Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 03:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,973,040 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this will replace stainless, but I really do like the looks of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 10:18 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,058,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Anything is better than stainless. It's so cold looking. Like living in a meat locker. I think the black looks nice.

I have yet to see a kitchen where stainless steel was the only, or even primary, material in the room.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:59 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,569,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I don't think anything will ever "replace" stainless steel for one reason: It is the standard in commercial kitchens.

That's what made SS the huge hit that it became. Anyone who remembers the first residential Viking ranges and how revolutionary - and coveted - they were will understand why stainless will always be the standard.

Its use in home kitchens signaled the time when home cooks could look AND feel like they were pros, and it elevated the kitchen to a room deserving of luxury finishes.

Other finishes will come and go, but I don't think stainless will ever be totally "out."

I love my SS appliances, we gutted our kitchen down to the studs 6 years ago, we bought high end SS, so far love it and clean up super easy, just wipe down and still looks brand new. I cook & bake daily. So I'm sold..

Still I think folks should get what they like, because your way not wrong for you!

Old 04-05-2016, 03:29 PM

10,314 posts, read 7,901,614 times
I don't that that black matte stainless steel is going to replace traditional stainless steel, but the appliances in those pictures look wonderful! I'd put them in my kitchen in a heartbeat.

(But what do I know? I like bisque, too.)

Old 04-06-2016, 07:40 PM

17,678 posts, read 29,607,847 times
" Will this finally be the stainless steel replacement?"
Cf. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bett...w_of_headlines

Old 05-21-2016, 05:32 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,811,504 times
I love the GE Slate appliances, and just bought a complete set for my kitchen. They haven't been delivered yet but I will post pictures when after delivery.

I have had white appliances forever and just wanted a change. I never really wanted SS appliances, I work in the medical field and they always look sterile, cold and clinical to me.

I found out that Goodwill will come and pick up my current appliances which makes me feel better about getting rid of perfectly good and fairly new appliances just because I want to update my kitchen.

I had been checking out the slate appliances for a few years but it seemed that Home Depot was the only store that carried the full line. Now all the major appliance stores and as well as Lowes, etc are carrying them. Even JC Penney carries GE Slate appliances now.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:09 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,278,867 times
Nice, but if I had my druthers, Big Chill is what I'd put in my kitchen. Thinking cherry red would be just perfect.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:26 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,644,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Anything is better than stainless. It's so cold looking. Like living in a meat locker. I think the black looks nice.
reminds me of going to the doctor why I never want it.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:01 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,811,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
reminds me of going to the doctor why I never want it.
Lol, stainless steel appliances always make me think of the freezers in a hospital morgue. I've worked in two hospitals and I don't want that look in my kitchen.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:14 PM

18,371 posts, read 31,475,415 times
remember a while back they introduced the "rubbed oiled bronze" appliances made by jennair?

I thought they were pretty, (reminded me of coppertone, and I still like that), but they didnt really go over too well..........................

this black slate, i like it, its pretty...................but it might not be for everyone...

https://www.google.com/search?q=jenn...BqHljmUc57M%3A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating