Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 03:19 AM

119 posts, read 105,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
Sure here's a close up before we installed the hood and stove and I had to special order a thicker stainless steel trim for it as it sticks out a 1/4 inch from the subway tile. I like the 3D effect. I went with a lighter grout color, but it hadn't dried in time, so it still looks dark in the up close pic. A pic with stove and hood in there as well. My cabinet hardware is still not on the pic, nor is all the trim up yet, but at least you can see the tile. Holes in the wall are for the electrical outlet plates that haven't been installed yet. I interviewed a few tile contractors because this tile is delicate and chips easily, and requires a special sealer. However, once it's in, it's durable and cleanable once you get the right sealer. I ordered from a company called vseal, their nanosealer for this tile. The grout lines should be 1/16th an inch apart, unlike the subway tile, which is 1/8 an inch apart. This is to maintain the pattern well.

My kitchen is transitional.
OT - twodoor2: I LOVE your backsplash!!! I've been shopping for a new backsplash for years, and I think I've found it! Fantastic. THANK YOU! (Especially for the close up and info on the trim around the oven's backsplash - that it is the kind of detail that is so hard to figure out, and yours is just great.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 09:25 AM

914 posts, read 1,137,610 times
Thanks, I spent a long time researching this tile, and how to deal with the thicker edge. It's 5/8 of an inch thick and normal tile is usually 3/8 of an inch thick. This required a 3/4 inch schluter edge piece in stainless steel which had to be special ordered. I didn't know this, and no one had it! You can't find it in a big box store, but you need a specialty tile store to order it for you. You could also do a 3/4 thick bull nose, but if you have a narrow 30" opening as I did, I would recommend the more streamlined edge. I also had extra framing put up, and then I was worried about installing the range hood over it, but that worked out fine. Just make sure you have a tile contractor that is very experienced, and doesn't mind a micro manager, and get proper sealer for this tile, as it is porous, and the sealer is important!! Drying time between the sealing is very important too!

I tell you, kitchen remodeling is not fun!! I suppose I could have put subway tile all the way behind the range hood, but I wanted something a little different, and attractive by the range. I think it would have been overkill and too busy if I put that patterned tile everywhere as well.

Here is my inspiration photo, although I couldn't get that busy with color. I prefer to add color in the form of vases, cookie jars, and other decorative objects. Glass tiles are nice too, but I had them in my last home, with stainless steel pieces, and I wanted something different.

http://www.cementtileshop.com/blog/w...k-Random-2.jpg

Old 05-01-2016, 09:41 AM

914 posts, read 1,137,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgrfr View Post
Kitchen backsplash tile - my wife likes a glass and metal tile called "arcadia bonsai tint". You know the type with long pencil thin lines. If anyone has a backsplash like this I would love to know if cleaning this type of tile of the grime and grease found around a kitchen presents more of a challenge than a subway type tile. In other words is it practical.

At present we have black granite counter top with four inch black granite back and painted above.

Thanks
To get back on topic, I did have similar tile in my last home, and I think you just need to find the best rated sealer out there. I'm not sure what that is, but I got incredible recommendations for the sealer sold at "The Tile Shop." Not sure if there's one around you. I would also be careful about putting splattering types of cookware and cooking methods (stir fry for example) along the back burners. It's mainly the grout you have to worry about, and that goes for any kind of grout installation tile, including subway. If you're installing a porous tile with stone or cement, you need to worry about that too, but the actual glass or ceramic/porcelain should clean up fine, as well as the stainless steel. Try not to use a white bright grout either. If you need to go lighter, than do a light gray.

The most practical tile is full glass sheet backsplash, with no grout lines, but this kind of backsplash might not be your cup of tea as it's often for very modern or transitional types of kitchens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating