Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2016, 08:53 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I'm with you when it comes to high maintenance - but I don't necessarily agree that carpet is high maintenance. We redid all our floor coverings a couple of years ago. We replaced our wall to wall (wool) carpet (which did look kind of worn after about 20 years) with high end commercial carpet tiles. This stuff:

https://www.tandus-centiva.com/products/Spun-03656

Wears like iron - and is basically no maintenance (except for once a week vacuuming). And - if you stain an area (you'll need more than a little wine or spaghetti sauce - the stuff is treated to be stain resistant - it would be more like if your dog had an "accident") - you just rip up a tile (or two) and replace with a new one (since we don't have pets - that hasn't been an issue for us yet). It is for sure a modern/industrial look that isn't everyone's cup of tea. But we really like it.

Two things. The good. We were surprised that the seams don't show at all (we picked a heather gray pattern - and I think the company makes sure all the patterns match from tile to tile). The bad. The stuff is really expensive. About what you'd spend per yard for a high quality wool carpet. Still - both will last you at least a decade - and probably closer to two decades. Doesn't make sense if you're planning to move in 5 years - but makes sense if you don't think you're going anywhere anytime soon. Robyn
You can see the seams in this picture...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Really? Does my tiny little kitchen look like a science lab?

I like stainless vs white, as it picks up by reflection the color tones in the kitchen.
Aww...that's a sweet little kitchen. I love it, and, no, it doesn't look like any science lab I've ever seen.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I don't mind stainless and I like the way it looks with brown cabinets, but if I were to design a kitchen from scratch, there wouldn't be any brown and the appliances may or may not be stainless. What I really dislike is how all the kitchens in new homes look the same. Same brown cabinets, same stainless appliances, same granite that you see everywhere. I love looking at real estate sites and some of my favorite homes are from the '80's with homey kitchens and white appliances. Smudges on my own stainless appliances don't bother me but I miss being able to put magnets on my fridge.
I love my stainless and brown cabinets! I also have dark granite and it all comes together beautifully. Simple, easy to clean...I need to take a photograph.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I don't mind stainless and I like the way it looks with brown cabinets, but if I were to design a kitchen from scratch, there wouldn't be any brown and the appliances may or may not be stainless. What I really dislike is how all the kitchens in new homes look the same. Same brown cabinets, same stainless appliances, same granite that you see everywhere. I love looking at real estate sites and some of my favorite homes are from the '80's with homey kitchens and white appliances. Smudges on my own stainless appliances don't bother me but I miss being able to put magnets on my fridge.
I have an extensive collection of magnets from my travels and have found a new home for them...the smart panel door is metal and is located in my laundry room.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:06 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Lately I'm seeing this trend where people cover their windows with shades and add curtains over them. Why the deep cover? Are you a spy? It's a very cluttered, fussy and dusty look.

I prefer shades or blinds instead of curtains anyway.
We have blinds with floor to ceiling black out drapes in the master bedroom - because we like to sleep in absolute darkness. If we didn't have the blinds - the Florida sun would eat up the drapes in no time. Robyn

Old 08-13-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
You can see the seams in this picture...
Yes you can. But not in our house. Must have something to do with the installers/installation. The outfit we used did the Mayo Clinic here in carpet tiles (it's done lots of other large jobs as well). You'd be hard pressed to find any visible seams at Mayo. So - although our installer didn't guarantee "no visible seams" - we were pretty sure the end result would be to our liking. And it is.

Another factor was that our carpet tiles have a "heather" design. Although it looks random - the computer generated pattern matches perfectly tile to tile. I think the results would be less satisfactory if we were using a solid color (just about all the carpet tiles at Mayo have patterns too). Finally - there's a reasonable amount of professional surface prep required for a good installation. Much much more than you see in an average DIY carpet tile project. In other words - you have to spend a fair amount of money - especially when it comes to installation - to get good results.

BTW - one of the best parts of the installation is we didn't have to move all our furniture from room to room. Just from one side of the room to the other side - and then back again. We have a fair amount of large/heavy/modular furniture and it would have been a real PITA moving it around the house to install new wall to wall carpet. Robyn

Old 08-13-2016, 06:04 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
We replaced our wall to wall (wool) carpet...with high end commercial carpet tiles. This stuff:

https://www.tandus-centiva.com/products/Spun-03656
Interesting! Have never had any luck with carpet, but this is a great idea. We ripped up all our carpet years ago and put in hardwood floors....could not keep any color of carpet clean, but your idea is worth looking into.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:06 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
I love subway tiles and I doubt they'll ever go out of style. After 100+ years they're still in style in the subway.
But this is why I don't care for them....it looks like a sandwich shop. I can't understand the appeal.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I love your kitchen also,

and while i hate ALL refridgerators, (including mine) because in my mind they are all just ugly, yours is barley even noticibile because of its placement in the kitchen and that to me is a big plus!!!!!

mine is also in a corner so when you first walk into my kitchen you would have to do a "Exorcist" type of head turn to see it.....unfortunetley when i sit at my table, i do have to see it
Yes, they are behemoths but just think if we didn't have them. We'd have to have root cellars or something and that would pretty much suck.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, they are behemoths but just think if we didn't have them. We'd have to have root cellars or something and that would pretty much suck.
I love the behemoth I bought a couple of years ago. I think it's something like 28 cubic feet. French doors on top. Freezer compartment with 3 drawers on the bottom. And a pull out refrigerator drawer in the middle. It's the equivalent of a cold walk-in pantry for me . I think it's this model (now discontinued).

Whirlpool Refrigerator Brand: WRX988SIBW French Door Refrigerator

It's not "in your face" when you're in our dining area that is open to the kitchen (it's on a "side wall" - not an "opposite wall"). But - even if it was - I wouldn't mind. It's not any more offensive than the wall ovens that *are* on the opposite wall. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating