Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2018, 06:49 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times

Advertisements

I think it was just by luck but I've noticed that two of the pictures I've put up fall into the vanishing point.

One is a Far East river painting, where the town and boats vanish into the high far corner of the wall. The other is print, "Reclining Dancer" by Steve Joester, where the model is looking into the high far corner....and once again, I just happened to mount the frame there.

The latter is on the same wall, but off to one side, above the doorway to the utility room and garage. For so long, it has been a blank wall, just a doorway to another room. With the next picture to go up, however........

I am about to place "Reflections" (sort of like this, http://c8.alamy.com/comp/J2JPGR/ball...ion-J2JPGR.jpg but with the model full in both images, studying herself) over that doorway and it struck me how inspirational it was, a guide awaiting as I stepped out to the car for each trip. In "Reflections", the dancer is looking in the direction of looking through the door.

It wasn't the picture I was looking for in my collection. I was going to do two prints of dancers with ribbons but this one came to the surface, first.

This pictures weren't bought for this house but for other places, bought at other times; the painting was inherited.

So here are the questions:

When we have a LOT of pictures, is it just by luck or are we guided by some artistic mentality, perhaps that which we don't recognize, on the placement of pictures?

Once that we have seen we have done it, is it something we strive for more......or, do we only realize that we have done it once we have done it again?

Do we place pictures where they will give us the best feelings for ourselves?

This last question I think, for myself, is yes, such as where I placed "Jazz Power", at a place in the kitchen to remind me to eat with health in mind.

Of course, some of my huge art works are planned for locations so if one mount fails, they will fall with the least potential for destruction.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 11:49 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
I'm not sure I understand, since I can't see your space. As far as knowing where to put things, I think you just, over time, see how others decorate space, and collect that mental data as to what looks good. And if you have a piece you just love, so you put it up, even if you put it up where an earthquake won't land it on your head, you then work from that point of reference to fill the space around it in a way that .... works.

So, even if your decorating has turned out magical, without really thinking about it, you still have that knowledge or sense subconsciously, from observing and absorbing over time.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:41 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,748,815 times
I have a lot of artwork and I have hung or placed the paintings in places where I think they complement the surroundings and vice versa and where I can see them to their best advantage.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm not sure I understand, since I can't see your space. As far as knowing where to put things, I think you just, over time, see how others decorate space, and collect that mental data as to what looks good. And if you have a piece you just love, so you put it up, even if you put it up where an earthquake won't land it on your head, you then work from that point of reference to fill the space around it in a way that .... works.

So, even if your decorating has turned out magical, without really thinking about it, you still have that knowledge or sense subconsciously, from observing and absorbing over time.
A fear of mine is that a length wise (landscape?) picture will pick the moment for one of the two mounts to fail and swing down to behead that of a guest. So when it comes to those frames, such as "Animals on Parade" (it's big, it's long, and they are marching toward you), they aren't selected to go across main door ways.

AS IT IS, I have had a frame failure or two. A few months ago, the mount on a cardboard frame, about 10+ years old, failed. It fell off the wall, took the box frame and another cardboard frame under it down in a crash in the middle of the night.

So for all those frames I bought in Michael's opening sale, it appears I might need many more down the road.

I want to place my dance art work in my dance room but between space limitations (mirrors for the dance room) and just that there is so much art work, it may just be that things "fall" as they do.....hence back to the thread topic.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Here in CA, we learn how to bolt stuff to the walls because of earthquakes. Put an eye bolt into a stud, and run a wire through it. In other words, instead of just having the wire on the back of a frame that you hook over a screw, you have an eye bolt into a stud instead of a screw, and you run a wire through it - or figure out some other ingenious way to bolt the picture (or shelving unit, etc.) to a stud in the wall.

Or, you just don't hang heavy things where they can fall on people. I do a little of both :-)

Old 03-15-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
......Or, you just don't hang heavy things where they can fall on people. I do a little of both :-)
As I said, they aren't selected to go across main door ways or the access to the guest part of the house.

As I was leaving the house today on a morning errand, I caught a glimpse of the various animal, as in that one might find hanging at the Vet's office, art waiting to be placed on some wall. I think I will place that in the bathroom that serves, when needed, as the pet isolation room, such as fasting before a trip to the vet dentist.

The placement will probably be without vanishing points, mostly because most of that pet art is without it. Most of it but not all for there is a Melody Pena pencil work of profiles, of a Tiger, of a Lion, and then the house cat looking in the same direction. It just seems appropriate to place it there, in that room. Now what effect it may have on any guest that uses that bathroom is unknown.

One catch is, however, moisture from the shower and how it might affect the works. For the time being with a lack of guests, that should not be a problem. If I do have guests, though, the pictures should be removed from that room first, right?

I have a Talbot like poster of "Whale" (just the tail on a dive from the surface) which for years was at one end of the apartment shower, on the wall and above. The plastic of the frame shows all the moisture but I don't know if that poster is permanently applied to the plastic.

Anyone have any suggestions about art work next to showers? Aside from DON'T, I mean?

I will probably place that kind of pet art work in the utility room as well for if I do get a dog, that will be his or her place when I am away since the floor is tiled.

In my parent's house, that was where the dogs were kept as well when they were out, in the tiled utility room right off the garage. Now, I don't think they thought way, but is having the dog there a good notion for security as well?

Old 03-24-2018, 06:44 PM

Well, SIGH! The best laid plans of mice and men..........

Those pet pictures? Almost all were inherited from Mom and she liked her frames with glass. I've had enough pictures fall off the walls so I do mine in plastic so they are to be re-framed before they go back up.

"Reflections"? Where I wanted to put it was too near the ceiling to put nail in, so I've had to opt to much lighter works that only need a push pin.

Still, inspiration is not lost for instead over the door way, lower so nails and hangers can be used, out to the world is [http://michaelmay.us/08blog/gallery/0716a_witchestide.jpg]
Frank Frazetta, "The Sea Witch", "Witches' Tide" or as I like to call it, "Our Lady of the Lake".

Ie, "This is the Time, this is the Hour, this is my Magic, Now Witness My Power!". I know it doesn't quite go like that, but I like The Return of the Jedi paraphrase better.

ANYHOW, if one has enough art work, odds are they can find a piece to fit the "language" of where it is mounted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating