Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 04:59 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times

Advertisements

I agree that the items posted are not attractive. I just can't do mixed metals, and as a child of the 70s, I have had it up to here with brass ANYwhere.

Those pieces make me think of the vanity set my grandmother had:

I mean, Thomas Kinkade has been around for years and is very popular, too, but his stuff is not exactly "art."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 05:24 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I agree that the items posted are not attractive. I just can't do mixed metals, and as a child of the 70s, I have had it up to here with brass ANYwhere.

Those pieces make me think of the vanity set my grandmother had:

I mean, Thomas Kinkade has been around for years and is very popular, too, but his stuff is not exactly "art."
I don't like the photo you posted either. Or Kinkade.

The trays are nothing like that.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:31 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Sorry, I'm not lovin' 'em either.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:31 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post

Has the home owner asked you to provide decorative items?
We send each other ideas all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post

If so - have you considered the home owner's personal taste and preferences before suggesting the Pier One bowls?
NO! I fired up the Internet, closed my eyes and picked the first thing that came up.

The Pier One items absolutely go with her decor, which has silver lamps and accessories and pillows with teals, silvers, and golds. The room is somewhere between transitional and rustic - not extreme rustic. The table it would go on is transitional.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:36 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post

The trays are nothing like that.
I realize that. That's what the trays YOU posted make me think of when I see them. That's the intangible. That's the factor that designers can't control: HOW a piece affects the consumer.

Some like it; some don't. So far a majority of CD posters don't happen to like the trays you posted. **Shrug**

As you said, taste IS subjective! Guess you'll just have to keep laughing.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:05 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder!
I don't know nothing about "interior decor", but those things would never be seen in my house.
I would rather buy from Fingerhut than Pier 1 Imports!

Old 07-11-2016, 06:10 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
To me I would rather have 1 friend who tells me what they REALLY think than 10 friends who blow smoke to be tactful. I consider a person a real friend when they feel comfortable enough to tell me how they really feel. Brown nosers are a dime a dozen
Telling someone that something isn't their style isn't 'blowing smoke'.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:29 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
I don't see anything Baroque or Regency there.

We trade ideas back and forth all the time. Actually, she has taken a lot of my suggestions in the past, even though she has a narrow range.
I was thinking of a style that is very ornate and those were the terms that came to mind. Sorry if they were incorrect; however, I stand by my perception of the gold leaf dish as very ornate/ formal and not modern/rustic.

What does 'a narrow range' mean?

Last edited by tangelag; 07-11-2016 at 07:24 PM..

Old 07-11-2016, 06:44 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
What in INSIDE the trays have nothing to do with anything. That's just how they displayed it and does not even pertain to this discussion.

Regardless of the past, mixed metals are on trend right now, and have been displayed in a big way at the High Point Market this year.

It's made of stainless steel and brass. Not sure how those metals translate as "cheap".

Here are silver and brass items at Neiman Marcus for instance:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Michael-...&cmCat=product

Michael Aram Gold Orchid Medium Vase
I don't hate the Neiman's pieces. Not to my taste, but I can see them looking nice in some homes. But the brass is three dimensional, and has detail. The Pier 1 copies have trim that looks stamped. I don't see any comparison between the two, other than materials used.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:19 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
Looks like something someone in their 90s would use to display dusty artificial fruit.

The handles remind me of wired star garland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating