Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 12:21 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,372 times

Advertisements

My Living room, dining room, and foyer are all open to each other. DR chandelier is a brushed nickel, similar to this: Hampton Bay Nove 5-Light Brushed Nickel Chandelier-17165 - The Home Depot and the light fixture in the foyer coordinates.

I fell for this lamp Quoizel Inglenook Tiffany-Style Art Glass Floor Lamp - #30836 | LampsPlus.com. My couches and area rug would coordinate nicely... but would it look out of place considering that it's open to the other rooms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 01:16 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
You're worried about matching a random lap with a chandelier a few yards away? Ah, yet another pitfall of the open floor plan.

If you like it, you'll make it work. If you're more hung up on being matchy matchy, you won't.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You're worried about matching a random lap with a chandelier a few yards away? Ah, yet another pitfall of the open floor plan.

If you like it, you'll make it work. If you're more hung up on being matchy matchy, you won't.
Thanks, but I'm trying to figure out how to make it work. I'm frankly not creative enough for this.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:23 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
If it were a REAL Tiffany floor lamp- I'd say plop-it right in the middle of the room and admire the true craftsmanship!

But for a Chinese reproduction, I'd fall OUT OF LOVE with it- and find something that will be more "coordinating" with the other fixtures.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:52 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Per the datasheet, it is a Chinese made lamp. I'd have more of an issue paying that much money for anything Chinese made. I'd suggest you keep looking. Estate sales are a great place to find lamps and usually cheap. Estate sales are a fun function, try it sometime.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I think you have two pieces that you like but which are basically at war with each other. If you adore the Tiffany style lamp, then put it elsewhere. I do think you can mix finishes, although I would prefer to have most them alike. However, in most homes built before, say, 2005, the handles on the doors are brass, the bath and kitchen fixtures are something else, and the lights might be something else yet again.

For the OP, I think it best to use silver finishes for the lighting in this space. I also think you can get away with other metals for other things. But also, for continuity, use pieces that seem at home with the more modern feeling of your chandelier.

As to the Chinese imitation Tiffany style pieces, I have one. It is a rather amazing chandelier hanging in my dining area. When DH and I saw it, we both felt it was right for the space, and we couldn't find another piece we liked better. I looks really good, even though I don't have another piece like it anywhere else. Yes, it is faux, but it looks great. Generalizations are almost always not accurate.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think you have two pieces that you like but which are basically at war with each other. If you adore the Tiffany style lamp, then put it elsewhere. I do think you can mix finishes, although I would prefer to have most them alike. However, in most homes built before, say, 2005, the handles on the doors are brass, the bath and kitchen fixtures are something else, and the lights might be something else yet again.

For the OP, I think it best to use silver finishes for the lighting in this space. I also think you can get away with other metals for other things. But also, for continuity, use pieces that seem at home with the more modern feeling of your chandelier.

As to the Chinese imitation Tiffany style pieces, I have one. It is a rather amazing chandelier hanging in my dining area. When DH and I saw it, we both felt it was right for the space, and we couldn't find another piece we liked better. I looks really good, even though I don't have another piece like it anywhere else. Yes, it is faux, but it looks great. Generalizations are almost always not accurate.
Thank you!

Old 03-10-2016, 07:36 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Why not buy the lamp and spray paint it a silver/nickel color? Or see if you can find another floor lamp in nickel, and put the Tiffany shade from this lamp onto the nickel one?

I don't watch much HGTV any more, but they used to always be spray painting brass chandeliers and fireplace screens.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:12 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think you have two pieces that you like but which are basically at war with each other. If you adore the Tiffany style lamp, then put it elsewhere. I do think you can mix finishes, although I would prefer to have most them alike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
=
But for a Chinese reproduction, I'd fall OUT OF LOVE with it- and find something that will be more "coordinating" with the other fixtures.
In interior design there is unity, harmony and variety. I agree that the two lamps in the open
floor plan might be fighting each other but maybe she can make them work.
OP, maybe you might want to look at these two links from Lamps Plus for more
options, solutions or choices.

Tiffany Chandeliers | Lamps Plus

Brushed Floor Lamp | Lamps Plus

Old 03-13-2016, 10:35 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
I say just buy it and put it in your living room. I don't think it will look strange. I wouldn't worry about mixing metals too much -- it's not like you have brass thrown in there. These are both a shade of gray.

I once heard that everything you love will go together just fine. Don't worry about being matchy-matchy.

In short, if you love it, buy it. It will make you happy to look at it every day in your home. If you love both the chandelier in your DR and the lamp in your living room, then you are all set. If, for some reason, you later on decide you don't love the chandelier in your dining room, for whatever reason, then change it later on.

Focus on buying stuff you love. If you love this lamp, go for it.

And while, yes, I worry about some stuff that is made in China, not all stuff that is made in China is crap. Some of it is actually high quality stuff, and it just happens to be cheaper because the labor and other costs are cheaper. If you have a manufacturer that actually cares about quality, they will have high quality even for their stuff made in China. The problem is if you have a manufacturer that doesn't care about quality, it's way easier to have crappy stuff, and China gives it in spades because all the costs are cheaper. So, while Made in China gives me some pause, and I take an extra look at it, it isn't an automatic rejection for quality. Look at the reviews. It might suit your needs perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating