Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 10:05 PM

3,167 posts, read 3,999,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
I don’t think glass/metal media consoles suit a lot of people’s taste. There are tricks to conceal the cords and wires but your husband has to be on board with organizing the cords and concealing them. I opted for a metal media console by a young designer named Jonah Takagi for our condo space, mostly because the lines of the support beams and leg placement looked quirky and interesting. I use it as a TV stand and shelf for occasional books. The books do an ok job of hiding the cords. You can try some objets as well. It does have the advantage of being a lot less bulky than wood. Just rotated some coffee table books from the media console tonight:
I don't understand how you are hiding all the wires. My husband is a tech junkie so maybe we just have too many - there are two gaming systems, a full-size computer, a security camera, and two other things I can't identify hooked up to it. There must be 50 pounds of wire back there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 05:21 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times
Quote:
I don’t think glass/metal media consoles suit a lot of people’s taste. There are tricks to conceal the cords and wires but your husband has to be on board with organizing the cords and concealing them. I opted for a metal media console by a young designer named Jonah Takagi for our condo space, mostly because the lines of the support beams and leg placement looked quirky and interesting. I use it as a TV stand and shelf for occasional books. The books do an ok job of hiding the cords. You can try some objets as well. It does have the advantage of being a lot less bulky than wood. Just rotated some coffee table books from the media console tonight:

Except I see your main cord and outlet to the left. I hate seeing wires.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:05 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Yep.

And I'm surprised the TV is in front of a window. That's so bad for your eyes.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Yep.

Agreed. The glare behind that tv would drive me crazy.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:24 AM

Monograms are big down here. On front doors and on pillows and bedding ... even stickers on car windows. But enough is enough.

I also am tired of massively overdone Tuscan-style kitchens. I never would have thought I would be a fan of anything called "modern," but I am loving Scandinavian-inspired simplicity.

Of course, in a couple years I'll be here complaining about that lol.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:50 AM

30,484 posts, read 16,194,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
what does the bolded mean?

I think Joanna Gaines does nice work, although it's not completely my style, it's a bit more rustic and farmhouse than my preference. But it generally looks comfortable and livable to me.

Nothing wrong with it-I rather like the stye. It's just that all her designs look the same. It's kind of like watching reruns that aren't reruns.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Monograms are big down here. On front doors and on pillows and bedding ... even stickers on car windows. But enough is enough.

I also am tired of massively overdone Tuscan-style kitchens. I never would have thought I would be a fan of anything called "modern," but I am loving Scandinavian-inspired simplicity.

Of course, in a couple years I'll be here complaining about that lol.

I've always like simplicity. I don't like clutter or all the Chotchkies that people have Designers love those

Old 01-14-2018, 09:02 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,345,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I don't understand how you are hiding all the wires. My husband is a tech junkie so maybe we just have too many - there are two gaming systems, a full-size computer, a security camera, and two other things I can't identify hooked up to it. There must be 50 pounds of wire back there.
Hmm that does sound like an excessive amount of electronics for a common space. I hope it is in an office or a media room. In any case, I would start with untangling all the cords and wires. Then coil and tie each cord and wire so that you don’t get that billowing cloud of wires and cords. Sometimes that already goes a long way in reducing cord eyesore, and will help you visualize where to place books to strategically hide the coiled cables. The internet is also full of ideas on cord and cable management. Look up Houzz and Apartmenttherapy.

Quote:
Obviously it bothers you more than it does me. For me the bigger eyesore is the black cord from the lamp next to the LCW.

Quote:
Yep.

This would be a definite consideration if we spend a lot of time watching TV during the day. Our professional responsibilities dictate another lifestyle for us. The more important consideration is seating arrangement, which is more important to me in terms of interior design. The condo has built in wall plates for TV mounting and cables, and it is a logical place for custom cabinetry to hold the TV. But that would require arranging seating that encourages looking at the wall/TV rather than looking outside. My pet peeve in glass-walled highrise condos is when people arrange seating to face an interior wall. Other people might feel differently but my condo, my rules.

Quote:
Agreed. The glare behind that tv would drive me crazy.
I’m not sure if you mean something else? Just so people reading don’t get confused, glare is light reflected off the TV or monitor screen, not light coming from behind the TV. In most glass-walled condos, daytime glare actually happens most severely when the TV is placed in an interior wall. One way to mitigate glare is to actually place the TV in front of the window rather than let the TV face a large window. The bigger issue is night time glare from interior lights, which is the time when we watch TV. This affects all interiors with night time TV viewing, not just the glass-walled spaces. As you can see from the photo, the TV acts like a mirror and reflects interior lights. Dim all interior lights that cause glare when watching TV at night.

If you meant the strain on the eye from daytime TV watching due to the contrast between daylight and the TV, lowering the solar shades with the click of a button will mitigate that problem. But we’re not home during the day most of the time so we haven’t had the need to lower the shades yet. I’m glad you mentioned that though. For readers who want to or have to place a TV in front of a window, I do recommend installing shades for daytime TV viewing.

I think a discussion on cable management and electronics is really timely, especially with electronics becoming ever more integral to our day-to-day living. With many things moving towards wifi and wireless, I’m hoping a lot of wires and cables we have to deal with will be minimized in the very near future. Thinking about electronics also brings up a crucial concept about design: the choices we make are not made in isolation. Always consider the options and choose a design/layout that is synchronized with your design priorities and lifestyle. It may take several tries before you get it the way you want it, but at least you are thinking. Thoughtlessness is never in style.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:05 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,294,354 times
Quote:
I hate seeing all the wires. My husband and I didn't have room in a spare bedroom for the two nightstands. Since they had square edges we put both of them together for his tv in the living room. It;s actually pretty nice, very sturdy and has drawers to hide stuff in. I now for our next living room we will look for nightstands
Hey, what a good idea. I'm going to do that. I hate our TV stand, which in this place is just an occasional table, but in other places I've had those purpose-built things and like one other poster I kept hoping someone would steal that but no one ever did.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:

This would be a definite consideration if we spend a lot of time watching TV during the day. Our professional responsibilities dictate another lifestyle for us.
It's fortunate that you don't watch football games on weekends during the day, when the contrast would be a problem for the eyes, not "just" glare.

Quote:
The more important consideration is seating arrangement, which is more important to me in terms of interior design.
It's just surprising that someone who enjoys insulting other posters for their design choices would allow such an afterthought in what is apparently the main room of her home.

Quote:
Thoughtlessness is never in style.
Neither are arrogance and condescension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I hate our TV stand, which in this place is just an occasional table, but in other places I've had those purpose-built things and like one other poster I kept hoping someone would steal that but no one ever did.
Luckily these days companies know cord management is an issue for people. There are so many DIY options these days for camouflaging them. But using unconventional furniture to hold the TV is a cool idea too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating