Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 12:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
you are all right, I do need to declutter. The place looks better after decluttering but I often find it doesn't have a character. It just looks plain/empty. So I add things and then it looks cluttered again.

I always have hard time letting go but I don't have much problem putting things in box (out of site, out of mind). Luckily I have few storage space where I can tuck things away for half year. As the weather is getting warmer, I took on a mission last weekend to put away heavy winter clothes & take out spring/summer clothes while keeping few in between items. I filled up a luggage with my out of season clothes while my husband simply discarded 80% of his winter clothes. I need to get in that mindset of discarding and buying new instead of saving 3 different size outfits for when I lose weight.

But my main problem after this realization of me being a dreamer is:
1) even if I get my perfect house someday will I be a slob and make mess of that house. I have friends who are messy and regardless of how big there house is, it is still messy. Then there are people with simple place but beautifully organized.
2) When I de-clutter the place is bla, when I add things on its cluttered. how do I find that balance?

I am going to start with one room. Which is the best room to start: bedroom? bathroom? living? or the other room. I want to color coordinate too
Start with the room that you feel is doable. List ways you could improve it. Or list how you want to use it, and then list ways to improve it. Choose things that are doable and affordable. And proceed, step by step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 05:58 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
No matter how much we declutter, a real home that people live in will seldom look like a glossy home decor magazine.

Example: the kitchen counters. Mine has a microwave sitting on it, a blender, an electric kettle, a toaster... why is it that these appliances are never in view in decor magazines? It's funny... flip through dozens of kitchen decor photos, you won't see these items on the kitchen counters. You'll see a pretty vase of fresh flowers, though. And a bowl piled high with more lemons or oranges than a family could eat in a month. Nothing else, though. So... trying to recreate the magazine look will always be a little disappointing, because "real life" leaves things just a little messy.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:15 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
No matter how much we declutter, a real home that people live in will seldom look like a glossy home decor magazine.

Example: the kitchen counters. Mine has a microwave sitting on it, a blender, an electric kettle, a toaster... why is it that these appliances are never in view in decor magazines? It's funny... flip through dozens of kitchen decor photos, you won't see these items on the kitchen counters. You'll see a pretty vase of fresh flowers, though. And a bowl piled high with more lemons or oranges than a family could eat in a month. Nothing else, though. So... trying to recreate the magazine look will always be a little disappointing, because "real life" leaves things just a little messy.
Whenever I see these things on HGTV, my first thought is, "that fruit is going to rot," or "those flowers will die in two days." Those things they do to stage and decorate homes are for the extreme short term. And those places where the dining room table is always set with full service for 6 people? Yeah, for the two times a year I have people over.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:32 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:

Example: the kitchen counters. Mine has a microwave sitting on it, a blender, an electric kettle, a toaster... why is it that these appliances are never in view in decor magazines?
None of those items are on my counter.
The MW is above the stove, we do not own an electric kettle, the blender and toaster are in the cabinets as they are used less than once a week.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Yeah, for the two times a year I have people over.
Not everyone entertains so infrequently...

Old 04-01-2016, 06:46 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Hate to be Debbie Downer in this discussion, but, by your own description, you are not a neat person. You either are or aren't and have yet to see it as a learned behavior. I'm a neat freak, I don't have a lot of tchotchkes around and my house while not what I would consider "company ready", it always looks presentable. My kitchen is the hub of the house and every morning after breakfast, the kitchen is cleaned up and the "landing zone" is cleared of all things that have found a home there. I personally don't like clutter and don't function well in disarray, but, you have to work with what works for you.

My mother used to clean the house from top down whenever we would go away. She would wash the floors and change the beds and I never understood it. My sister and I used to laugh at her and say "mom, do you think someone is going to come here and have a party while we are away." She would smile and say, "it is always nice to come home to a clean house." We both, follow that advice today.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:31 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
2) When I de-clutter the place is bla, when I add things on its cluttered. how do I find that balance?
Hire a designer for a couple of hours; explain the aesthetic you're going for (minimalist/zen/pop of color). Declutter first and then have the designer come over so they can see it in its blah state and give you a few ideas for keeping it decluttered but more interesting visually. My guess is you probably need 2-3 bigger things changed around/replaced and a handful of smaller things added in to give you the oomph that you're looking for.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

My mother used to clean the house from top down whenever we would go away. She would wash the floors and change the beds and I never understood it. My sister and I used to laugh at her and say "mom, do you think someone is going to come here and have a party while we are away." She would smile and say, "it is always nice to come home to a clean house." We both, follow that advice today.
As do I!

It IS nice to come home to a clean house.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:21 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
None of those items are on my counter.
The MW is above the stove, we do not own an electric kettle, the blender and toaster are in the cabinets as they are used less than once a week.
I actually use my appliances daily so it's practical to have them out. My kitchen really needs to be functional for me, not just look like a magazine photo. The electric kettle, toaster and microwave are used daily by me. The kettle 2x/day, often the others as well.

It'd be nice to put the microwave under a cabinet... over the stove is too high IMO to be very practical, too high to reach for hot food. I'd rather not risk spilling. It's more practical to have it lower. A cart would be a handy alternative but I don't have the space to add one.

Another decor peeve of mine: countertops in materials that are easily stained (by red wine, acidic foods, etc.). These are an innovation for people who don't actually use their kitchens to prepare food.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I actually use my appliances daily so it's practical to have them out. My kitchen really needs to be functional for me, not just look like a magazine photo. The electric kettle, toaster and microwave are used daily by me. The kettle 2x/day, often the others as well.
Yes, it does.
But "functional to me" means something different to everyone.

And it has nothing to do with looking like a magazine photo.
Some people - myself included - just don't keep lots of things on their countertops.... especially things that are not in daily use.

So your question of "why is it that these appliances are never in view in decor magazines?" may be answered with "because not everyone uses those appliances".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating