Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2016, 05:33 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, the problem is when people overextend themselves, buying bigger houses because they think they NEED two sinks in a master bathroom. And it happens; it's naive to think that it doesn't. That kind of stupidity merits more than just an eyeroll emoticon.
Just because people have a larger house than you doesn't mean they have overextended themselves. There are people out there that make more money than you or have significant equity in a smaller house that they were able to buy a larger house for the same or even lower house payments. I know people that have 900 sq foot houses that have overextended themselves too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 11:24 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
I simply do not see the need for two sinks. I'm a grownup, and as a grownup I am not only capable of waiting my turn. but I also can find things to do while I'm waiting. I can get dressed in the bedroom while the spouse shaves at the sink. He can pack his lunch while I shower. Et cetera. I'm going to need to get dressed and he's going to need to pack his lunch at some point. It's not rocket science.

Unless you're joined at the hip with your spouse and need to be everywhere s/he is at every moment, even the bathroom?
Quote:
Well, the problem is when people overextend themselves, buying bigger houses because they think they NEED two sinks in a master bathroom. And it happens; it's naive to think that it doesn't. That kind of stupidity merits more than just an eyeroll emoticon.
And there are probably things in your house people probably don't see a need for---yet somehow they don't assume that it is stupidity on your part. Do other peoples' preferences have that much of an impact on you?

There are very small houses with double sinks. There are very large houses with single sinks. There are very expensive houses with single sinks and very cheap houses with double sinks.

You don't like it. Fine. That's your personal choice. There is no reason to overextend your attitude and be nasty about it.

I live in a small place. I have one bathroom. There is no master bathroom. There is THE bathroom and it is SMALL. But since we get by, I guess I should think everyone else should only have one bathroom as well. Forget about what they care about doing with their own money!

Old 09-17-2016, 09:57 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,867 times
People used to adapt to what they had. A family learned to cooperate with their surroundings and each other. Growing up, our family of 4 had 1 small bathroom. I don't ever remember waiting my turn. We simply got in there and got out. Things we do in the bathroom today, we did in our bedrooms back then. Makeup and hair styling and dressing was all done in our bedrooms. We used the bathroom for cleaning ourselves, and you-know-what, and we got out. Today that is unacceptable.

DH and I had 1 sink in the first 4 places we lived. Styles changed and the next 2 places had double sinks. I don't think I could go back, but I would if I had to. I would insist that he put all his crappola back in the drawers and not all around his sink!

Personally, I like subway tile, but I am curious about so much grout, is it hard to clean? And I dislike floors with really dark or black grout because I always think it must be dirty and only camouflaged by the color. And all those outdoor kitchens and outdoor furniture with multiple cushions everywhere - isn't that a lot of extra cleaning and how about bugs in the kitchen cabinets outside?

But what I really dislike A LOT is everybody feeling as if they must have every single thing that is promoted on HGTV, regardless of cost or time to install. If it's on TV it's a must.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:16 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,222,191 times
I don't know if it's been mentioned but a deer head hung on the wall.

I'm not opposed to hunting and,yea, it's great you got a 12 point buck. Probably tasted good. But on the wall? no!

Old 09-18-2016, 06:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post

I'm not opposed to hunting and,yea, it's great you got a 12 point buck. Probably tasted good. But on the wall? no!

Right - and let's exclude all taxidermy in that!

Old 09-18-2016, 07:06 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right - and let's exclude all taxidermy in that!
+1

I like seeing taxidermy at museums or sporting goods stores. Fascinating! It's so interesting to see what different varieties of animals look like, that perhaps I have never seen in the wild before. But in my home, I think this sort of display of dead animals might be a little depressing for some reason.

Edited to add: Oh, and as for the double sinks? I live alone and I think it would be fun to have double sinks in the Master bathroom even though there is just one of me (but not fun enough to put up with the construction to have them put in there). I like having a lot of counter space for all my stuff, and I'd imagine that a bathroom with double sinks might have oodles of counter space and maybe an extra large vanity area as well. I would guess that double sinks add to the resale value of a home in my location.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 09-18-2016 at 07:19 AM..

Old 09-18-2016, 07:09 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
The phony country bow-tied country ducks, masses of hanging baskets, "Welcome Friends" signs, and teddy bear motifs of 1980's "country" look. I bought my first home during this highly tacky time period in American "decorating". I went instead with the, almost equally as tacky, mauve carpet everywhere and fake "southwestern" lamps and decorative accents. Ugh. Hurts me to look back at that as much as it hurts me to remember my mother's avocado and orange "mushrooms" kitchen decor in the 1970's.

Is this how shabby chic/vintage/stainless will look to us a few decades from now? Probably so.
When my late H and I bought our first home (a town house), we had to work out our decorating preferences. I liked antiques and he liked sleek modern style, so we "compromised" on Southwestern. We had wall to wall carpet that was supposed to be beige but had a mauve undertone, southwestern paintings and prints, same for bedspreads and curtains, the whole shebang. I was so happy when we changed the whole thing out for cream berber carpet and contemporary style furniture, even though I don't normally like it - it was a real improvement over all that fake-y southwestern crap!

Old 09-18-2016, 07:44 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Still waiting for someone to say what is aesthetically displeasing about double sinks.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:38 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post

I have to admit, it does look cool in a log cabin in the mountains (not in some McMansion suburb). I say this even as I am somewhat against hunting for game.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:18 AM

50,373 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I wasn't sure where to put this, but its sort of pertinent, since there's no thread called, "things that make you go, huh?"

Watching House Hunters Renovation in California. Couple is hoping to find a 3/2 for $1m.
Wife to husband, as she opens the door to a clset with a washer and dryer in it, "Look, Honey, the laundry's INSIDE."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating