bad especially if it fits the scale of the house. Doesn't sound like such a big deal or sore thumb anymore !
It does take away from living space, but on most houses that have them Living space is at a surplus anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating