Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 11:52 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,908,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Sorry vinyl and linoleum are out for me. they will forever look cheap to me.
Spoken like someone who hasn't see the new vinyl plank flooring. The new style vinyl comes in six inch wide, snap together planks that you can't tell from real wood, and looks fantastic. It is also very easy on the feet and legs when walking on it for any amount of time.
It is taking the market by storm, it looks great, but it isn't inexpensive. The padding is expensive and once installed, it sounds like wood when you walk on it, not the hollow sound you get from laminate flooring.
We are shopping for new flooring and were planning on tile, but after seeing the new vinyl, we changed our mind and will go with the new vinyl.
There is no cost saving over tile, so we didn't make the decision to save dollars, we changed our minds because everything about it is better.. Installed price is about the same as tile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 07:52 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Spoken like someone who hasn't see the new vinyl plank flooring. The new style vinyl comes in six inch wide, snap together planks that you can't tell from real wood, and looks fantastic. It is also very easy on the feet and legs when walking on it for any amount of time.
It is taking the market by storm, it looks great, but it isn't inexpensive. The padding is expensive and once installed, it sounds like wood when you walk on it, not the hollow sound you get from laminate flooring.
We are shopping for new flooring and were planning on tile, but after seeing the new vinyl, we changed our mind and will go with the new vinyl.
There is no cost saving over tile, so we didn't make the decision to save dollars, we changed our minds because everything about it is better.. Installed price is about the same as tile.
You are right...I have not seen it. i will check it out as an option...thanks

Old 03-20-2016, 09:25 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
I've owned for 20 years and had just about every type of floor you can imagine: carpet, carpet tiles, linoleum, ceramic tiles, porcelain tiles, linoleum, vinyl sheet, vinyl square, vinyl planks.

Without a doubt, vinyl wins for all rooms. The new "luxury" vinyl is awesome. I used the self stick vinyl planks (I installed them myself) in a family room to test them out. I have 3 kids and a 100 lb dog. 2 years in and they still look like real wood and are gorgeous. Cleaning is a breeze, water is not an issue.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:57 AM

446 posts, read 709,284 times
I just picked engineered hardwood for my kitchen. Easy to clean, not as cold or hard as tile.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:18 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
We raised 4 kids and one old granny in houses with hardwood in the kitchen and never had any problems. new house will have hardwood in the kitchen as well.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:43 AM

26 posts, read 31,522 times
Tile option is the one that is something prove to be best for your kitchen.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:51 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
We have always rented with linoleum, which i HATE. When we bought our house there was about 5 layers of peel and steak tile, which i HATED. We got it down to the hardwood and i love it. It has knicks and areas, it might need a sanding but i love it. Hubby wanted to put tile over it or sand and restain- NO.

We do have tile floor to ceiling elsewhere in the kitchen (white with black grout). I HATE HATE HATE it. I could easily rip it down but then my walls would come down too. (plaster walls).

Old 05-10-2016, 10:53 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times
Go for the hardwood. Tile is slippery when wet and it's such a hard surface to stand on. Cleaning grout lines is no picnic either. I hate my tile floor and would love to change it out to hardwoods.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:19 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
There are now tile options that look like hardwood flooring. If we ever redo our kitchen like I want, that's the way I'm going.
Good choice. There is such a large variety of tile that looks like wood, the only problem would be trying to decide which one.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I would never want tile in a kitchen. Standing on it is hard on the joints, and if you drop anything breakable it will break.

If I could have hardwood, that is what I would have. In modern homes with good plumbing, I think hardwood would be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating