Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 04:00 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,447,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I think many people in the area where I live would consider that to be trespassing.
To be honest, maybe I have misrepresented how the flocking is achieved legally or ethically or whatever, and I would personally not want them in my yard nor would I have them put in anyone's else's ...however, I was just responding about flamingo decor. I did find this:

http://www.fundraising-ideas.org/DIY/flamingo

Sounds like frat humor brought into the mainstream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 04:00 PM

12,643 posts, read 8,862,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The Formica counter in my house is older than I am. I'm 41.

Just some points to ponder. Older countertops were better made. Those in my parents kitchen for example stayed pretty good for about 50 years. On the other hand, the ones put in our new house in 2001 lasted about 7 years. Substrate started crumbling and fell apart. Quality isn't the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
I hate white kitchen cabinets! Unless you're a fastidious housekeeper, I imagine they'd show every little smudge. Plus they're boring, although I get the point about them working best in a very small kitchen. What really gets me are people who paint over gorgeous real wood cabinets (like 80's/90's oak) just because white is "in". Give me the wood look any day.

I would agree on gorgeous real wood, but most of that 80s/90s oak is pretty crappy looking. Low end red oak, often really just rotary peeled ply which creates wild, open pored grain, stained with either cheap "golden oak" or some really dark color, looks just what it is, cheap. Now QSWO done right can look great. And cherry and walnut are beautiful. But the 80/90s oak we have all over the house? I'd paint it just to hid it from view.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:24 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,123,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I'm not a fan either. I think they would be hard to clean, and probably prone to chipping.
They're awkward to use, at least I think so. Plus they're always dusty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Just some points to ponder. Older countertops were better made. Those in my parents kitchen for example stayed pretty good for about 50 years. On the other hand, the ones put in our new house in 2001 lasted about 7 years. Substrate started crumbling and fell apart. Quality isn't the same.
Probably true. I won't be replacing my Formica with new Formica/laminate. Quartz or bust!

Old 07-27-2016, 06:00 AM

914 posts, read 1,129,046 times
Barn doors that look like real barn doors with reclaimed water wood. I like the idea of a sliding door with a roller mechanism on top, but not when it looks like it belongs in front of a chicken coup.

Rustic modern or French Country annoys me as well. I don't like reclaimed wood either, as it looks nasty and dirty to me, and stop putting it on walls!!! The 70s are over and wood paneling is gone with it for a reason.

As for all the negative comments on grey paint, I hate beige and brown, so I used gray on my walls. I think specific colors should be used as accent walls.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:08 AM

914 posts, read 1,129,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I hate everything she says and does. And since she's based in Waco 100 miles south of here, that style is really taking over with the wispy-voiced super-sibilant millennial wives taking over my neighborhood. Greige and crap made out of plumbing fixtures for daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaays.

The Formica counter in my house is older than I am. I'm 41.

You can just about get away with barn stars around here (Texas), but the other stuff makes my teeth hurt and o-ring itch. I loathe decor containing imperatives like "Live Laugh Love" or "Eat". I also hate it when people name the rooms with cutesy-poo signs (as in "Laundry" over the laundry room). There's this one chick in my neighborhood who went wild with those signs. There's actually a sign in the bathroom telling you to wash your hands and brush your teeth. I was half-tempted to ask her if it was OK if I borrowed her brush. It's a good thing the sign didn't say anything about stomping on flowers or kicking kittens.

I also hate the boasty "gallery walls" with Instagrammy floaty dreamy pictures of the cutesy-poo engagement, the cutesy-poo wedding, the cutesy-poo pregnancy announcement, the cutesy-poo pregnancy photos, the cutesy-poo baby pictures, the obligatory "world's best daddy" frame somewhere in the mix....ugh. Eff all that.

I disagree with just about everything else you said, but I like subway tile too.

Re-reading these comments just made me realize something...I might just be a self-hating white person. I wonder if there's a 12-step group for that. And none of my black girlfriends decorate their houses like that.

Amen to all you said, and those cutesy signs annoy the hell out of me.

I also hate burgundy red paint, which comes to mind in most of the homes with those cutesy signs.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:56 AM

13,437 posts, read 15,369,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Probably your guests share their taste in decorating with you so they wouldn't think anything about your signs and cutesy photos.

I can find my kitchen just fine without a "kitchen" sign telling me where it is. And my guests can probably figure it out themselves when they observe the appliances, sink and counters.
I doubt they share my decorating taste. The chance of all guests sharing the same taste as mine is probably low. In fact, I don't know what their decorating taste is. If they think anything, they keep it to themselves because it's not like I'm gonna change anything and they don't live there.

And of course people can find the kitchen, or the bathroom, or the laundry without the signs. Haha...do the signs really serve any purpose other than decorative? I have the kitchen sign because...I like it

Last edited by riaelise; 07-27-2016 at 09:44 AM..

Old 07-27-2016, 08:59 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,363,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I'd be in favor of painting old oak kitchen cabs, if they were worth the trouble. I got so sick of oak cabs! And the oak that was used in so many of them wasn't that great looking to begin with.

Younger people tend to go for the painted finishes, I think. Probably they want the opposite of what they grew up with. But oak in a kitchen is not a look I want for myself. I've been there and done that.
Wow, same here - been there, done that. When we bought our home that was built in 1996, the first thing we did was paint those oak kitchen cabinets! (Among other kitchen upgrades.)

Oh and we put in a subway tile backsplash too - LOL. And I put the words "Carpe Diem" above my kitchen sink. And I have a wooden sign that says "vino" propped up on a cabinet. And we have stainless steel appliances and soapstone countertops and magnets on the fridge and stuff on top of the cabinets. Maybe people run screaming from my house, I don't know - but I live here and I love it.

Before and after:

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 07:17 AM..

Old 07-27-2016, 12:31 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,058,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, same here - been there, done that. When we bought our home that was built in 1996, the first thing we did was paint those oak kitchen cabinets! (Among other kitchen upgrades.)

Oh and we put in a subway tile backsplash too - LOL. And I put the words "Carpe Diem" above my kitchen sink. And I have a wooden sign that says "vino" propped up on a cabinet. And we have stainless steel appliances and soapstone countertops and magnets on the fridge and stuff on top of the cabinets. Maybe people run screaming from my house, I don't know - but I live here and I love it.

Before and after:

I prefer your kitchen the way it is now, vs the before. And I find people that ***** about other people's decorating taste to be the tacky ones. Sorry to anyone out there that's doing that.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,973,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

I would agree on gorgeous real wood, but most of that 80s/90s oak is pretty crappy looking. Low end red oak, often really just rotary peeled ply which creates wild, open pored grain, stained with either cheap "golden oak" or some really dark color, looks just what it is, cheap. Now QSWO done right can look great. And cherry and walnut are beautiful. But the 80/90s oak we have all over the house? I'd paint it just to hid it from view.
I presume QSWO is quarter sawn white oak? Wasn't that stuff veneer? Or the stuff meant for ordinary folks to buy? I do agree that the older oak can be handsome, although I don't know if I would want an entire kitchen done in that, but I question where you are going to get quarter sawn white oak nowadays.

I do agree that the oak stuff, particularly the stuff that was put out as the trend for oak continued, is often ugly. I had oak in the 1980s that didn't look horrible, but I don't want it now. This is a trend that needs to be laid to rest. And I don't think that painted cabs are necessarily bad.

I also don't think that all white kitchens look sterile. I also like the lower cabs painted gray or gray blue, and the uppers painted white. That's the thing: there are so many options, we can all be pleased.

But yeah, I was tired of oak 15 years ago.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:55 PM

555 posts, read 591,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Before and after:
Your kitchen (with the painted oak cabinets) looks marvelous. But I think just getting rid of the wallpaper and changing out the countertops would've still made a huge difference, even with the original oak cabinets.

I just happen to love the warm look of wood, so as dated as my oak cabinets are, they're staying.

And speaking of things that aren't "in", I have a distressed red brick fireplace that is floor-to-ceiling (at the "^" point of my cathedral ceiling in my greatroom) and there's no way it's getting painted white (or any other color!)

Oh, and I'm not dissing anyone else's decorating tastes... Just stating my preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating