Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 10:58 PM

16 posts, read 13,628 times

Advertisements

So I have been looking for a full size mirrored armoire for a really long time. In November I was perusing FB Buy and Sell and came across this guy. (Definitely a 'He'!) and it was a decent price - $200 CAN. I snatched it up right away. IT looked normal size in the photos, so I had no reason to think anything different.

When I went to pick it up, it was sitting on top of milk crates. I asked the seller (a 17 year old girl) about it's history. She inherited it from her uncle, and he bought it on the coast (vancouver) like this. It had four little block feet nailed to the bottom, one of which was broken. I asked her about that, and why it was so short? she said she just assumed it was because when it was made people were smaller back then. (OMG. Seriously? Seriously.)

So, I took it straight to my cabinet guy, and after looking online at similar Armoires, we decided that the entire bottom, which would be a drawer and then feet, possibly with a skirt, was missing, broken off or whatever. Yikes. So, to make this Armoire tall enough so I can see my whole body in it, I had him construct a faux drawer to mimic the style of the rest of the piece, and now we just need something to set it on.

So, I am now looking for feet. and a drawer pull to match the original hardware of the door. All the hardware inside is original (the bar and hangers)

It still needs at least 4 inches of height, so I can see my head, but 6 inches so my carpenter can see the top of his head (he is 6'2).

What do we do? It's a big substantial piece, skinny legs would look weird right? Most of these things have squat legs. Round bulbous things. Or blocks.

Help!

Oh, and, the door latch is dark metal (not sure what) and has a lion type thing on it. where can i find antique hardware?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 12:08 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
I have always found and purchased my antique hardware on ebay.
Here's a search for some dark antique drawer pulls and knobs:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...pulls&_sacat=0

Your armoire is absolutely gorgeous. I am not so sure I would add feet to it if that is the actual base you will be using. The whole piece is much too large, bold and boxy now to find feet that will look right or support it well enough. You could add a whole arched skirt piece across the bottom that extends to make the legs which would provide more support. Or just build a taller base to get the height you want but then also add a drawer or 2 for extra storage in the base. (I am confused. Is that the actual base he made because I don't see a drawer?) Then get antique drawer pulls off of ebay. The pulls won't necessarily have to match that closely to the door latch.

Just to give you an idea of no legs with drawers in the base, I purchased an old armoire that comes in 3 pieces and the bottom base has drawers in it with no legs. I repainted and stressed finished it because original paint was too damaged to restore it. I am however, still contemplating putting mirrors in the door inserts. The original door inserts were mesh.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 02-20-2016 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: Changed info.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:21 AM

I'm not sure I want to add more drawers to it - I got my guy to build this skirt in place of the original drawer because it was heavy enough without the drawer. It's a really heavy piece. You think even bulb or rectangle feet will look dumb?

The reason I ask is I like my furniture to clear the floor. I don't like them to sit flush with the rug or carpet or tile or whatever. Funny thing is, my whole bedroom set is cream coloured French Provinciale, a 6 piece set of Thomasville, original everything. And then here is this massive dark english beast of a wardrobe. LOL.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:02 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
I don't know. I guess I would worry about stability and the looks of certain legs in comparison with that big bold boxy shape but you might get some ideas here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=anti..._AUIBygC#imgrc=_

Old 02-20-2016, 04:21 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
You can get reproduction hardware at VanDyke's Van Dyke's Restorers: Restoration, Decorative Wood & Antique Hardware

An armoire like that typical is made in several boxes to be more easily moved. Feet would be something like the legacy large corner foot
Ogee Bracket Feet|Ogee Furniture Feet & Legs for Sale | Van Dyke’s Restorers®

Old 02-20-2016, 07:08 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Your cabinet guy may use some other supplier, but Van Dykes is a great resource for what you're looking for.

By your description I'd add the end "bracket foot" to the rear corners and use the corner "bracket foot" for the front corners. Then depending on the look you're wanting to achieve and the amount of space left, you might want to add an apron (center pedestal trim).

Old 02-20-2016, 12:10 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
So the sale ad did not have the dimensions listed??

I agree that feet won't look right with that base. You can find many examples online of antique English oak armoires with mirrored doors for reference.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So the sale ad did not have the dimensions listed??

I agree that feet won't look right with that base. You can find many examples online of antique English oak armoires with mirrored doors for reference.
no, the young teenager selling the item on facebook didn't have the dimensions listed. I doubt she even owned a tape measure. She didn't even realize the whole base was missing until I called her later that evening and told her. her response? "Huh. Really? Oh. Weird"

Thanks for the link to Van Dyke's. I'm going to go peruse it now!

Old 02-21-2016, 01:36 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Well, first of all, I don't think you need to worry about finding antique pulls, etc., unless you really want to, because your piece isn't worth anything as an antique, since it's no longer in original condition. So, I'd just look for hardware that you like that gives you the look you want, even if it's a faux antique pull. No need to spend the money on a real antique pull.

If it was me, I'd stain the piece your handyman made for you to match the armoire, and then put feet on it. I think it needs feet. You could add a decorative piece across the bottom edge, too. Here's a photo that was the closest thing I could find to what I'm thinking of:

http://imageresizer.furnituredealer....own.preserve=0

You could add a cornice at the top, too, like the photo.

But, even if you like clean, simple lines, I'd still add feet to it.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:13 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDeanne View Post

What do we do? It's a big substantial piece, skinny legs would look weird right? Most of these things have squat legs. Round bulbous things. Or blocks.
The round bulbous things are bun feet, and I don't think they would look right. I like the type that Weezy linked to. And yes, skinny legs would look weird.

I like it. It looks like it's in very good condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating