Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 04:22 PM

268 posts, read 176,773 times

Advertisements

Hey guys just need some expert advice if it's not too much trouble to ask. Finally finishing up decorating my 1 bedroom co-op and I have this big blank wall in between my dining room table and the walk path that goes towards my bedroom. I decided to put a "window mirror" up with a nice shelf below it and will eventually be adding some nick nacks/plants on the shelf to give it a nicer feel. Photo is attached.

My only real concern and question is, is there a protocol in interior designing where these 'floating shelves' are only supposed to be hung above chairs/desks/couches?? Seems that way from most of the photos i've looked at online. Again, this shelf (with mirror above) is pretty much right smack in the middle of the apartment on the wall. It seems to look ok but I'll be the first to admit it would probably look a little nicer with a chair below it, although there is no room for that.

Thanks in advance everyone!!
Attached Thumbnails
Mirror/Shelf in middle of apartment??-mirror.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 04:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
That is a general rule of thumb. I think a really large work of art can hang on a blank wall (just my opinion). I don't like where you have hung your shelf. It doesn't add anything to the space and it doesn't relate to anything around it. I think you must sense that it is just floating there, and that is why you are asking about it. Yes, your instinct is correct, if that is the case.

What is the shelf supposed to do? it isn't really good for using as a mirror, and it doesn't provide a very big shelf. I don't like making a space for knick knacks; I think displaying things you love and collect is the best way to add that kind of flair to your home.

I'd buy a big piece of art that you absolutely love, even if it is a print, and hang that. You'll add color and personality to your home. If you want to float it on that wall, go big.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:04 PM

Well to all who do end up thinking I should remove the shelf, would this be a good spot for the just the window mirror alone? Perhaps a little something on each side of the mirror so it doesn't look so bare on this big wall could work?

Last edited by LI7788; 06-26-2016 at 05:23 PM..

Old 06-26-2016, 06:24 PM

61,638 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Yeah, I would rather hang on a large picture or large mirror instead. Or place a bookshelf, or credenza/sideboard with large mirror/art above.
http://www.tianyunjixie.com/wp-conte...eenbrae-ca.jpg
Or place a curio cabinet:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...c6ca050e95.jpg
Or a mini bar:
http://photo.foter.com/photos/pi/249...ffet-table.jpg
http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/produc...5f1945_600.jpg

BTW: I would like to see the whole wall.
Can you post a pic?

Last edited by elnina; 06-26-2016 at 07:55 PM..

Old 06-26-2016, 06:45 PM

I spent almost $100 on that mirror so I'd like to keep it. Here is the wall..

Old 06-26-2016, 06:48 PM

Photo
Attached Thumbnails
Mirror/Shelf in middle of apartment??-image.png  

Old 06-26-2016, 07:46 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,279 times
If you like it keep it. I would probably check flea markets, second hand stores for small mirrors place them around it. Turn it into a collection display - a smaller version of this would be nice and could be fun scouring places to find just the right mirrors. Remember you don't need to have your place "finished" all at once. One of the joys of decorating is watching your design grow over time.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirror/Shelf in middle of apartment??-mirrors-if-you-want-create-collection.jpg  

Old 06-26-2016, 08:06 PM

61,638 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Well, if you want to keep the mirror, then remove the shelf and place something underneath: a credenza/buffet/bar - as I suggested in post #4, then you can float the shelf in the middle of the space in between, and put some knick-knacks on it.
There is too much of an empty space under the window-mirror...

Old 06-27-2016, 05:19 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
The reason you don't want a shelf floating like that in the room is that you might walk by and knock into it, or worse, poke yourself in the cheek or eye. With a narrow piece of furniture under it like a little book case or console table it would prevent this.

It is a cute little mirror and shelf. Perhaps a small book case (7-9 inches deep?) would work there. You could put something heavy on the bottom shelf (books?) to stabilize the book case and then have picture frames or other decor on the upper shelf(s).

Old 06-27-2016, 05:26 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
The mirror is too small for that space. You either need a larger one, or you need to 'anchor' it. That is, you need something underneath it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating