Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 12:15 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times

Advertisements

I have a stainless steel sink but I don't want to see anything else stainless steel anywhere else in my kitchen or house. Stainless steel makes your home look like a science lab. I am using white for all appliances now. I have been through many different colors and none of them last. White's a keeper.

Get rid of those dark cabinets too. Toothpaste or kitchen splashes really show up on dark cabinets. I prefer white cabinets too. Color can be added in other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 02:41 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I can't stand giant kitchen islands (or any islands for that matter). They just seem to keep getting bigger until they take over an entire room. I went to a party a beautiful new ultra modern house recently and the island was about 4' x 18'. It was ridiculous. The kitchen took up more room than the dining room or the living room (basically 2/3 of the main level). Everyone ended up on the patio or the rooftop.
I can't see a giant kitchen - island or not. Too hard to keep clean/tidy (if I had a mile of linear counter space - I'd probably get every inch of it dirty when I'm cooking - having a more limited amount forces me to clean up as I go along). A large kitchen is hard to cook in as well. I do like a dining area next to the kitchen - but it can be separated from the kitchen/cooking area (and with something less imposing than a wall). Robyn

Old 08-07-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
...Carpeting and anything high maintenance. After what I'm going through fixing a 1940s house for sale, I don't want to be enslaved again by maintenance.
I'm with you when it comes to high maintenance - but I don't necessarily agree that carpet is high maintenance. We redid all our floor coverings a couple of years ago. We replaced our wall to wall (wool) carpet (which did look kind of worn after about 20 years) with high end commercial carpet tiles. This stuff:

https://www.tandus-centiva.com/products/Spun-03656

Wears like iron - and is basically no maintenance (except for once a week vacuuming). And - if you stain an area (you'll need more than a little wine or spaghetti sauce - the stuff is treated to be stain resistant - it would be more like if your dog had an "accident") - you just rip up a tile (or two) and replace with a new one (since we don't have pets - that hasn't been an issue for us yet). It is for sure a modern/industrial look that isn't everyone's cup of tea. But we really like it.

Two things. The good. We were surprised that the seams don't show at all (we picked a heather gray pattern - and I think the company makes sure all the patterns match from tile to tile). The bad. The stuff is really expensive. About what you'd spend per yard for a high quality wool carpet. Still - both will last you at least a decade - and probably closer to two decades. Doesn't make sense if you're planning to move in 5 years - but makes sense if you don't think you're going anywhere anytime soon. Robyn

Old 08-07-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have a stainless steel sink but I don't want to see anything else stainless steel anywhere else in my kitchen or house. Stainless steel makes your home look like a science lab. I am using white for all appliances now. I have been through many different colors and none of them last. White's a keeper.

Get rid of those dark cabinets too. Toothpaste or kitchen splashes really show up on dark cabinets. I prefer white cabinets too. Color can be added in other places.
I'm with you. I like an all white kitchen. With black floors . My biggest complaint about stainless is it shows fingerprints (some stainless finishes more - some less). I've been doing white kitchens with black floors for a while now (3 kitchens in 3 different places over the course of 30+ years ). And really don't get tired of the look.

OTOH - I can appreciate that some peoples' tastes are different than mine (and yours). I think you should always do what *you* like. Not what's in fashion. Not what you think other people - especially buyers - might like 5-10-15-20 years down the road. What YOU like now. Living in your own house. That's what it means to own a house. That you can do whatever makes you happy (as long as you can afford it). Robyn

Old 08-07-2016, 10:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I can't see a giant kitchen - island or not. Too hard to keep clean/tidy (if I had a mile of linear counter space - I'd probably get every inch of it dirty when I'm cooking - having a more limited amount forces me to clean up as I go along). A large kitchen is hard to cook in as well. I do like a dining area next to the kitchen - but it can be separated from the kitchen/cooking area (and with something less imposing than a wall). Robyn
I have a large kitchen that contains a laaarge island for food prep. I have a few issues with the kitchen layout, but as I use the island continually, I have found that it is pretty easy to do food prep. There are a few problems with carrying a water filled pot to the cooktop, but overall it works well for me. I would have designed the kitchen differently. But the large island is wonderful. It is the best work area I've ever had. I would have designed the island with better thought out storage though.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:15 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I'm with you. I like an all white kitchen. With black floors . My biggest complaint about stainless is it shows fingerprints (some stainless finishes more - some less). I've been doing white kitchens with black floors for a while now (3 kitchens in 3 different places over the course of 30+ years ). And really don't get tired of the look.

OTOH - I can appreciate that some peoples' tastes are different than mine (and yours). I think you should always do what *you* like. Not what's in fashion. Not what you think other people - especially buyers - might like 5-10-15-20 years down the road. What YOU like now. Living in your own house. That's what it means to own a house. That you can do whatever makes you happy (as long as you can afford it). Robyn
So you are saying that you haven't had stainless appliances for over 30 years, yet you know that they show fingerprints?

I've had stainless appliances for the past 10+ years and they show less dirt, dust and fingerprints than black appliances and about the same as white. In other words, they show some dirt when they are dirty, otherwise they look fine.

That's not to say that people shouldn't choose what they prefer, and obviously, some people don't like the look of stainless. But it's silly for people who have never even owned stainless appliances any time this millennium to repeat the same incorrect information.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:11 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:

Lol - almost exactly what I was going to post. I detest stainless steel appliances but not as much as I can't stand all those dark cabinets.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
So you are saying that you haven't had stainless appliances for over 30 years, yet you know that they show fingerprints?

I've had stainless appliances for the past 10+ years and they show less dirt, dust and fingerprints than black appliances and about the same as white. In other words, they show some dirt when they are dirty, otherwise they look fine.

That's not to say that people shouldn't choose what they prefer, and obviously, some people don't like the look of stainless. But it's silly for people who have never even owned stainless appliances any time this millennium to repeat the same incorrect information.
I only have a few (small) stainless appliances and they show fingerprints (they're actually pretty awful when it comes to this). When I was shopping for the refrigerator I bought a couple of years ago - I gave the stainless models the "fingerprint" test. Some were better than others in terms of resisting fingerprints - but none was perfect. The ones that were the best really didn't look like metal at all. It's kind of hard to explain - but they looked more like stainless colored plastic than metal.

I think one issue that enters into this apart from personal preferences is matching appliances when you start having to replace them. Because they usually have to be replaced at different times. I think white is easier to match than stainless. Especially because stainless finishes tend to change over the years.

FWIW - I agree with you about black - especially if you're talking about a glossy black and dust. Robyn

Old 08-09-2016, 09:31 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:
I have a stainless steel sink but I don't want to see anything else stainless steel anywhere else in my kitchen or house. Stainless steel makes your home look like a science lab.
Really? Does my tiny little kitchen look like a science lab?

I like stainless vs white, as it picks up by reflection the color tones in the kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
If I Never See This Decor or Design Choice Again, or Please, No more…..-img_1273.jpg  

Old 08-09-2016, 10:24 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
I don't mind stainless and I like the way it looks with brown cabinets, but if I were to design a kitchen from scratch, there wouldn't be any brown and the appliances may or may not be stainless. What I really dislike is how all the kitchens in new homes look the same. Same brown cabinets, same stainless appliances, same granite that you see everywhere. I love looking at real estate sites and some of my favorite homes are from the '80's with homey kitchens and white appliances. Smudges on my own stainless appliances don't bother me but I miss being able to put magnets on my fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating