Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 08:56 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. Quick decor-type question for you.

I am currently planning the remodel of my kitchen and dining room, even though the remodel is likely 2 years away. I am planning to have 2 walls of built-ins in the dining room for extra storage and display. The cabinets will be 18" deep (maximum) which leaves plenty of room for my dining table and chairs in the middle of the room (with about 3.5 feet in back of the chairs -- more space than I have now!).

I am thinking about the types of cabinets to have. On one wall, I have 8' of space and was thinking about 2 33"-wide tall cabinets with a regular 30"-wide base/wall combo in the middle. The tall cabinets will be one of these (all would go to the ceiling):
- double doors on the bottom (go up 34.5") and at the top (top 18") with an open space in the middle -- all with adjustable shelves
- double doors on the bottom with all adjustable shelves above
- 3 drawers on the bottom (go up 34.5") with all adjustable shelves above

I would use the open shelves for display (e.g., Fiestaware, of which I have a ton!) but some "storage" as well. I am mostly thinking about how much "closed" space (i.e. behind doors) I need versus "open" space. One thing I have in my current dining room is a shallow bookcase that I use for containers of pasta, flour, etc. Here's a photo (the green cabinets are kinda messy, sorry! -- focus on the pasta containers on the bookcase, please!):

I think the containers look fine as I am SO not formal (and none of my rooms are either), but I'm curious as to what people think? I would add chalkboard labels to the front of all the containers I use to make them more decorative.

I would also likely use some of the open shelving for small appliances, but probably only for those that are decorative as well as useful (e.g., I have a large slow cooker that has a molded-ceramic green finish with olives etc. -- hard to describe, but it's really pretty!).

Any thoughts on this? For that matter, any thoughts on designing built-in cabinets for a dining room? The other wall will be set up with a bar and will have a small sink (there will be a dishwasher on the other side of the wall), wine racks, an under-cabinet refrigerator, etc. Lots of storage in cabinets there too.

As I wrote, I'm still in the planning (and DREAMING! ) stage now, so any and all suggestions are welcome!

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 07-23-2016 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 03:37 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Google craftsman built ins for cabinetry ideas. There are many different ways to go.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I would not have open shelves for jars of ingredients or small appliances. I think these are fine for kitchens, but I don't like them for a dining room. Open shelves for decorative items--yes. Why not put a nice china cab or hutch in there for dish storage?

If food storage must be found in the dining area, I'd use doors or drawers. I would probably paint them the same color as the walls, so they would blend and not stand out.

Since you are planning a new kitchen, plan to use lazy susans in the corner cabs for your small appliances. That's my recommendation.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:32 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I would not have open shelves for jars of ingredients or small appliances. I think these are fine for kitchens, but I don't like them for a dining room. Open shelves for decorative items--yes. Why not put a nice china cab or hutch in there for dish storage?

If food storage must be found in the dining area, I'd use doors or drawers. I would probably paint them the same color as the walls, so they would blend and not stand out.

Since you are planning a new kitchen, plan to use lazy susans in the corner cabs for your small appliances. That's my recommendation.
I'd agree with this.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:12 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Overall it feels like a lot of cabinetry. I'd also reduce overall the amount of open storage.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:07 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I would not do open shelving for anything but decorative items in a dining room. And only one wall of cabinetry, esp. when you are talking about a bar on one wall too - that would make 3 walls full of cabinetry! Sorry but looking at your picture makes me feel claustrophobic and that those wall are closing in on me.

My dining room isn't formal but I would still want to feel relaxed in it, not like I was sitting inside a pantry. I would focus on the kitchen design to make sure you have adequate space in there for storage of those items, as well as appliances, even of you have to take some space from the dining room to do it.

Then you can figure out something great for one wall with some open and closed shelving that can display and give you extra storage without it overwhelming the rest of the dining room. Some great ideas here in the gallery of photos.

Dining Room Cabinets - Dining Room Ideas | Dining Room Ideas

Old 07-23-2016, 09:10 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
It is your home so do what you like.
Personally the more built in the better for our home.
We do not have a lot built in yet but we will soon.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:03 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I would not have open shelves for jars of ingredients or small appliances. I think these are fine for kitchens, but I don't like them for a dining room. Open shelves for decorative items--yes.
Also agree with silibran. Some examples (of course these could be done in another color or wood
stain):

Minus the subway tile:
https://cdn.decorpad.com/photos/2015...chen-hutch.jpg

http://theinspiredroom.net/wp-conten...In-Cabinet.jpg

Room for a window seat:
https://cdn.decorpad.com/photos/2015...na-cabinet.jpg

Old 07-24-2016, 06:47 AM

492 posts, read 638,170 times
If we are dreaming... It sounds like you don't have enough storage in your kitchen for pantry items and appliances. I'd try and fix that problem first. Does the dining room back up to the kitchen? Maybe you can take down a wall and make a big eat in kitchen. This could give you room for a proper pantry, and automatically gives the dining area license to be much less formal. A peninsula or island secondary prep sink could double as the bar sink. Then a wall of builtins could be used to display that awesom fiestaware.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:20 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
I love my Fiesta ware so I know how you feel that you want to display it. Very colorful and fun.

I am in agreement that pasta containers are not good for displaying out in the open. No matter how you dress them up, they just don't quite fit in a dining room display. That would work in the kitchen but not so well in the dining room.

I absolutely adore the ideas from the links that were given by the two posters above (gave a rep to both ) and think you should consider those types of options. You can display the pretty Fiesta stuff and still hide the kitchen stuff. Fiesta is appropriate for the dining room, kitchen stuff.... not so much. That is why it is kitchen stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating