Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 07:51 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,950 times

Advertisements

I went to somebody's house and it was very clean, they had wooden floors, furniture was white (a lot like the picture), he even had paintings up and decorations from different countries. I had no idea why I felt so uncomfortable at his house because we do get along. I think the style just feels very sterilized like it has no personality... like a doctor's office.. very neutral colors... even with some color from the rugs didn't do it for me. I couldn't figure out why I felt that way until I came across some pictures that made me think of his house and I had the same reaction. It just doesn't feel like home to me.

I feel much more comfortable going to someone's house and seeing some color I guess, plants, decorations, small knick knacks, just something with more personality. I may even prefer seeing a messy place. As long as it says a human lives there. I guess I'm just a bit weird in that aspect. No, my place isn't super messy or disgusting. I keep it quite clean and there's carpet so it feels more warm to me. I'm looking around and I don't have a lot of things either but I wouldn't call it minimalist. Does anybody else get a weird vibe when they see someone living in a minimalist style? I just feel like that's reserved for places outside the home... But with that dude, even when I saw his books at his library and other things around, his place still gives me weird vibes probably because of the first impression I had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 08:17 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,932,190 times
WAY too sterile! UGLY! Shows major lack of planning.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
You get to decorate the way you want and your friend gets to decorate the way he wants. There isn't any right or wrong.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
I prefer the minimalist look to those who feel the need to have every corner and every wall of every room decorated.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:07 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,423,827 times
I suspect that most people would think my house is minimalist. I see it as simply free from clutter (and tacky/cheap/pointless "stuff" that's normally used for decoration). The things that are out for display are either vintage/antiques, and usually something I've repaired or restored, or items that my wife ad I have collected on our travels.

If you have walls FULL of hanging stuff and every flat surface crammed with photos/nick-naks (the opposite of minimalist), it comes across as dirty/filthy (*NOT* someone I'd allow to prepare food for me), cluttered, busy, garish, distracting and generally unappealing.

The world is funny that way... it'd be a boring place if we All liked the exact same thing, eh?

Old 02-18-2016, 05:45 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
[quote=GKelly;43049949]I went to somebody's house and it was very clean, they had wooden floors, furniture was white (a lot like the picture), he even had paintings up and decorations from different countries. I had no idea why I felt so uncomfortable at his house because we do get along. I think the style just feels very sterilized like it has no personality... like a doctor's office.. very neutral colors... even with some color from the rugs didn't do it for me. I couldn't figure out why I felt that way until I came across some pictures that made me think of his house and I had the same reaction. It just doesn't feel like home to me.

That makes sense it wouldn't feel like home, since it's not your house. BTW, is this a personal friend? The way you're talking, this man sounds like an acquaintance, not someone you're very close to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I feel much more comfortable going to someone's house and seeing some color I guess, plants, decorations, small knick knacks, just something with more personality. I may even prefer seeing a messy place. As long as it says a human lives there. I guess I'm just a bit weird in that aspect. No, my place isn't super messy or disgusting. I keep it quite clean and there's carpet so it feels more warm to me. I'm looking around and I don't have a lot of things either but I wouldn't call it minimalist. Does anybody else get a weird vibe when they see someone living in a minimalist style? I just feel like that's reserved for places outside the home... But with that dude, even when I saw his books at his library and other things around, his place still gives me weird vibes probably because of the first impression I had.
It seems like you are confusing a minimalist appearance with stark looking. Minimalist involves using few items, whereas starkness involves the absence of color. Using all white/beige can give a home a stark appearance, even if there are homey, decorative touches added to the home. As for your comment about the lack of carpet, that can be a geographical phenomenon. Here in Texas as in other Southern states, many homes have no carpet at all because it absorbs heat and is harder to clean than tile or wood flooring.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:47 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
I would say that if it bothers you to the degree that it makes you uncomfortable,that you have a problem. I agree with you feelings against minimalism, it is too sterile an environment for me to live in, but it doesn't make me uncomfortable at all and I can even say I have been in minimalist homes and find them striking, but not a place I want to live in. If done well, they can be beautiful, and I can recognize that it is their taste and not mine. Simply put it just doesn't float my boat, but the people make me comfortable in their home, the whole "Mi case is su casa," thing.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:20 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,302,520 times
I don't care for it at all. I also think it looks very sterile and commercial....like an office setting. But, each person has their preference and that's fine. I don't like it and I don't have to live with it, so whatever floats your boat!

Old 02-18-2016, 09:20 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
The image in the first post is NOT an example of "current minimalist interior design" it is probably a flooring ad. And the room is probably at least 650 sf, not a standard bedroom size.

IMO it is pretty boring and monotone - I'd have picked a different rug, the shelves would be filled with books, there would be a seating area, etc. Of course, that is actually a fairly dark room, even with the artificial light source in the upper left.

There is no such thing as a "universal style" - everyone's taste is different. That someone doesn't like a particular style says more about the person with the dislike than it does the person with the style. The only exception I can think of is that exact opposite, someone who isn't a decorator as much as a hoarder, where the rooms are borderline unsafe.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:25 PM

41,966 posts, read 75,217,462 times
It's not your house, so what are you fussing about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating