Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2017, 04:52 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

I think that the micro over the stove with a "fan" was designed to solve a shortage of space problem. But it usually creates another problem because the exhaust fan is not usually vented to the outside. (Perhaps, there are cases where it is?) So, what you end up with is an ineffective exhaust system over the stove.

The micro over the stove became popular ages ago. When I moved into my last house in 1986, I encountered that setup, and I was familiar with it then, and disliked it. There was no need to set the kitchen up like that; the kitchen was roomy! So, I always thought that doing it with the micro over the stove was a sort of trend.
I read that exhaust fans on the bottom of microwave ovens that are designed to go over a stove, are never as effective as regular exhaust fans. They just don't have as much power.

The stove/microwave configuration also creates a traffic flow issue. It causes a traffic jam if one person is cooking at the stove, and someone else needs to use the microwave. The person at the stove has to move out of the way - sometimes repeatedly.

It makes sense in a small kitchen. But this arrangement is being used mindlessly in too many kitchens. I'm always annoyed when a builder installs a microwave over stove in large kitchens with tons of counter space. The last house I rented had an enormous kitchen with plenty of counter space and a supersized island. Yet, they put the microwave over the stove. The stove was already placed near a corner in the most cramped part of the kitchen. Putting a microwave over it was just adding insult to injury. It added too much activity in one small area, instead of spreading it though out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 07:33 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,022 times
"Farmhouse" design and the chotchkies that say farmhouse, chicken, eggs, when you're in a tract home on a .08 acre lot. Walmart is selling some of that junk now and the people on a board I read are snapping that stuff up like hotcakes. Come on and have some individuality.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:42 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
Farmhouse dining room tables.
I don't see the attraction of eating on a reclaimed barn door.
Some of these designs and what they are charging for wood found at a demolition sight are laughable.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I read that exhaust fans on the bottom of microwave ovens that are designed to go over a stove, are never as effective as regular exhaust fans. They just don't have as much power.

The stove/microwave configuration also creates a traffic flow issue. It causes a traffic jam if one person is cooking at the stove, and someone else needs to use the microwave. The person at the stove has to move out of the way - sometimes repeatedly.

It makes sense in a small kitchen. But this arrangement is being used mindlessly in too many kitchens. I'm always annoyed when a builder installs a microwave over stove in large kitchens with tons of counter space. The last house I rented had an enormous kitchen with plenty of counter space and a supersized island. Yet, they put the microwave over the stove. The stove was already placed near a corner in the most cramped part of the kitchen. Putting a microwave over it was just adding insult to injury. It added too much activity in one small area, instead of spreading it though out.
You and I think alike!

Old 02-20-2017, 12:04 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,255,476 times
My personal dislike is anything that is overly distressed--whether that be furniture, accent pieces, flooring, shades, etc. If it looks like someone found it in a dilapidated barn or the local dump, maybe it's best to leave it there. JMHO.

Last edited by Gretchen963; 02-20-2017 at 12:27 AM..

Old 02-20-2017, 09:53 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I loathe subway tile myself! Far too plain. I much prefer penny rounds and tiny square (or irregular shaped) mosaics.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:56 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post

They are generally not as strong a fan plus a lot of the time, they are not externally vented.

In my new build, I had very limited counter space and no where to put a wall mounted micro except above the stove so I had them add a microwave cabinet to a lower cabinet in my island. It's not ideal having to bend over to get stuff in and out of the micro but still worth it to me to have a decent exhaust fan over the stove.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:44 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

In my new build, I had very limited counter space and no where to put a wall mounted micro except above the stove so I had them add a microwave cabinet to a lower cabinet in my island. It's not ideal having to bend over to get stuff in and out of the micro but still worth it to me to have a decent exhaust fan over the stove.
I would have done the same.

It's only in super small kitchens where you have no choice in the matter. On the other hand, I've rented a couple of houses with small kitchens, that somehow still had adequate counter space.

The current rental is like that. The corners of the counter tops are so deep, they could hold a microwave without compromising work space. There are two large expanses of counter space to work on. But no . . . the microwave is over the damn stove.

I think some houses exist to teach us what we don't want.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:41 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
Barn doors...all that big ugly exposed hardware just turns me off. I cringe every time Joanna Gaines puts one in, and the homeowners go gah-gah over it.

I have two friends who want to put them up in houses right now and I am making every attempt to dissuade them. I actually pointed out to one that when something is sold off the shelf at Lowes the trend has passed...

Old 02-22-2017, 12:40 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
"Farmhouse" design and the chotchkies that say farmhouse, chicken, eggs, when you're in a tract home on a .08 acre lot. Walmart is selling some of that junk now and the people on a board I read are snapping that stuff up like hotcakes. Come on and have some individuality.
lol farmhouse was my style 20 years ago. I like what I like and not changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating