Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 12:33 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,137 times

Advertisements

I realize that there is a kitchen floor post running elsewhere but I wanted to narrow it down to two choices.

Currently have a rolled vinyl floor. I have narrowed it down to the two options that I find tasteful.

I am leaning toward tile because I believe this makes more sense in a wet area.

Hardwood looks really nice but I am skeptical about it holding up to spills.

What have you done and do you like it or have regrets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 12:43 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
There are now tile options that look like hardwood flooring. If we ever redo our kitchen like I want, that's the way I'm going.

$2.35SF Botanica Teak 6x24 Wood Plank Porcelain Tile

Old 03-09-2016, 12:45 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Hardwood has never been a problem in any of the kitchens I've had. It's a beautiful and amazingly forgiving surface, and wears on the feet (and dishes) SO much better than tile.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:17 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default 100% agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Hardwood has never been a problem in any of the kitchens I've had. It's a beautiful and amazingly forgiving surface, and wears on the feet (and dishes) SO much better than tile.
The problem with tile is that it is an absolute KILLER for feet / knees/ back / shoulders. Really makes it unpleasant to do things like simple prep / clean-up unless you invest in cushiony mats for each of the areas where you're likely to stand in the kitchen. Even then, drop ANYTHING that is at all fragile and be prepared to pick-up shards of glass / ceramic for days...

Modern hardwood floor finishes are very forgiving toward any of the common spills in a kitchen. If have a true "flood" like from a failed water connection it is very likely that the subfloor will be damaged even with tile as a finish floor...

Old 03-09-2016, 02:20 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Hardwood all the way. Had it in my old house and loved it. Everything the above have said is spot on. Wipes up easily. I used BONA products on it and it looked as good as new when I moved after 16 years.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:23 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times
What is your counter like, or going to be like, if you're putting in new? That was what helped me finally make a decision (I, too, was waffling between tile and HW).

Old 03-09-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
What is your counter like, or going to be like, if you're putting in new? That was what helped me finally make a decision (I, too, was waffling between tile and HW).
I have no idea to be honest. I have laminate right now and not the good stuff either. I am leaning toward a darker greyish color that i think would go well with the new cherry colored cabinets and stainless appliances.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
What did you end up going with?

Old 03-09-2016, 05:24 PM

913 posts, read 885,767 times
I would never put tile in a kitchen again. It is cold and anything you drop shatters. And don't even get me started on the grout lines and keeping them super clean.
I have hardwoods now in the kitchen and love it.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The problem with tile is that it is an absolute KILLER for feet / knees/ back / shoulders. Really makes it unpleasant to do things like simple prep / clean-up unless you invest in cushiony mats for each of the areas where you're likely to stand in the kitchen. Even then, drop ANYTHING that is at all fragile and be prepared to pick-up shards of glass / ceramic for days...

Modern hardwood floor finishes are very forgiving toward any of the common spills in a kitchen. If have a true "flood" like from a failed water connection it is very likely that the subfloor will be damaged even with tile as a finish floor...
Yes. I would never want tile on a floor where I stood for long periods every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating